Appropriate pants/trousers for Alaska

tcv cruiser

I'm in the process of excitedly planning the packing for our cruise in two weeks! I'm a little stumped as to what to pack to wear on the low half! Jeans seem like good all purpose wear for deck viewing and excursions but I've been thinking of all the rain. Jeans get very cold in cold weather and take forever to dry if they get wet. I'm really not sure if we'd be best with light spring weight pants (khakis etc.) of if we'd be better to pack cords which are much warmer.

Any pointers??

tcv,

Layers are a key. Some may have a better angle but we found a pair of blue jeans, a pair of khakis and a pair of short in rotation work well for time in port as well as time afloat. Layering up as needed with light long john top and or bottom as well as layering rain jacket with a sweater and adding light gloves and a light hat worked well. Cords, while heavier/warmer when dry, are still cotton and can get just as wet and chilly as denim when it rains. Take heart though - In Juneau last August we ventured through a stereotypical Alaskan rain. Yes, we were soaked and a bit chilly at one point but a spin in the ships self serve laundry dryer and all our gear was ready for the next adventure. You can also look at an inexpensive pair of rain pants too. Hope this perspective helps.

I chill easily, so I take a loose nylon rain/jogging set when I go to cool, rainy climates. The set take up liitle space in the luggage. Nylon jacket is versatile. Nylon pants layer over regular pants or jeans, so I'm warm and dry. Cuts the wind, too. It looks a bit casual, but nobody's outfit look really good wet:p. I can just slip them off if/when it warms up or drys out. I've tried the long underwear, too, but it is more trouble to remove if the weather changes.

I like to have one pair of zip off cargo pants. 1/2 the weight of jeans, ddry quickly and much more useful.

Excellent suggestion ... and make sure the pants are NYLON, not cotton based. Cotton doesn't dry very quickly, and you'll be uncomfortable.

Right-o about the nylon. They wash out easily in a hotel sink and dry quickly. Also dry quickly if you get wet from rain.

quote]

Yeah but that make that horrible swishing noise when you walk...

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I hadn't thought about cords being no better than jeans but you're right! The nylon pants and something that can over over the other pants sounds like a great idea. I think I know the kind of pants you mean. I've never had a pair but my husband has some. I'll go looking for some this weekend! I can see that having to strip long underwear off it it gets warm would be a bit of a pain but I'll bring then along anyway. I'm chronically cold even when others are comfortable and I want to make sure I'm warm enough. I've heard that it gets very cold in Glacier Bay and we want to be out on deck as much as possible.

Right-o about the nylon. They wash out easily in a hotel sink and dry quickly. Also dry quickly if you get wet from rain.

quote]

Yeah but that make that horrible swishing noise when you walk...

My Ex Officio pants make no swishing noise at all. The fabric isn't like plastic.

I've bought some nice stuff at The Bay.

In fact I bought my travel watch in The Bay in Ottawa. I bought my boat coat in a sailing supply store in Canada and it is better than anything I could find in the USA.

I am always cold too - I got the hiking pants from LL Bean which are quick drying as well as the long sleeve shirts which are nylon and quick drying I think they are under tropic wear. You can just bring some lightweight long underwear if it is cold. I never wore my rain pants but I did bring a fleece jacket to wear under my rain jacket - since we travel a lot and hike I got a decent goretex jacket since they breathe. I got mine from backcountry.com as a close out deal. If you are only going this one time than you can pick up a cheap rain slicker to wear. Don't forget the winter hat and gloves and sunglasses for the glare. It gets very windy. Of course after saying all this - last year when we went (our 3rd time) it was 80 degrees and sunny every day and we had no need of any warm clothes at all. All we needed was shorts and a t shirt!!

Being in Canada, we don't have any of those stores but I'm sure I can find something here at an athletic store of some sort.

Mountain Equipment Co-op is great for outdoorsy gear, but very few locations. Great web site though.

Mountain Equipment Co-op is great for outdoorsy gear, but very few locations. Great web site though.

It is a great store and yes, they'll have that sort of thing. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! I checked the Bay yesterday but all the summer stuff is out so it was hard to find anything. Thanks for the reminder. We now have MEC here in Victoria.

I am always cold too - I got the hiking pants from LL Bean which are quick drying as well as the long sleeve shirts which are nylon and quick drying I think they are under tropic wear. You can just bring some lightweight long underwear if it is cold. I never wore my rain pants but I did bring a fleece jacket to wear under my rain jacket - since we travel a lot and hike I got a decent goretex jacket since they breathe. I got mine from backcountry.com as a close out deal. If you are only going this one time than you can pick up a cheap rain slicker to wear. Don't forget the winter hat and gloves and sunglasses for the glare. It gets very windy. Of course after saying all this - last year when we went (our 3rd time) it was 80 degrees and sunny every day and we had no need of any warm clothes at all. All we needed was shorts and a t shirt!!

A while ago my DH got me a great Helly Hansen waterproof, windproof, breathable rain jacket at Capital Iron. It is fabulous when we go hiking in the rain, which is often here on the "wet" coast.

If you're a girl- Athleta's 'Dipper' pants and Prana cargos. Best ever- water resistant, quick drying, don't wrinkle too much. I wear them hiking and climbing but they're nice enough looking to wear to work too. You can order them online.

If you're a girl- Athleta's 'Dipper' pants and Prana cargos. Best ever- water resistant, quick drying, don't wrinkle too much. I wear them hiking and climbing but they're nice enough looking to wear to work too. You can order them online.

I read your post and thought "wow, those sound great." From the online pics, both those styles look pretty casual. No way I could wear them to work:(. Darn.

I read your post and thought "wow, those sound great." From the online pics, both those styles look pretty casual. No way I could wear them to work:(. Darn.

Yeah, guess it depends on your office- ours is pretty casual, anything except jeans is okay (and the guys tend to ignore even that rule).

Archived