Just returned from 1st Royal Caribbean cruise.....

Thank you, interesting read. How did you like the beds on RCI? That's one thing we've loved on our last 2 Carnival cruises!

My bed on RCI Mariner was horrible. I've never had an uncomfortable bed on Carnival but Mariner was so bad I woke up during the night each night very stiff. I was never so thankful to be home from a cruise and in my own bed. Even the worst bed that dipped on Carnival was an improvement from the bed in our balcony on Mariner.

For what it's worth, my wife likes bath robes. We just cruised on the Radiance in March. It was our first time on RCI. We were in an inside cabin. I asked the room steward if she could get a robe, and within the hour she delivered one.

No charge as long as we left it in the cabin when we checked out, which we did.

My bed on RCI Mariner was horrible. I've never had an uncomfortable bed on Carnival but Mariner was so bad I woke up during the night each night very stiff. I was never so thankful to be home from a cruise and in my own bed. Even the worst bed that dipped on Carnival was an improvement from the bed in our balcony on Mariner.

Now you're scaring me! One person said the beds were hard (BAD) and now your story. Yikes...

Now you're scaring me! One person said the beds were hard (BAD) and now your story. Yikes...

FWIW, we slept on the beds pre-upgrade on Mariner. With an egg crate, we slept great! The beds of Freedom were firmer, but I thought they were super comfy. Perhaps it was the motion of the ocean each time? Or maybe I was just exhausted? Whatever the reason, we slept very well. :) Hope you have a positive experience as well.

I have a question: We sailed for the first time on Carnival this last summer, the Valor.

We had a great time, took our 3 older daughters. What we didnt like was:

#1: the {{extremely}} loud noise constantly at the pool area. All day long, video music blaring. All 5 of us stayed in the adult area all the time. It was too loud even for my older teens.

#2 the solarium and the cafeteria area had a real lack of "openness". We have sailed on Celebrity and RCCL and loved the "area" and always being able to sit and see the ocean.

Can you suggest any of the carnival ships that may have more what we are looking for? We were thinking of sailing again this next summer and taking the girls again. The cost for the 5 of us would be so much more on RCCL, so any info you can give would be appreciated. If the solarium area would have been prettier and more open staying there all the time would have been ok, but it was missing that luxury feeling

We liked the price on Carnival, especially when we are taking more then 2 of us. The food on the Valor was actually extremely good ( honestly rather surprised us:) ). The evening entertainment, and the piano bars we loved.

Thanks,

/nadine

Thanks for your review. Many of the reasons that you listed is why I no longer cruise with Carnival. I cruised them for many years and decided to try RCI's Navigator OTS. No turning back for me. Carnival just does not have any ships that can compare with RCI. That and the service makes RCI my first choice now.

Bothofus[/left];24628745]Thanks for the review. DH and I have debated

alot

over trying a Carnival cruise. We don't have

alot

of time for travel, and would hate to regret trying Carnival if we don't like it.

We sailed the Explorer last year and loved it, too.

Rachel

I was weary of Carnival too - but did a lot of research online and saw how hard they were trying to get past their "party image"

Was just on the Spirit to Alaska and it was INCREDIBLE!! I am really hoping my RC cruise to Alaska next year will be as good.

(BTW, my name is Rachel too :) )

Interesting...Mariner was our favorite ship when on the East Coast...and never had an issue with the beds not being comfortable and always slept well. We sailed her last just before she went to the West So I can't imagine the mattresses deteriorated that badly in that amount of time.:eek:

After the luxury of a Carnival cruise maybe ANY mattress on Mariner wouldn't have suited you.;)

I have a question: We sailed for the first time on Carnival this last summer, the Valor.

#1: the {{extremely}} loud noise constantly at the pool area. All day long, video music blaring. All 5 of us stayed in the adult area all the time. It was too loud even for my older teens.

#2 the solarium and the cafeteria area had a real lack of "openness". We have sailed on Celebrity and RCCL and loved the "area" and always being able to sit and see the ocean.

Can you suggest any of the carnival ships that may have more what we are looking for? We were thinking of sailing again this next summer and taking the girls again. The cost for the 5 of us would be so much more on RCCL, so any info you can give would be appreciated. If the solarium area would have been prettier and more open staying there all the time would have been ok, but it was missing that luxury feeling

We liked the price on Carnival, especially when we are taking more then 2 of us. The food on the Valor was actually extremely good ( honestly rather surprised us:) ). The evening entertainment, and the piano bars we loved.

Thanks,

/nadine

You might want to try the "Spirit Class" ships. The Spirit, Legend, Miracle..This class of Carnival ship, and it's layout may be more to your liking.

Truthfully though, some of the drawbacks you mentioned (the loud pool area for one) is part of the Carnival culture of fun. Some, like you; would just assume "bring it down a notch"...others would be drawn to that environment. Not that Royal isn't fun; but it manages to keep a decorum, much of it thru it's ship design, of..well; 'class'. This, and the enhanced activities and incredible ships, is why Royal Caribbean is able to fill ships at generally higher prices (and for what they have had to pay for these ships, probably have no choice but to charge what they do...)

So, if you want that total Royal Caribbean experience you are going to have to pay for it.

However, you have already pointed out some of Carnival's strenths (the food is equal or better than Royal Caribbean's in many...not everyone's...view)....especially for such a large family, I personally would save all that money and choose Carnival in a hearbeat; but that's just me.

It's just me and my honey...so our next is the incredible Independence of the Seas.

Mitch

Interesting...Mariner was our favorite ship when on the East Coast...and never had an issue with the beds not being comfortable and always slept well. After the luxury of a Carnival cruise maybe ANY mattress on Mariner wouldn't have suited you.;)

LOL. :) Beds....just like food....is very subjective. I have a bad back and to me, the beds on Mariner were rock hard. Not enough cush to them for my taste. Other people love them. But if you haven't tried a bed on Carnival then you might not understand what I mean about comfort. Trust me, every bed on CCL that I have slept on has been awesome. But that is just my opinion.

You might want to try the "Spirit Class" ships. The Spirit, Legend, Miracle..This class of Carnival ship, and it's layout may be more to your liking.

Mitch

I agree with Mitch. Spirit class ships are awesome. They are pretty and offer what I think you are looking for. I agree that RCI ships are more elegant and beautiful but Spirit class ships are very nice and the aft pool area will give you the open feeling without the loud music and crowds that happen in the center pools. Here is a picture of the aft pool if you look beyond the slide. It is far aft with a bar there and as open as you can get. Excellent place for sailaway too. It is called the Funtail aft pool on deck 9 lido.

2592819720040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

After the luxury of a Carnival cruise maybe ANY mattress on Mariner wouldn't have suited you.;)

You're wrong on this one. Beds on my last two Carnival cruise were the kind you get in a 4 star hotel, not the hard stuff they give you at Best Western. You can fool me about a lot of things, but not beds! When a company spends money on the beds, my body knows it.

Thanks,

/nadine

try the conquest class. bigger ships, more room.

Thanks for the review. We have done Celebrity Mercury out of Seattle :mad: and the Grand Princess :) out of Ft Lauderdale. Our next cruise is Freedom of the Seas out of Cape Canaveral in October and cannot wait.:D

try the conquest class. bigger ships, more room.

One of the worst designed ships IMHO. Nothing more than glorified cattle carriers. Packed pool and promenade areas. If anyone is going to try a Carnival ship for the first time, go with the Spirit class. They still have the gaudy Carnival decor but they are the best ship space and passenger flow wise.

.Afterward we ate at the Swizzle Inn which was very pleasant on the patio.

Best burgers ever! I wish I would have know, I would have asked you to pack one for me a bring it home :p. I'd drive to Bayonne for a Swizzle burger any day!!!

Thanks for a balanced and fair review.

Pool po po's : allowed kids in adult only Solarium , but swooped in on us when we inadvertently sat in "gold card" pool chair...who reads signs...lol.

That's disgusting!

It's bad enough that they allowed little ones in the adults only solarium....but IMO there is absolutely no excuse for bringing children in the water without their having a 'swim diaper' of some sort.

I'm hoping this was an isolated incident.

Archived