BP started Top Kill Procedure on Wednesday

Supposedly, they already have a robot in place with a saw to cut off the end of the pipe in an attempt to place a cap over it. I've got an old kitchen sink they can throw at it, since that's about the only thing they haven't tried yet, short of getting Kirstie Alley to sit on it.

It will be a few days before the next attempt will be made. Meanwhile, the oil and gas will eventually push the mud out of the well and will be visibly escaping again.

The next attempt will not capture all of the oil, but they are hoping to catch most of it.

Data, including pressures, collected during the top kill attempt was useful in determining what the next step is.

Iv had CNN on pretty constantly lately to catch whatever news there is.

Not much new news, just that they will try something else.

CNN or CNN Headline?

CNN has had graphics of what is next. They are going to cut the riser off and stick a cap on. There won't be a tight seal, so some oil will leak. The rest they are going to try to suck up to the surface.

and so far, so good. Still too early to tell how successful it will be, but is going according to plan.

"By the end of the day, the company had pumped about 7,000 barrels of mud into the well at up to 65 barrels per minute, Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer said."

I shot some video on the Dream in April. It looks like a slick on the surface to the right in the video. Is it likely that this is a result of the spill? http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-450555 Maybe it would have been too soon. The earliest account of the spill that I could find was about April 20, 2010.

CNN or CNN Headline?

CNN has had graphics of what is next. They are going to cut the riser off and stick a cap on. There won't be a tight seal, so some oil will leak. The rest they are going to try to suck up to the surface.

yea, what you said. that's what I heard. I only like regular CNN. I remember the one guy who made a name for himself during hurricane Andrew in S. Miami. The local news featured him seemed like 24 hours a day for weeks. He kept the locals informed on the lack of progress (way worse than Katrina imo, a lot longer getting down streets where people had been cut off for weeks and weeks). .. back then computers were new, so it didnt get the national coverage like they give now. So, he feels like a familiar face from Florida news station.

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/BP-Moves-Mobile-Command-Center/Oa4dGHjJiUaa79gBUAzbcA.cspx

I don't know what this says about how long BP expects this to last, but they actually BOUGHT an office building in Mobile to move their command center into. They were previously renting space in the convention center for about 500 employees working on the spill. This move looks like they plan on this lasting a LONG time.

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/BP-Moves-Mobile-Command-Center/Oa4dGHjJiUaa79gBUAzbcA.cspx

I don't know what this says about how long BP expects this to last, but they actually BOUGHT an office building in Mobile to move their command center into. They were previously renting space in the convention center for about 500 employees working on the spill. This move looks like they plan on this lasting a LONG time.

They were talking about one drilling that will take well into August at best. Doesnt sound fast to me either.

Someone today from Alaska said fishermen are still receiving checks 20 years later from that spill.

They were talking about one drilling that will take well into August at best. Doesnt sound fast to me either.

Someone today from Alaska said fishermen are still receiving checks 20 years later from that spill.

They need to drill down to 18,000 ft - that takes a while even going 24/7 (which they do anyway). Plus they actually have to hit a very small target.

The salmon catch in Alaska has actually been better in the years since the Valdez that it was in the same number of years prior.

Go figure.

I feel the same...

I don't understand...there are brilliant people out there. NO ONE knows how to contain this???

The only way is relief wells. No one knows a better way. This is more like Apollo 13 than the Valdez incident. Not even the competitors know how to stop it and they want to - this is not the only well on that reservoir and the oil escaping is lots of income lost for all.

Obviously the longer it goes, the more $$ it is going to cost to clean up.

If they knew how to stop it, they would.

The only way is relief wells. No one knows a better way. This is more like Apollo 13 than the Valdez incident. Not even the competitors know how to stop it and they want to - this is not the only well on that reservoir and the oil escaping is lots of income lost for all.

Obviously the longer it goes, the more $$ it is going to cost to clean up.

If they knew how to stop it, they would.

They are a british company THEY DONT CARE!

You're right Sgt Schultz. It is costing them lots and lots of money. Unfortunately, this will be passed onto the consumer in the near future. The oil company's main goal is to make money for their investors and so far, with this massive leak, they have lost a ginormous amount of money. I'm sure the exact amount is being recorded each day. Get ready people to take the hit for this multi-billion dollar lost. We might have to find part-time jobs just to buy gas!

Archived