How do I arrange to use the Marriott Beach resort for the day?

smyemar

I have read that people have paid to use the fascilities at the Marriott in Grand Cayman. How would I go about doing this? Do you just show up and pay at guest registration? How much does it cost? TIA:o

We stopped in last Sept and they said no and sent us next door--asyou face the Marriot to the left-- it was very nice very European I called the Mariott 800 number for gc yesterday and they told me no for June 30??

Anyone else have any info

this is confusing, several recent posts have advised that Marriott has $10 Day Passes and other recent posts say there are NO Marriott facilities open to cruisers. If you've been lately, can you HELP?:confused:. we are going on Solstice June 6 and would love to know, thanks.

Hey All! When you return can you give me some feedback on the Marriott? How do you arrange it? Call first? Just show up? Was it worth it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I went to the Mariott in Feb. I called ahead of time and they said they could not tell me if I could use their facilities or not, it was high season.

What they said to do, which I did, was call as soon as we dropped anchor, I had an international phone with me so I called the number, (cell phones have to have a direct main number not a 800 number to get though) and they checked to see if the Hotel was full or not, they said yes come right over when you tender.

They charged us I think 10 or 15 PP, and gave us a pink slip to show if we were asked.

I paid for a float, another 10 for the while day.

Got to use the pool and the beach. They had a nice restroom near the beach.

Oh one thing, we ate lunch at the beach at the out door resturtant but when the bill came we paid in cash, they did not know that we were not Hotel guests, so we left the money with a tip and went back to the beach.

Well they came and found us and said we owed more money. I guess our money here in the states is not the same anymore, so we owed them a little bit more, I felt like an idiot, but I did not know.

Even if you get a soda by the pool area, tell them US CASH and they add to the amount so you do not look stupid like I did, lol

Food was good.

So I all think it depends if it is high season or not for them to have anyone use their facilities.

And it was great snorkeling my Hubby said. They had a man made area where you swim with all fish in it.

Good luck, Hoped this helped.

Sue

Well they came and found us and said we owed more money. I guess our money here in the states is not the same anymore, so we owed them a little bit more, I felt like an idiot, but I did not know.

It's not that your money in the States isn't the same any more, it's that you were in a different country which uses their own currency. :D It happens a lot, since the Cayman Islands also uses the term "dollars" for their money, it's just that a CI dollar has a different value than the US dollar. Think of it in the same terms as Canada...same word for money, but a different value.

The easiest solution is to do as you suggested, and ask your server or the store clerk to convert your bill into a US total. All stores or restaurants will do that for you, and then you can just pay in the currency you're familiar with...

• 2 months later...

We used the beach at the Marriott about a year ago. We did not use their chairs or pool. We just walked through the lobby and spread our towels out on the beach just past the hotel and didn't pay anything. No one said anything to us. We did eat at the outside cafe. The food was pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

How did you get from the tender to the hotel? When we were in GC two years ago, it was a zoo at the dock with vans lined up and no taxis in sight. The vans all waited until they were completely full and then had a very few places to stop. It was cheap enough--$10 pp I think--but I would have paid more to have a taxi take us where we wanted to go.

I called the Marriott & they said it was fine to come to the hotel, have lunch, use the beach . . . so that's what we want to do. We're not interested in paying $149 for the privilege, and we don't want the use of a room. I'm going to call them again before we leave since we'll be there the day after Christmas! Last time I had really bad luck trying to spend the day at a hotel on SMB.

Does anyone have any further advice?

Thanks so much.

GG

How did you get from the tender to the hotel? When we were in GC two years ago, it was a zoo at the dock with vans lined up and no taxis in sight. The vans all waited until they were completely full and then had a very few places to stop...GG

Actually the vans lined up at the dock are taxis. They are run on a shared ride basis with fares based on a per person rate.

The public buses, most of which are large passenger vans like the taxis, depart from a depot in George Town and can easily accomodate stopping anywhere along Seven Mile Beach. Their fares are much less than taxi fare.

In case anyone else is interested in a resort hotel on Seven Mile Beach while the ship is in port, I just got off the 'phone from talking with Anthony at the Marriott. I went online and called the direct number for the hotel. I explained to him what we wanted to do and told him the date, right after Christmas. He assured me that we could come in, have a drink, eat lunch . . . :)

And if we wanted to use the lounge chairs at the pool or on the beach, there was a $12.95 pp charge.

So that is exactly what we're going to do.

Certainly hope it works out for us!!

And, of course, for anyone else who wants to do this. :cool:

GG

We used one of the vans that were waiting at the pier. We didn't have to wait long and they dropped us right at the Marriott. We walked back to the pier. It's not a bad walk. (We're both 60ish in relatively good shape - not athletes.)

I called the Marriott & they said it was fine to come to the hotel, have lunch, use the beach . . . so that's what we want to do. We're not interested in paying $149 for the privilege, and we don't want the use of a room. I'm going to call them again before we leave since we'll be there the day after Christmas! Last time I had really bad luck trying to spend the day at a hotel on SMB.

Does anyone have any further advice?

Thanks so much.

GG

Good idea to call the hotel directly. We may do that. DH is a platinum Marriott member. Don't know if there is any "special" for the members but it is worth asking. Thanks for your information.

Archived