Does it take an hour for tenders to get to shore?

NancyIL

I was hoping to take Nativeway's 4-hour Stingray and Island Tour. Sharon e-mailed me to say:

Sorry, you will not be able to take our tour. It departs the pier at 9 AM

Central Time (10 AM ship time) and your ship typically, you will have a hard

time coming ashore at that time.

We will be on RCI's Splendour of the Seas. So, if we dock at 9:00 a.m. (ship's time), will it really take an hour or more to tender to shore?

It takes more than 5 minutes.

There is:

1) Time waiting on your ship for a tender (depends on how many others want to go at the same time)

2) Time loading the tender (depends on size of tender and how many people fit)

3) The actual tender time (usually just a few minutes - could be 5)

4) Time waiting for dock space - If only the south dock is open tenders can line up waiting to unload

5) Time unloading the tender.

I would say 20 minutes at best and 45-60 minutes more typical or perhaps more, if you are trying to tender at rush hours (1st and last tender hours). If you are the very first (or nearly), you can mimimize 1), but there are still the other factors.

Also your ship may not arrive on time - it could be early or late.

When is the cruise? It sounds like it might be after Daylight Savings Time is in effect, which Grand Cayman doesn't observe. This is another issue.

It takes more than 5 minutes.

There is:

1) Time waiting on your ship for a tender (depends on how many others want to go at the same time)

2) Time loading the tender (depends on size of tender and how many people fit)

3) The actual tender time (usually just a few minutes - could be 5)

4) Time waiting for dock space - If only the south dock is open tenders can line up waiting to unload

5) Time unloading the tender.

I would say 20 minutes at best and 45-60 minutes more typical or perhaps more, if you are trying to tender at rush hours (1st and last tender hours). If you are the very first (or nearly), you can mimimize 1), but there are still the other factors.

Also your ship may not arrive on time - it could be early or late.

When is the cruise? It sounds like it might be after Daylight Savings Time is in effect, which Grand Cayman doesn't observe. This is another issue.

My cruise is in mid-April, so yes, daylight savings time will be in effect.....at least on the ship. I suppose the people at Nativeway have a lot of experience with people who didn't show up on time for a tour, but they are the only company I've seen so far that has the Stingray Sandbar tour plus an island tour - without more snorkeling at another location.

Archived