Where to park rented car @ overnite port ??

pdz

We had no problems. I think we returned to the Maui pier about 7:00 -7:30 p.m. We were in the first overflow parking area. There were a few spots left there. From what has been posted, there is a third area you will be directed to if that one is full. You just pull up to the guard at the ship's pier and they will direct you.

In Kauai, we purchased our parking pass ($20) at the Kauai Car & Scooter Rental in the Anchor Cove shopping center right after we picked up our car at the airport. We returned there about 8:00 p.m. Everything went smoothly for us. I hope you have the same luck.

I was on the 5-22-10 PoA cruise. I had slightly different experiences, due to the fact that I was traveling with an 81-year-old and a 79-year-old who are both disabled. There were five of us in all and we were in a mini-van. My mother (the 81-year-old) brought her handicapped parking permit with her. I should also mention that the 79-year-old is a nun (wearing her veil), and perhaps that contributed to the wonderful treatment we got, at least on Maui.

We got back to Maui on the first day around 7:30 PM and, thanks to the permit (and the nun?), were able to park INSIDE the secure area in a handicapped spot. The van was scanned underneath for bombs and we all had to step out of the van for body scans, but this was a completely unexpected and pleasant surprise, to be able to park so close and in a safe area.

In Hilo and Kauai we were allowed into the secured area for drop-off and pick-up in designated areas (each of us needing to present our ship card and photo ID). Parking was not offered in Kauai however, and in fact I only saw one handicapped spot - perhaps they were holding off for someone with greater disabilities than my mother and aunt. This was fine with me.

I did not buy a parking permit in Kauai as I was not sure if we would be keeping the car overnight, and if we'd be offered special parking. Got back to the ship around 6 PM, I think, and Kauai Car & Scooter Rental in the Anchor Cove shopping center still had a person manning the parking lot and taking the $20 fee (and giving you a permit to put on your dashboard). I hope they keep track of how many permits they sell, because the girl told me I had in-and-out privileges and I did see others leaving when I arrived. I had no trouble getting a spot.

Archived