onboard account questions

stacieps

My Girl Scout troop is sailing on the Fascination in August. The GS Troop will be paying for gratuities for the group, however, spending money is the responsibility of each girl.

I have filled out our Fun Pass so that I am the only person with charging privileges and used my personal credit card information (so that the girls will have to make their purchases thru me, and give me cash). Is there a better way to do this? The girls will be bringing a maximum of $100 each for the entire trip (ship, Nassau, Half Moon Cay), so I don't think we want to tie up too much of their money having a cash onboard account.

Also, can I go to guest services and make a payment towards the onboard account using a different credit/debit card other than the one that is listed on my account? Since the GS Troop is paying gratuities, I would like to use the Troop debit card to pay $400 ($50x8) towards the account, but leave my pesonal credit card on record for charging. Using the GS debit card would eliminate the need for me to carry the $400 in cash.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm sure there is something that I didn't think of.

Are you prepaying all the tips??

I have my sister's account turned off for spending. If she wants to buy something, I go with her and use my card. You can turn off all but your own account if you want and add as many bookings to your account to be responsible for as you want.

You can set up limits on each individual sign and sail card. If girl A brings $100. put the $100 cash down on the card and make that the limit. girl "B" brought $400. put the cash down and thats her limit. No need to put it all on your CC.

You can set up limits on each individual sign and sail card. If girl A brings $100. put the $100 cash down on the card and make that the limit. girl "B" brought $400. put the cash down and thats her limit. No need to put it all on your CC.

No girl will bring more than $100 - that is the limit the troop has set. My fear with putting their cash on their accounts is that then they don't have it if they decide to buy something in Nassau. My thought is to have anything they buy on ship put on my account, they give me the cash, and I can apply it to the account a couple times during the week so I won't actually be charging it to my credit card. By not giving them charging privileges, it makes it less convenient for them, but gives me control so I know how much they are spending (and what they are spending it on before a purchase is made).

How does cash on your account work if you don't spend it all? I thought I remember it being refunded in check form. I just don't think cash will work best for this trip considering the make up of the group.

100 dollars is not much for a 5 day trip. If the girls want soda cards...that's 40-50 dollars right there.

They won't need money in half moon cay...but if they want a t-shirt, a snack, etc in Nassau...that's 20 -30 bucks.

Then, if you all do group pics with the ship photog, that's 20 a pic...unless you buy one and reproduce it at home.

Souvenirs on the ship...t-shirts at least 10 dollars and build a bear if they do that is at least 20 dollars or if there are other activities the girls want to do that have an extra fee.

You don't say how old the girls are, in the troop. But, if they are old enough (14?), there is the pay coffee bar that also makes milk shakes and sells desserts.

Plus, they will need singles for room service to tip for delivery. I would say at least 100 for the account plus 50 in cash at a minimum.

prepay your gratuities that will take care of that problem then you can just change the s&s to your credit card, just have the GS troop issue you a check for the gratuities.

Your idea of have them have no spending priviliages is good. that way they can buget themselves out. a 5 day cruise you must have 2 sea days? and 2 ports? so if they spend 25 each port, that gives them 50 for onboard spending. sounds good to me.

100 dollars is not much for a 5 day trip. If the girls want soda cards...that's 40-50 dollars right there.

They won't need money in half moon cay...but if they want a t-shirt, a snack, etc in Nassau...that's 20 -30 bucks.

Then, if you all do group pics with the ship photog, that's 20 a pic...unless you buy one and reproduce it at home.

Souvenirs on the ship...t-shirts at least 10 dollars and build a bear if they do that is at least 20 dollars or if there are other activities the girls want to do that have an extra fee.

If they are 17 or under, it should be $25.88 for a 5 day

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

Thanks for the input. The girls are all 13. The spending money has to stay at $100 (we have 6 families with varying financial abilities and this is the amount the girls agreed to). We spent a week at Disney last summer with $100 spending money and they were fine. I've advised them not to "waste" their money on a soda card, but if they choose to, then then will have less to spend on other things.

Our ports are Nassau and Half Moon Cay. In Nassau we're spending the day at Atlantis and using troop funds for lunch. I expect they will do some shopping (near dock, not Atlantis), but $50- should be plenty, leaving $50+ for the ship and Half Moon Cay (I don't expect they'll spend here).

I expect chaperones will probably each buy a round of "drinks" (smoothies or sodas), so the girls will get a couple of special drinks during the 5 days.

I know to some it doesn't sound like enough spending money, but that is part of the learning and choices. We worked hard to raise the money to go on the trip (the girls' families only have to contribute $50 plus the spending money). They chose to book rooms at Comfort Suites to use Atlantis. They are aware of their limits on board (like soda, etc). My daughter has been on 11 cruises so I know it is absolutely possible to get by with only $100 per girl (I'm sure my daughter will come home with 1/2 of it, but that's because she knows she'll go again whereas the other may not).

can't really comment on the "how to" question, although your approach seems reasonable. Wanted to just say that I think $100 should be okay (tight but doable) as we just did the same itinerary. (assuming tips are being covered separately).

Granted, we're not pre-teen girls, but aside from our spa treatments, we came in under the $100 per person. Sodas were $2.99 and I bought one a day... maybe two for HMC day. DH bought a milkshake or two ($3 or so) and a funship freddy stuffed animal for DS ($10) and some other little odds and ends. We purchased one group pic for $11, I think.

The video games were VERY expensive we noted... this could be a serious cash-flow issue for the girls.

I'm really amazed at how many people think $100 per girl isn't enough. My two kids are 12 and 14 and have a few cruises under their belts now and they don't spend $100. They get a limit, they choose how to spend it and when it's gone, it's gone. You can never teach them how to budget too early. Perhaps our country wouldn't be in the mess it's in now if more of us had Girl Scout leaders like you when we were young. As a parent, thank you for taking the time to teach these young women how to work hard to raise the money (not rely on mom and dad to just hand it over), spend wisely and stay within their means! I wish there were more like you!!:) Sorry I don't actually have an answer to your original question, though. I'm sure you will work out the best way to handle it!

Let them take what they want. If I wanted to let my kid take more than the $100.00 I would. No way would I let other people decide what my kid needs.

It is a teaching moment. Maybe some life lessons, OP stated what was agreed upon and they are sticking to it.

100 per day sounds good. If they want soda let them carry some on since they do not have to smuggle.:p

It is a teaching moment. Maybe some life lessons, OP stated what was agreed upon and they are sticking to it.

100 per day sounds good. If they want soda let them carry some on since they do not have to smuggle.:p

It's $100 for the whole trip. $100 will not go far if they want to buy gifts for themselves and family, plus video games, soda and all. Let them take what they want.

I'm really amazed at how many people think $100 per girl isn't enough. My two kids are 12 and 14 and have a few cruises under their belts now and they don't spend $100. They get a limit, they choose how to spend it and when it's gone, it's gone. You can never teach them how to budget too early. Perhaps our country wouldn't be in the mess it's in now if more of us had Girl Scout leaders like you when we were young. As a parent, thank you for taking the time to teach these young women how to work hard to raise the money (not rely on mom and dad to just hand it over), spend wisely and stay within their means! I wish there were more like you!!:) Sorry I don't actually have an answer to your original question, though. I'm sure you will work out the best way to handle it!

What she said... :D

I put 100.00 limit on my 12 yr old sons sail card and he always has plenty left over.when we do things on port days i do pay for his meal and whatever we do but he is not much of a shopper the only thing he spends money on is cheese cake from the coffee shop and a few dollars in the arcade.

I think $100 per girl is very doable. We just got back from a 4 day cruise and for a family of 4 only spent maybe $150 all together. I think maybe I would put small intervals of cash on each girls sail and sign card. Like maybe each girl put $10 down and then as they run through it they give you some money to make a purchase. Or you could put your credit card down and then put some cash down as well. They'll use the cash before the card and as the girls spend money you put more on your card if there is any left on it at the end of the cruise than you'll get a check you can then cash right there at guest services. You could also prepay the tips ahead of time so you wouldn't have to worry about wrong charges going to the girl scout account. I do agree with keeping the limits the same. I know when I was in girl scouts we all could only bring the same amount as well. It may punish some who like to shop but this is about spending time with friends. In the end it will keep everyone happy and nobody feeling left out that they don't have a small fortune and may feel left out!

Let them take what they want. If I wanted to let my kid take more than the $100.00 I would. No way would I let other people decide what my kid needs.

The "other people" that decided on the amount were the girls, themselves. They probably discussed it and researched it and then took a vote. As a Girl Scout Leader myself, I am sure these girls will be able to manage fine with the $100 limit. My troop would be so excited to have this opportunity that they wouldn't care if they were told that they couldn't buy anything in the ports or on the ship!

The "other people" that decided on the amount were the girls, themselves. They probably discussed it and researched it and then took a vote. As a Girl Scout Leader myself, I am sure these girls will be able to manage fine with the $100 limit. My troop would be so excited to have this opportunity that they wouldn't care if they were told that they couldn't buy anything in the ports or on the ship!

Another GS Leader/Advisor agrees. Great learning opportunities. The girls had a voice in the decision and there's more to having fun than spending money. To the OP, I'd also suggest prepaying the gratuities. Otherwise, I think you have a good plan. Have a terrific time!

Thank you for all your responses. I'm going to check into pre-paying gratuities so that will eliminate the need to use the Girl Scout debit card while on ship.

To the other Girl Scout leaders - these girls are all so excited, this will be our 3rd major trip, and for almost all of them, it is the only traveling they've done, so you are right, they would have a great time even if they didn't have any spending money!

lcmc - I am lucky to have girls in my troop that are happy to make a decision together and stick to it. Not one of them will bring more than $100. I'm proud of them for how they've worked together to make decisions about a trip (where, when, what they will do, how to raise the money to pay for the trip, and how much spending money they can bring). What these girls understand is that each of their families are in different positions financially - by agreeing to a reasonable amount and setting that as their limit, they help to eliminate hurt feelings while on this trip they've worked so hard for. The trip is about spending time and experiencing new things together -- not shopping (none of them wants to be the "buddy" of the girl who decides to bring $500 if an amount is not set). No, $100 will not buy gifts for a whole family, but it is more than enough to buy a couple of souveniors of a trip taken with a group of teenage friends.

Archived