3 questions about Juneau; aerial tram, Mendenhall Glacier, & Red Dog Saloon

DisneyGirlJess

Can you suggest some names? :)

The Twisted Fish is popular with tourists and locals. And I see they have their fabulous deep-fried halibut on the menu! I've also heard good things about the halibut tacos.

Same people own The Hanger. Better views of the water, a bit more local crowd, white-collar movers and shakers, not fishermen.

Casual but expensive and worth every penny is Tracy's Crab Shack. Only seating is barstools and picnic tables.

The Paradise Cafe is the breakfast, lunch and coffee/tea place. Views, outside seating, great casual, healthy food.

There's a couple of Mexican restaurants that locals love, but having lived in CA for 25 years, I will not pay for chips refills.

For that beer but with authentic atmosphere, try The Alaskan Bar, the Triangle Club, The Viking or the Imperial Bar.

Google any of these places. They all have websites.

The Twisted Fish is popular with tourists and locals. And I see they have their fabulous deep-fried halibut on the menu! I've also heard good things about the halibut tacos.

Same people own The Hanger. Better views of the water, a bit more local crowd, white-collar movers and shakers, not fishermen.

Casual but expensive and worth every penny is Tracy's Crab Shack. Only seating is barstools and picnic tables.

The Paradise Cafe is the breakfast, lunch and coffee/tea place. Views, outside seating, great casual, healthy food.

There's a couple of Mexican restaurants that locals love, but having lived in CA for 25 years, I will not pay for chips refills.

For that beer but with authentic atmosphere, try The Alaskan Bar, the Triangle Club, The Viking or the Imperial Bar.

Google any of these places. They all have websites.

Thank you so much, I appreciate those suggestions! :)

Just returned from our cruise. If you go to Mt Robert's Tramway first, they have a combo ticket for the tram and the glacier at $35. That is less than the $27 for the tram and $14 for the blue bus. They have their own "nice" coaches. The bus driver even did a narrrated tour on the way to the glacier. Saved money and didn't have to hassle with getting to the blue bus.

Then we walked into town and went to the Red Dog also.

Nice Day.:)

ECSLADY,

The combo ticket sounds like a good idea. I was wondering where the bus dropped you off at the Glacier. I had read previously that the public bus drops you off about 1/2 mile away from the visitors center. When you purchase the combo ticket is this the public bus?

Also, where did you purchase the combo ticket?

Thanks

Cruisernat: If the day is a clear one and we decide to go up the Mt. Roberts tramway, would you suggest doing that first and then go out to the Mendenhall glacier? or does it really make any difference?

Does the combo ticket get you the bus ride out, as much time as you want at the glacier, and then they will pick you up near the Visitor Center for the ride back into town?

Cruisernat: If the day is a clear one and we decide to go up the Mt. Roberts tramway, would you suggest doing that first and then go out to the Mendenhall glacier? or does it really make any difference?

Does the combo ticket get you the bus ride out, as much time as you want at the glacier, and then they will pick you up near the Visitor Center for the ride back into town?

Foxhill,

Sorry to have misled you by my post. I should have "quoted" and not "cut and pasted". If you look again you will see I too was trying to ask a question from a previous post (ECSLADY) about Mendenhall glacier and Mt. Roberts tramway. I hope you get the answer you were looking for from someone with more knowledge than I. Enjoy your trip.

Cruisernat

Thank you everybody, that info really helps. Nobody's ever been to Red Dog Saloon?

I was at the Red Dog Saloon just a few days ago and loved every minute of it. I was able to be seated at a table and ordered an Alaskan Amber Ale (the hamburgers were too expensive for me, but I'd had the beer before and really liked it). There was a piano player playing who was a hoot and the crowd was singing loudly with him, so I joined in while eyeing all the strange 'decorations': Wyatt Earp's gun, a bear chasing a miner up a tree, lots and lots of caps, and an assortment of other oddities too numerous to mention. There's sawdust on the floor. It's definitely touristy but if you like that kind of thing (which I do), then I recommend it.

But in any case, at least stick your head in the doorway to see the interior.

We will be in Juneau in early September & plan to do the tram, good to know they have a combo ticket to see Mendenhall. This will be my 2nd time in Juneau (last time was 29years ago) and my wife's first time. Is there a time limit for between the Tram & going to Mendenhall? I just want to make sure we have time to explore up there on Mt. Roberts & not have to feel "Rushed" to get to a bus to see the glacier + we want to explore Juneau some. Any info is appreciated

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise and thought I'd comment on the Red Dog Saloon. My husband and I went in for a drink. My husband really wanted to see it, and we did enjoy seeing the saloon, but it was very loud and crowded. They are anxious to move you in and out, and the server was rude.

We will be in Juneau in early September & plan to do the tram, good to know they have a combo ticket to see Mendenhall. This will be my 2nd time in Juneau (last time was 29years ago) and my wife's first time. Is there a time limit for between the Tram & going to Mendenhall? I just want to make sure we have time to explore up there on Mt. Roberts & not have to feel "Rushed" to get to a bus to see the glacier + we want to explore Juneau some. Any info is appreciated

See this thread about the combo ticket. It doesn't sound worth it, but it's up to everyone. Add in the possibility that the mountain top may be too foggy for the views to be good and you may not even want to go up.

We poked our heads in the Red Dog on our recent cruise...fun looking place, but very crowded as 5 ships in port that day. We got T shirts for friends and family in the gift shop and took some pics. Just to say we had been there. Our ship was docked right next to the entrance to Mt Roberts....very convenient. Some of our fellow cruisers waited to puchase the combo ticket to Mendenhall til that day....weather was perfect and they loved it. Have a great trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Do Porcupines really climb trees??????

Raina :o:):o

Australia

Yea....they are very slow animals, and are usually only on the ground to get from tree to tree.

They are really cute animals. Just don't try to pet them...:D

Yea....they are very slow animals, and are usually only on the ground to get from tree to tree.

They are really cute animals. Just don't try to pet them...:D

and .................. if you're into making quill baskets (google it) chase one down and swat it with a fleece type jacket. and then be impressed with the amount of quills stuck in the jacket. do not wear it until the quills have been removed.

oh, the things i have done for the lovely mrs b-d.

Archived