Changed CC Category - Saved $1100

City_Woman

I check the prices on Celebrity almost daily for upcoming trips. Well imagine my surprise when I checked yesterday.

When we were on board the Equinox in April we did a future cruise booking and got a C2 category for the C3 price. We decided to do an angled cabin.

Yesterday, when I checked the prices, the C3 had dropped $550 per person from when we had booked. Now, I know I can't get the price drop so I got a wonderful Celebrity rep who happily kept my booking number, my onboard credit, and moved me to a C3 and saved us a total of $1100 from our original booking.

I have never been in an angled cabin and our new cabin is in the same area as where we were in April. I can't miss the angled cabin because I've never experienced it, but ignoring $1100 in savings was something I just could not go. That money will go a long way toward the rest of the vacation.

Yippee!

Judy

Maybe I'm missing something, but we booked a 2A and paid the price of a 2C. When the 2C price dropped by $300, we had the option of keeping the 2A and taking the lower price or going to a C1 for the same price. We did the latter. We did not contact Celebrity, but worked with our TA (transferred the booking to get OBC from the TA). She confirmed we could have received the lower price. Was she wrong?

I booked onboard Solstice 2 weeks ago for a FEB 2011 Equinox and got a C1 upgrade for booking a C3 price (it was more expensive than the C3 "sale" price I had previously obtained during a special in April, but the AFT cabins are my weakness so I rebooked at the higher price to get the C1 - plus the diference in price was no where near the savings others are mentioning - congrats!).

Anyway, I called Celebrity and they would honor the OBC and the C3 price but I would lose the upgrade to C1 (as no sale has occurred in that category and rarely, if ever, does). They told me the price of my upgrade (C1) had to drop, not the category I paid for (C3) = the C3 price drop did nothing for me if I wanted to keep the C1; sounds like others have had different experience???

An upgrade to C1 for the 2C price, sounds like a heck of a deal!

I booked onboard Solstice 2 weeks ago for a FEB 2011 Equinox and got a C1 upgrade for booking a C3 price (it was more expensive than the C3 "sale" price I had previously obtained during a special in April, but the AFT cabins are my weakness so I rebooked at the higher price to get the C1 - plus the diference in price was no where near the savings others are mentioning - congrats!).

Anyway, I called Celebrity and they would honor the OBC and the C3 price but I would lose the upgrade to C1 (as no sale has occurred in that category and rarely, if ever, does). They told me the price of my upgrade (C1) had to drop, not the category I paid for (C3) = the C3 price drop did nothing for me if I wanted to keep the C1; sounds like others have had different experience???

An upgrade to C1 for the 2C price, sounds like a heck of a deal!

Yep, I did a little dance:cool:. Also kept the OBC and reduced deposit.

I'm a little confused abolut your situation, though. From what I gather, you had already booked a C3 for a sale price, but while you were onboard Solstice you had the opportunity to book a C1 for the price a C3 was going for (which was higher than your first booking), and got OBC to boot. At this point, you had a C1 cabin and OBC, and an original booking for a C3. Did you then call Celebrity to see if you could get the sale price applied to your new booking and was told you could keep the OBC but would have to give up the C1 and go into a C3? Did they say the price of the C1 would have to drop to the sale price of the C3 for you to keep both the C1 and the OBC? If so, this is a little different from our situation, where we were taking advantage of a price drop after booking on board, not before.

I should mention that by changing our booking from the 2A to the C1, we technically lost out on the free upgrade from 2C to 2A-- it's not like we were able to get a C1 for the price of a C3, we were just paying the going rate of a C1, at that point. But my understanding was we could have kept the 2A and received the price drop. OP is saying she wouldn't have been able to get her drop and stay in her C2 cabin, which runs contrary to my (hypothetical) experience. I would have thought, based on my experience, they would have honored the lower price and let her keep the C2.

Yep, I did a little dance:cool:. Also kept the OBC and reduced deposit.

I'm a little confused abolut your situation, though. From what I gather, you had already booked a C3 for a sale price, but while you were onboard Solstice you had the opportunity to book a C1 for the price a C3 was going for (which was higher than your first booking), and got OBC to boot. At this point, you had a C1 cabin and OBC, and an original booking for a C3. Did you then call Celebrity to see if you could get the sale price applied to your new booking and was told you could keep the OBC but would have to give up the C1 and go into a C3? Did they say the price of the C1 would have to drop to the sale price of the C3 for you to keep both the C1 and the OBC? If so, this is a little different from our situation, where we were taking advantage of a price drop after booking on board, not before.

I should mention that by changing our booking from the 2A to the C1, we technically lost out on the free upgrade from 2C to 2A-- it's not like we were able to get a C1 for the price of a C3, we were just paying the going rate of a C1, at that point. But my understanding was we could have kept the 2A and received the price drop. OP is saying she wouldn't have been able to get her drop and stay in her C2 cabin, which runs contrary to my (hypothetical) experience. I would have thought, based on my experience, they would have honored the lower price and let her keep the C2.

You rebooked which is what I did.

The price drop has to be in the same category that you have booked, not the category that you paid.

Judy

You rebooked which is what I did.

The price drop has to be in the same category that you have booked, not the category that you paid.

Judy

We have the same booking number, reduced deposit and OBC as when we first booked. The Celebrity future cruises agent told me to watch the 2C cat for price drops, since that was what the fare was based on, and the TA did not contradict that, though the conversation went, "I see there's a price drop for 2C by $150 pp, but we've decided to go from the 2A to a C1 for the same amount as we were paying." I didn't give her much of a chance to discuss options, but neither did she say, "Well, you wouldn't be able to get a price drop for what a 2C is going for, anyway, but you could keep your 2A for what a 2A is going for now, if you wanted." I gather from what you said that that's what she could have said, but didn't.

Archived