Ancient Carnival History???

srm54

"Waiters on the Jubilee earn $18,000 to $25,000 a year, according to the ship's food manager, Natko Nincevic. That includes tips and a base salary of about $11,000."

b. we pay 90% of the waiters, stewards salary via tips.

That would mean tips pay 39-56%, not 90%.

Yes, back then. I meant today we pay roughly 90% if you believe things like Cruise Confidential and what other people post here. That's all I have for resources, so I just assume they are correct. :)

Yes, back then. I meant today we pay roughly 90% if you believe things like Cruise Confidential and what other people post here. That's all I have for resources, so I just assume they are correct. :)

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, Tropicale was the first to sport the whale tail funnel. I don't know if it really had a purpose other than you know any Carnival ship at a glance from any angle now. When Tropicale left the fleet, subsequent owners replaced it with a standard funnel. I imagine it was by then a Carnival trademark, so it was probably required. Evidentally it didn't make a big functional difference. Like Princess Cruises' Coral and Island Princesses, with what looks like jet aircraft engines up top .. just for show.

It was my first cruise, in 1997. By that time, Tropicale had become their small ship, with the coming of the Jubilee class, Sensation, Elation and bigger. We had the last cabin aft on the Main Deck, right above the port stern anchor and thrusters. It was a port-intensive Caribbean cruise RT from San Juan, sailing only at night. While we didn't care for the anchor noise waking us up every pre-dawn, it did afford us the chance to stand up and look out the window ..our only views under sail.. as we approached the next pier.

One dining room, I think. One tiny swimming pool. I don't think it even had a hot tub. But we've never had better towel-critters on any other cruise. One favorite was a monkey wearing my sunglasses hanging from the TV. The best, though, was a giant blue and white lobster made of 2 blue beach towels, 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 wash cloths. Our steward was great!

We honeymooned on the Mardi Gras in November of 1980. The cabin was so tiny and at night we fell asleep listening to the water in the toilet splash back and forth as the ship rocked!

There is a thread called "What Ever Happened To........???" A place to discuss the glorious past of cruising...the ships, the people, the cruise lines, the ports that bring back those wonderful memories.

Here is the link........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56&order=desc

There are pages of great history on lots of ships including Carnival. I love browsing and reading about the oldies but goodies!

The percentage doesn't matter and is none of our business. The AMOUNT is $70.00 on a 7 day cruise. Subtract that from the old ad and you have an IS cabin for $705.00 plus taxes and "port charges." That is near double the going rate for a 7 day IS cabin today. Fares like $359.00 are easy to find.

"HIGH NOON on Lido Deck, somewhere in the Caribbean: As the cotton clouds play hide-and-seek with the sun, the gleaming white 48,000-ton cruise ship Jubilee, ! operated by Carnival Cruise Lines, slowly plies an ocean that is as flat as a tabletop. For the past hour passengers hailing from Everywhere, U.S.A., have been staking out lounge chairs near the enormous pool, the center of shipboard activities during the day."

LOL...I don't think ANY pool on ANY ship; whether it be the Jubilee of yeasteryear, or the

Oasis of the Seas bohemoth; could ever have their pool described as ENORMOUS...They are a little larger and definetly nicer now...but still pretty modestly sized.

Mitch

The percentage doesn't matter and is none of our business. The AMOUNT is $70.00 on a 7 day cruise. Subtract that from the old ad and you have an IS cabin for $705.00 plus taxes and "port charges." That is near double the going rate for a 7 day IS cabin today. Fares like $359.00 are easy to find.

But doesn't that old fare INCLUDE airfare? I remember that the two cruises I went on in the 80's were air inclusive; and the brochure prices at that time included air; which at that time was the norm.

Mitch

"HIGH NOON on Lido Deck, somewhere in the Caribbean: As the cotton clouds play hide-and-seek with the sun, the gleaming white 48,000-ton cruise ship Jubilee, ! operated by Carnival Cruise Lines, slowly plies an ocean that is as flat as a tabletop. For the past hour passengers hailing from Everywhere, U.S.A., have been staking out lounge chairs near the enormous pool, the center of shipboard activities during the day."

LOL...I don't think ANY pool on ANY ship; whether it be the Jubilee of yeasteryear, or the

Oasis of the Seas bohemoth; could ever have their pool described as ENORMOUS...They are a little larger and definetly nicer now...but still pretty modestly sized.

Mitch

I agree with you. I don't see how it can be described as enormous.

2718348825_4864979241_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2718348825_4864979241_b.jpg

We did the marti Gras when we got married, 7 day cruise, I could actually touch the ceiling in the dining room and Im short lol You could also take a shower and go to the bathroom at the same time, not to mention you would move from side to side while taking a shower and the best part, drinks for 95. yes thats 95 cents !! This was back in 1976 best part, wonderful memories! and still married today and still cruising

I'm with ya', ShelbyJane56. We had our honeymoon on the Mardi Gras back in 1978. Thought we were living like kings as we had a room with a double bed, a porthole, and a private bathroom! Was great. The ship seemed so big to us at the time, weighing in somewhere around 27,000 tons or so. Didn't get another chance to cruise until 21 years later when we sailed on the Fascination. Hard to believe the changes. Here's some pics..

i.ashx?gallery=313509&mid=10339666&mt=Photo&standardsize=original

Mardi Gras in the background here, ported in Nassau...

i.ashx?gallery=313509&mid=10339645&mt=Photo&standardsize=original

Nassau, again...

i.ashx?gallery=313509&mid=10339639&mt=Photo&standardsize=original

i.ashx?gallery=313509&mid=10339747&mt=Photo&standardsize=original

i.ashx?gallery=313509&mid=10339669&mt=Photo&standardsize=original

...and if you look carefully, here's the Mardi Gras at Old San Juan.

i.ashx?gallery=313509&mid=10339707&mt=Photo&standardsize=original

Love this post,keep them old picture's coming.Does anyone have any picture's of the inside of the old ship's.My DW has been on jubilee,that was her first cruise,and that was in 2001.She said that boat creeked and made a whole bunch of noise's,her ac didn't work in the room at all,she didn't really care for that cruise.But atleast it didn't ruin her from cruising,she love's to cruise now,if she could she would probably go on 3 a year.

I have been on the Big Red Boat back when i was 14.That ship also had all the noise's that go along with an old ship,that was the first cruise i have ever been on.Here are some picture's of the Big Red Boat and the Jubilee.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/images/ships/pr_e_castle.jpg

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/jubilee_1986_1.jpg

http://www.kitabjian.com/dave/Vacations/Cruise2001/04_01A.JPG

Mitch

Notice that even back then we were "Chair Hogs" :p

Wow, a great read! I'm surprised an article dated way back then is allowed to still be online.

Does anyone have any stateroom pictures or inside ship pics of those earlier vessels ?

This is a very interesting read from 1989:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1989/01/16/71516/index.htm

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, the reason I am pointing it out is mainly for the quoted sentence:

"Carnival's biggest expense, roughly 30% of the total, is air fare, because the price of a Carnival package nearly always includes a plane trip."

I also noticed:

"Waiters on the Jubilee earn $18,000 to $25,000 a year, according to the ship's food manager, Natko Nincevic. That includes tips and a base salary of about $11,000."

So the difference in prices today vs. prices of the '80s

a. we pay for flights now

b. we pay 90% of the waiters, stewards salary via tips.

Of course we're not factoring in inflation at all. I'll leave that to the expert economists of the boards.

Archived