What to wear for the Bio Bay excursion...

We did it a few years ago ('05). Wear something relatively light weight as you will be paddling, although leisurely. I wouldn't take anything that shouldn't get wet, or protect it in a waterproof container. Also don't have loose stuff that would sink if it falls out of the kayak. You can swim too once you get to the bay, so swim suit if you want to swim. Getting back into the kayak can be a bit of a challenge, but your guides will help if you need it.

It's a really neat excursion.

Has anyone done the bio bay excursion in San Juan that can share their experience?? What to wear and expect?

Thanks!

The excursion is beautiful. Expect to be impressed. What to wear? Mosquito repellent. And lots of it. Kamikaze huge monster mosquitoes left me bitten and bruised for the rest of the vacation. And I was wearing a t-shirt. If you attract mosquitoes, expect to attract a LOT of them on this trip.

You will enjoy the trip a lot if you protect yourself before you go.

Also, I found the trip to be very strenuous. My legs straight out in front of me, no back to the seat, and yet I had to row. It was an unusual and awkward position. I had to take a LOT of breaks. Luckily, my friend on the excursion was able to do most of the rowing.

The trip is unbelievably beautiful, it's a do not miss excursion.

P.S. As of 2008 when I went, swimming became prohibited on the excursion. It used to be allowed.

Thanks for the advice, I have the bug spray in my pile to pack:) I am guessing we should eat before the excursion....

You see, with the Carnival excursion, you have NO WORRIES!!! Sure, eat a nice meal on the ship if you can, but the tour stops along the way at a shopping center. There is a drug store, perhaps, if I recall correctly, it was a CVS where you can buy bug spray and anything else you think you might need. There is a McDonald's (or Burger King...) and a whole bunch of other stores to shop for what you want and to grab a snack.

Keep in mind, and yes, I forgot, they actually speak spanish in the stores. I don't. I didn't even think about it until I tried to order and we had a lot of difficulty communicating. Luckily, the manager spoke english and was a big help.

Enjoy the excursion, you will love it and you'll be back here writing about it.

Archived