A little help with a ship design, please?

ShipsInBergen

You asked Mercruise, but I for one would prefer a sitting area in the outside cabin to a balcony.

I've had balconies on trans-Atlantics, and with the wind did not use it much. A bigger cabin sans balcony would fit my wants.

Although many cruisers think a balcony is a necessity, I don't.

I agree with you that an indoor seating area would be preferable on this crossing. I have just added a modified layout for the balcony cabins (with balcony replace by seating area) to the blog if you want to take a look at it. It may be best to still include some balcony cabins as like you say for some they are a necessity.

I'd be really interested to see what people think, ie. would many people who usually book balconies actually prefer this layout?

Yes, I think the revised outside cabin, no balcony, with sitting area would be a winner.

Shower looks circular - with door? There have been many objections voiced to "clingy" shower curtains.

Yes, I think the revised outside cabin, no balcony, with sitting area would be a winner.

Shower looks circular - with door? There have been many objections voiced to "clingy" shower curtains.

Glad you like it! Yes the showers all have sliding glass doors which can be closed to complete the circle. When open, the space taken up by the shower can then be used as 'elbow room' for users of the toilet or the basin.

And Mercruiser, that's a very interesting point about the balconies at speed. I hadn't even considered it. Maybe it would be worth having sliding windows to allow it to be opened into a balcony or closed into a mini-solarium? Or maybe people will simply expect a standard balcony and want to feel the wind in their hair! Another possibility would be to simply make the room larger and have a sitting area with full length windows. What would you feel about that?

Plenty to think about on the cabin designs alone. Thanks for all the input!

I'd keep the sitting area, as shown in the new blog diagram. But add a sliding window with railing in a French balcony configuration that does not protrude from the side of the ship. This preserves the sitting area inside, but allows people to hear and smell the sea air if they want. Since this is a "green" project, you'll want a switch on the sliding door that shuts off the HVAC when the door is open. I've seen this in some hotel rooms.

I like the design quite a bit, from what is available. As for cabins, have you considered a more traditional layout coupled with either promenades or just wall-to-wall glass paneling, similar to the Eoseas concept (That would also be a way to incorporate photovoltaic cells.)?

If I may ask a question OT, where are you studying? I'm aiming to go to college for a Bachelors in NA/ME and Strathclyde is, thus far, the only school I have seriously considered overseas.

I like the design quite a bit, from what is available. As for cabins, have you considered a more traditional layout coupled with either promenades or just wall-to-wall glass paneling, similar to the Eoseas concept (That would also be a way to incorporate photovoltaic cells.)?

If I may ask a question OT, where are you studying? I'm aiming to go to college for a Bachelors in NA/ME and Strathclyde is, thus far, the only school I have seriously considered overseas.

It's great that you want to study naval architecture! I'm just coming to the end of my BEng at the University of Southampton. It's a very well respected uni for the course (and infact engineering overall). I also applied for Strathclyde, UCL (University College London) and Newcastle and got offers from all.

The open day at Strathclyde didn't impress me too much, although it is a good engineering uni and Glasgow is a fantastic city. Whilst Southampton hasn't got quite the same atmosphere it's a nice enough city to live in as a student and of course has the cruise ships, which are a big draw for me! I chose Southampton primarily because it is recognised by many as the best place to study naval architecture in the UK, and the academic and research staff are very strong. From what I hear Newcastle is also very good for this course.

There certainly are a lot of options to think about if you're considering studying overseas!

It's interesting you metion the bathroom being smaller. I've struggled to cut any space out of the bathroom layout I curently have.

Glad you like it! Yes the showers all have sliding glass doors which can be closed to complete the circle. When open, the space taken up by the shower can then be used as 'elbow room' for users of the toilet or the basin.

Basically, on the train we were on [and incidentally the very, very cheap hotel I use in London] they achieve a tiny bathroom by having a wet room. there is space for the loo and basin only with a shower head in the ceiling.

What about competition with the QM2???

Which is why I think that the design needs to be compared with long-distance trains. As I understood it, the concept is for an alternative transport to flying across the "pond" rather than an alternative cruise ship. As a cheap cruise ship, you risk the concept becoming a booze cruise and, having travelled on some very unpleasant cross-channel and Irish ferries, this would deter me from using it.

Sue

Archived