Tipping while flightseeing

ksc1984

I'm taking a ski plane while in Alaska. The pilot owns the plane and the company. This would be like going on a whale watch when the skipper also owns the boat and the company. How do you feel about tipping someone in this instance? For myself, I'm hesitant to tip like I would a guide who is someone else's employee. I'd like opinions on this.

If it were me, I'd tip him. I don't think it matters whether or nor they own the company or work for the owner. They are providing you a service in an industry where tipping is expected for a job well done.

Ever been to a small resturant where the owner, on a very busy night, takes your order and serves you your meal? Wouldn't you still leave a tip? It's the same thing you're asking. They may decline to accept it but that should be their choice.

Have a great time. We're going on a flightseeing/glacier landing excursion in July. Really looking forward to it.

We're taking a bear watching and flightseeing tour for two that is going to cost us almost $1,000. I feel no obligation to tip in this circumstance. Maybe if I was buying a burger and fries for $10.95, OK. But this is more like buying a new custom home theatre system from a one-man operation and getting him to design and install it. That guy is also providing personalized service, but I'll guarantee you he never gets tipped. Nor does the landscape guy who sits down with you and designs your backyard oasis and then makes it all happen magically. They all provide a service. My rule is that if someone is working for a meagre wage and is depending on tips for their livelihood, then I tip them. Like the ship's staff.

If it's clear that someone is an employee working for a wage (like a guide), then they get tipped too. But not the owner/operator. They set the price in order to make a reasonable profit and to keep their business running. They should not be counting on or expecting tips.

My Father is a Bushpilot and is the Owner/Operator. He will gladly accept tips but does not ask for them or talk about them at all. He is way to classy to ask for tips and never has in all these years. I know though that the tips are appreated very much.

Also yes Guides/owner/operaters do get tipped in Alaska. Think about it. If this pilot takes you up in the air and you have a wonderful safe trip and have no problems and are litterly alive when you touch back down. That is cause to be happy.

Alaskan Bush Pilots are not like Gardners or landscapers. They litterly are responsible for every single person's life in the plane period end of statement.

My family owns a greenhouse and no we dont get tipped usually. But we are not responsible for litterly someone elses life. When you board that small plane. You are looking at thousands and thousands of dollars of investment.

If its a plane on floats, they have to buy the floats, if its a plane on wheels they have had to buy the wheels, if its a plane on ski's they have had to buy the ski's.

The least they deserve even if they dont say it is even a 10.00 bill for litterly keeping you safe and alive. Thats the reality of Bush flying in Alaska it is like no where else.

Thats my honest opionion as an Alaskan and a Bush Pilots daughter,

Adri :)

I'm supposed to give someone extra money because he brought me back alive? Isn't that his job? Should I tip the Air Canada pilot and crew that got me home safely as well? What about the cruise ship captain? "He're you go Cap'n - thanks for not drowning me!". He's responsible for about 500 times the number of people on a bush plane, so that should work out to about $5,000 in tips. What about the limo driver that took me to the port? Let's not forget the city bus driver that got me to work safely this morning.

And really, they are small business owners that have to invest thousands of dollars in their business? :eek: Gee, I hadn't thought of that. All small business owners have to do that, whether you run a trucking business, a snow clearing operation or an auto body shop. And guess what, none of them get tips. They determine a reasonable price for their service and that's what they charge.

If "the least they deserve" is a $10 bill for keeping me safe and alive, then where is my other $990 bucks going? The reason I'm willing to pay $250 bucks an hour is so that they can invest in the maintenance of their equipment and their training so that I do get back alive. If that's going to cost me another 10 bucks, then just add it to the price that is being charged.

If I have a wonderful experience on my excursion, I will tell everyone I know about the fantastic pilot and his wonderful company. And I will make sure that he knows that I'm going to do that. And I'll post all about it on Cruise Critic. And because of that, many more people will choose his company for their excursions. Or, maybe instead of that I'll just quietly slip the pilot a tenner. Which do you think he will choose if given the choice?

Two members of my wife's family both fly bush planes up into Northern Manitoba, so I know what's involved. They certainly would never expect a tip for just doing their job.

One more thing.....they better use some of that $1,000 to pay the insurance liability premiums. 'Cause if I don't get back in one piece, I have a feeling someone's going to need it. :D

As I said My father never asks for tips but if given he does appreate it. Also a $1000.00 is very reasonable considering the costs and everything else. I dont see anything wrong with tipping someone who is taking you out on somthing that is very potentially dangerous. I dont understand the value of not tipping even if its a small amount. Its a great way to say thank you. I even said a 10.00 tip just to show I did not mean a standard tip. Its a nice feeling when the plane lands and everyone is safe.

I also know exactly whats involved by first hand knowledge as its a part of my life and always has been and always will be. I think keeping people safe while flying them in Alaska is worth it. I know my life is valuable and I appreate it when others do to.

Adri

It is a way of saying thank you. Maybe those who don't want to tip need to not take any excursions. Sorry to offend anyone but I really think you are totally off-base on this.

Bottom line is - if you don't want to tip - Don't. Me, personally, if the customer service is good, title doesn't matter - I'll tip.

As Adri said - this is not a landscaper, etc. These people work in an industry where tipping is the norm. Do like we did in our planning - allow for a certain amount of misc. tips in your overall travel budget.

Happy sailings to all.

It is a way of saying thank you. Maybe those who don't want to tip need to not take any excursions. Sorry to offend anyone but I really think you are totally off-base on this.

Bottom line is - if you don't want to tip - Don't. Me, personally, if the customer service is good, title doesn't matter - I'll tip.

As Adri said - this is not a landscaper, etc. These people work in an industry where tipping is the norm. Do like we did in our planning - allow for a certain amount of misc. tips in your overall travel budget.

Happy sailings to all.

Thanks and looking back. I can see where I got a bit quick tempered. But this is not landscaping etc. This is a very rewarding but risky operation and one should appreate that.

I'm supposed to give someone extra money because he brought me back alive? Isn't that his job? Should I tip the Air Canada pilot and crew that got me home safely as well? What about the cruise ship captain? "He're you go Cap'n - thanks for not drowning me!". He's responsible for about 500 times the number of people on a bush plane, so that should work out to about $5,000 in tips. What about the limo driver that took me to the port? Let's not forget the city bus driver that got me to work safely this morning.

And really, they are small business owners that have to invest thousands of dollars in their business? :eek: Gee, I hadn't thought of that. All small business owners have to do that, whether you run a trucking business, a snow clearing operation or an auto body shop. And guess what, none of them get tips. They determine a reasonable price for their service and that's what they charge.

If "the least they deserve" is a $10 bill for keeping me safe and alive, then where is my other $990 bucks going? The reason I'm willing to pay $250 bucks an hour is so that they can invest in the maintenance of their equipment and their training so that I do get back alive. If that's going to cost me another 10 bucks, then just add it to the price that is being charged.

If I have a wonderful experience on my excursion, I will tell everyone I know about the fantastic pilot and his wonderful company. And I will make sure that he knows that I'm going to do that. And I'll post all about it on Cruise Critic. And because of that, many more people will choose his company for their excursions. Or, maybe instead of that I'll just quietly slip the pilot a tenner. Which do you think he will choose if given the choice?

Two members of my wife's family both fly bush planes up into Northern Manitoba, so I know what's involved. They certainly would never expect a tip for just doing their job.

One more thing.....they better use some of that $1,000 to pay the insurance liability premiums. 'Cause if I don't get back in one piece, I have a feeling someone's going to need it. :D

Luv it. My son is an airline pilot. He does not accept tips nor would he be allowed to. Perhaps his passengers should tip his father and I since we forked out over $100,000 for his professional aviation university degree and flight training. And now that I think of it, I wonder if I should have tipped my surgeon who did my ankle surgery a few weeks ago? :eek:

Luv it. My son is an airline pilot. He does not accept tips nor would he be allowed to. Perhaps his passengers should tip his father and I since we forked out over $100,000 for his professional aviation university degree and flight training. And now that I think of it, I wonder if I should have tipped my surgeon who did my ankle surgery a few weeks ago? :eek:

I respect Airline pilots. But thier is a big difference between a small plane say a Cessna 185 and a rather larger plane. The larger plane is not landing in rivers, lakes and other places as a small bush plane would. Thier is also a big difference between an Alaskan Bush Pilot and a commercial pilot. I have friends who both fly commerical and fly small planes in Ak. They know the difference and appreate the big differences.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask my question here. I have booked whale watching, kayaking etc excursions. I was wndering if we were supposed to tip the people taking us on these tours? We are just so used to tipping for everything, in the USA.

Thanks for your input.

Archived