Best time to cruise Cape Horn

libno

Looking to go Chile to Argentina in November. How rough are the seas at this time? Is it a good time to travel?

Any help with my dilema much appreciated> (Hate rough seas)

Thanks

There is really no way to tell, because the weather flutuates so much. We went around Cape Horn on Dec 30 (one week after the first day of summer), it was smooth as glass. We were able to get within 1/4 mile of the Cape (which is actually an island)

When we left Rio on Dec 22, the Captain said we may not make Cape Horn because of 40-foot waves at the time, and, on January 2, they were back up over 30 feet. We just had to good luck to fall into a calm period between 2 storms

Everything I've read tells me that the weather is very random through the spring and summer, and there are no guarantees! I've booked HAL's Veendam for November, from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, and I am very much looking forward to this cruise.

I've been up the coast of Norway in gloomy weather once, and I've been to the Panhandle of Alaska by cruise ship twice. One Alaska visit had pretty nice weather and the other one was rainy and stormy, with the seas being quite high in the Outer Passage.

I am so excited to see Cape Horn and the rest of the southern tip of South America, that no weather worries can keep me away.

Thanks to all who responded to my query. I am just a big chicken when it comes to rough seas - it literally makes me sick to my stomach with fear!!! Which is why I have been putting off this trip. My husband is very keen to do this cruise, but as we are already planning a visit to South Africa in Jan/Feb, I think we will leave this cruise for 2012 Jan/Feb, and instead do the transatlantic from Lisbon to Brazil, this Fall.

I do appreciate your responses. thanks;)

do the transatlantic from Lisbon to Brazil, this Fall. I do appreciate your responses. thanks;)

If you can do transatlantic, you can do South America! I doubt if the seas will be any more rough!

Archived