Oasis May 24th 4:50 pm Man Overboard?

Were sailing on the Oasis this week ...Captain just announced that we are turning around to search for a missing person. No word if it was a passenger or crewmen but our thoughts are for a successful rescue.

wow, i didnt get any update here, so I decided to google it and found a story at

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/05/articles/disappearances-1/another-overboard-from-a-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-oasis-of-the-seas/

And this news site is reporting a man overboard.... based on this cruise critic thread! I guess cruise critic has some serious pull in the world of late breaking cruise news

wow, i didnt get any update here, so I decided to google it and found a story at

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/05/articles/disappearances-1/another-overboard-from-a-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-oasis-of-the-seas/

And this news site is reporting a man overboard.... based on this cruise critic thread! I guess cruise critic has some serious pull in the world of late breaking cruise news

I wouldn't get too excited about it. It's just a blogger who knows that Cruise Critic forums are often the source of live reports, and who has the skills needed to include his blog in the Google index process. :)

I hope we get some updated information soon. Anybody know one of those sites that shows the ship's course and speed? If we had that we would know if they are still looking or not.

Theron

I read it an hour or so ago on my Facebook page from a crew friend. She said it was a crew member.

Hopefully it's not one of those divers. From sailing on her the thing that kept worrying me was how easy it looked like it would be for one of the divers to slip off the high dive and go off the back.

If this is true, man that didn't take long did it? I mean there's already an incident like this and the ship barely has a barnacle on it and still has that "new ship" smell.

I feel sorry for the person and their family and tough luck for RCI.

I hope we get some updated information soon. Anybody know one of those sites that shows the ship's course and speed? If we had that we would know if they are still looking or not.

Theron

marinetraffic.com is such a site but it only shows ships within a certain range. Oasis won't show up in the area of the ocean it's in right now. You can check to see if it shows up in St. Thomas tomorrow.

I don't think the age of a ship has any relevance on passengers going over or any other human caused incident. When we sailed on the Liberty of the Seas 4th sailing we were on high alert because she was just recovering from a severe noro virus outbreak that started on her 2nd sailing. It just goes to show that new or old ship if it's a human caused incident it can happen anywhere at anytime. The Oasis has a much higher capacity which creates more chances for things to happen. My big concern is that when I was onboard it felt like I was often the only one around when on the promenade deck or aqua theater area at night. If someone went over how quickly would RCCL even know if no one is around to see/hear it?

Apparently the ship crewman who joined the Oasis in Fort Lauderdale was listed as missing at 10:30am when he failed to report for work. The crew conducted a thorough search of the ship failing to find the man the Captain notified the U.S. Coast Guard. The Coast Guard along with the Oasis are conducting the search with the aid of search planes of the path we sailed on from Naussau. The Captain informed the everyone this evening that our itinerary will change to reflect the lost time. We will no longer stop at St. Thomas. This is a very small inconvenience considering what the crewman family must be going through.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to them.

Apparently the ship crewman who joined the Oasis in Fort Lauderdale was listed as missing at 10:30am when he failed to report for work. The crew conducted a thorough search of the ship failing to find the man the Captain notified the U.S. Coast Guard. The Coast Guard along with the Oasis are conducting the search with the aid of search planes of the path we sailed on from Naussau. The Captain informed the everyone this evening that our itinerary will change to reflect the lost time. We will no longer stop at St. Thomas. This is a very small inconvenience considering what the crewman family must be going through.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to them.

Wow. Did the captain actually announce that it was a crewmember? I'm just curious how these things are handled? So sad. I hope everyone has the same attitude about the missed stop that you do.

What if the crewman never boarded the ship and they are searching for nothing.

My POV is DON'T JUMP, you just ruined 6000 peoples vacation because you decided to jump overboard. If we had to change itinerary because of some DUMB ASS, I would be fuming.....And would demand a partial refund.

What if the crewman never boarded the ship and they are searching for nothing.

My POV is DON'T JUMP, you just ruined 6000 peoples vacation because you decided to jump overboard. If we had to change itinerary because of some DUMB ASS, I would be fuming.....And would demand a partial refund.

Seriously???? Don't assume that this person decided to jump, it very easily could have been an accident but if not, then it still is a tragedy. Basicallyou are the DUMB #@@ for even writing such a post.

I'm proud to be a Dumb A@@!!! Thank you very much. But with the railing being about waist level how could it be an non intentional?

Accident or not that's a horrible thing to post....No amount of money is worth more than a human life. Oh and btw, St. Thomas isn't even as good as St. Maarten so ur not missing much just in case your selfish mind is wondering

Archived