Coconut Monkey Head question???

lilybug23

I know this is a silly question because the name is kind of self explanatory but is the coconut monkey head actually a coconut or is it made from the coconut tree. I ask this because I am deathly allergic to coconuts, if I touch them I will break out in hives. I really want a coconut monkey head but I dare not touch one if its actually a coconut. I figured it was but one of our friends that has cruised before and has one said that it is made from the tree and only the little cap ontop was the actual coconut. Is any of this making sense?? Lol! So does anyone actually know if its a coconut or not?? Any input is helpful. Thanks in advance! :)

I know this is a silly question because the name is kind of self explanatory but is the coconut monkey head actually a coconut or is it made from the coconut tree. I ask this because I am deathly allergic to coconuts, if I touch them I will break out in hives. I really want a coconut monkey head but I dare not touch one if its actually a coconut. I figured it was but one of our friends that has cruised before and has one said that it is made from the tree and only the little cap ontop was the actual coconut. Is any of this making sense?? Lol! So does anyone actually know if its a coconut or not?? Any input is helpful. Thanks in advance! :)

Coconut shell, I guess is what it is called.

Google it and see it;)

On our last cruise, going thru customs the custom peeps had a stack of them that they were taking from passengers..I had started to buy one for my youngest but decided not to. Glad I didnt as we were told you can't bring them in the U S.

Starting to pack for upcoming cruise and saw our monkey head on our bar. There is no coconut on the head but it is made from a coconut tree.

On our last cruise, going thru customs the custom peeps had a stack of them that they were taking from passengers..I had started to buy one for my youngest but decided not to. Glad I didnt as we were told you can't bring them in the U S.

we put ours in a suitcase all wrapped up in clothes and didnt have a problem getting him on the plane to go to his new home lolspelling

They should have left the ``made in China'' stickers on the bottom.:D

Dianne

They should have left the ``made in China'' stickers on the bottom.:D

Dianne

Good one!

We were on Stone Island on the road from the dock to Randi's horse supply and passed by two guys making what I thought were monkey head coconuts.

Wonder why they would take something that they sell on the ship? I can see mine from here, and it was in a tote bag right on top when I walked off the ship. Could they have been ones that were bought elsewhere? I've seen them sold with drinks on several beaches.

I think they are made from a coconut, not the tree, judging by the way the bottom curves in. Not just the part you buy in a store in the US, but the entire coconut, before the outer shell/husk was removed.

Mine is made from the actual coconut. A coconut has a smooth outer shell. the fuzzy or "hairy part is the result of taking that outer part off.

I made the mistake of ordering one a couple years ago. Didn't pay attention when I signed for it. That night I was checking my receipts and saw that it was over $17 with tip YIKES.......And it was only about 7 ounces.

So don't bother. And the thing takes up a huge amount of room in your luggage. mine is out in my sun room.

Archived