Just back from May 22nd cruise NCL Star to Alaska

kdzkatz

Just a quick post to let everyone know we have returned from the May 22nd cruise aboard the Star up to Alaska. The weather was great! We were in short sleeves in Skagway and it was HOT! We were looking for shade to stand in to keep cool. This was the first week the Star made it up Tracy Arm. We were on the Tracy Arm katamaran excursion and saw a new born baby seal with their mom on an iceberg.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

It was a very relaxing cruise. I will be posting some pics to webshots soon. I took some pics of the spa as I could not find any prior to our cruise. We very much enjoyed the spa and have no regrets getting the spa pass (we bought the very first one). :D

YES YES YES! I was so hoping we would and we did! It was sooooo nice. It was barely like a sea day as there was a great view most of the day and not just water as far as the eye could see. I felt very fortunate to be able to cruise up the east side of vancouver island.

I have just uploaded pics of the Barong Spa on webshots. The photo album is titled Barong Spa NCL Star 2010 I will be posting a thread as well to let people know as there are no good pics online of the spa on the Star.

Thank you for posting! We go in just 2 weeks and we were wondering if the ship made it up Tracy Arm. Did the ship make it to the glacier? I was waiting to see and book the excursion you went on and now I can! Did you love it?! Was it worth the money or could the ship see almost as good? Thanks and so glad you had a good time. Can't wait to hear more....

This was the first week they were able to go up Tracy Arm. We didn't make it all the way to the glacier but we could see it. The ship actually got almost as far as we did. We couldn't believe it with as much ice as there still was. We thought for sure we were going to meet up with them in Endicott Arm. Even though they got almost as far as we did, I still highly recommend this excursion! It is a much different perspective. You are much closer to the water and can see things that those on the ship cannot. Like the new born baby seal and mom on an iceberg :D. It was soooo cool. The naturalist who has lived there since she was 1 year old said she has never seen a baby that new! I also got a great humpback fluke photo. Bring several layers for this excursion as we started off in short sleeves and ended up with 2 more layers as it cools down quite a bit being so close to the ice.

We would not do this cruise again without doing this excursion. It is not a cheap excursion but we felt it was well worth it. :D

I have just uploaded pics of the Barong Spa on webshots. The photo album is titled Barong Spa NCL Star 2010 I will be posting a thread as well to let people know as there are no good pics online of the spa on the Star.

Glad you had a great time. Thanks so much for taking spa pics. Do you happen to know some spa prices? I'll be on the SUN, but I would guess the spa prices would be same or similar.

I couldn't find your Barong Spa NCL Star 2010 photo album on webshots. Can you post a link, please? Thanks.

Just a quick post to let everyone know we have returned from the May 22nd cruise aboard the Star up to Alaska. The weather was great! We were in short sleeves in Skagway and it was HOT! We were looking for shade to stand in to keep cool. This was the first week the Star made it up Tracy Arm. We were on the Tracy Arm katamaran excursion and saw a new born baby seal with their mom on an iceberg.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

It was a very relaxing cruise. I will be posting some pics to webshots soon. I took some pics of the spa as I could not find any prior to our cruise. We very much enjoyed the spa and have no regrets getting the spa pass (we bought the very first one). :D

Hey guys.. It was nice meeting you on the Star. Glad you made it back safe and sound. Are you going to post any of your pics of the whale? 8-)

I'm working on the pics as we speak. I took about 2000 pics :D. Once I get some pics on webshots I will post the link. I put some pics on webshots of the Barong Spa already which I think help in deciding on getting a pass or not. We got the spa pass and loved it!

Thanks for the information and the links to the pics. Glad you had a great cruise, and I know I would have been very excited to see the newborn pup! Heck, I'm excited to see the OLD seals and other wildlife!

Have you sailed on the Star before? I'm asking because I'm curious to get opinions from those that sailed the Star before the renovations, and now since the renovations have changed some of the lounges, Blue Lagoon locations, etc. Would love to hear opinions, good OR bad.

Sometimes it's hard to accept change! :rolleyes:

We liked the move that the Blue Lagoon made! It has a nice view and is much more open. I thought that most of the food was better than a couple years ago. Since we didn't frequent the Spinnaker the last time we were on the Star and wouldn't have this time it made no difference to us on that move. We love the serenity of your own balcony! We liked the move of La Cucina to the old location for Soho. The move of the Galleria wasn't a big deal. The Blue Lagoon and Galleria are pretty much identical to the Pearl now. I wish the Market Cafe would get an overhaul to be like the Pearl :D.

Also, for the other post, we left out of Seattle. For the third year in a row it has been totally painless. I have heard many many many horror stories about embarkation in Vancouver. Plus we live only 20 miles north of Seattle:D

Archived