Thumbs up for Paddles Kayak and snorkle

jakedoc

Just returned from Antigua onboard Golden Princess. Our group of 14 took the Paddles snorkle/kayak Eco tour and it was great. I booked it independently and we saved 19.00/person rather than booking it onboard. They met us @ the gangway and we took an airconditioned bus ride that was narrated thruout lasting about 25 minutes. When we got to the base we were welcomed by Jen and loaded onto power boats for a fast ride to a isolated island for snorkeling. Lots of coral and fish. We also took a short hike for a great view. We then took another fast boat ride over to our kayaks and had a guided float back to base. Along the way we stopped a couple of times and we were given details about the ecology of the region and shown some marine life-They somehow caught a HUGE puffer fish that they showed us. Back at base they had cakes to eat and rum punch. The guides, the owners are all very very nice people that made us feel welcome. I definately would do this tour again.

We also just returned. I wanted to second everything good that has been posted. We loved this excursion. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. It was my first time kayaking and I was a little nervous. It was not hard at all. They gave plenty of instructions so don't worry.

If anyone has specific questions, be sure to ask.

A week ago today we did this excursion and except for the fact that RCCL got $36 more of our money than we should have paid, we had an absolutely wonderful time. Choice came down to this or Eli's Eco Tour which I have also heard great things about, but that was all day, no kayaking, and more money, and this was supposed to be 4 hours--turned out it was more like 5--so it gave us more time in St. John's. Definitely would do this again, but book it directly through http://www.antiguapaddles.com

We did the 12:00 tour and they made sure to get us back to the ship in plenty of time. I think we got back @ 1650 hrs. Some of the group that was on our tour were on the Explorer and they departed 1/2 hour before the Golden. That group left before we did so they could get back in time. They are very conscious of when the ships leave.

The cost was $50.00/person

Caroline, you mentioned you went in the morning...do you remember what time your tour left the pier?

We are now booked for Paddles for the morning tour, but our ship itineary states that it docks at 8am (9am St.Maarten time). We were told to meet at the pier at 8:05 and the tour leaves at 8:15.

Just wondering what your experience was with this...

Thanks! :)

Well, I can almost taste it. My wife and I have decided on a cruise for next winter.....and Antigua is one of the stops. I have read every post on every island we are visiting and I can't wait! This tour sounds like a lot of fun. Seems like everyone who has been on it has enjoyed it. It also seems like the best way to go is to book directly with the excursion in order to save some money than dealing with the markup on the boat. Lots of tricks to learn. Big Red, I was sorry your letter didn't turn out....interested to read it, but what was best about this tour for you. At first I wasn't too excited about kayaking, but it sounds like there is a lot more entailed here than kayaking.......

Anyway, any input would be great!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We will be there in Dec and are really looking forward to this. I have a couple of questions - did you tip your guide and do we need to bring cash for anything else (they mention souvenirs)? Also, I read to bring an extra change of clothing - do you carry your own stuff or is it on the main power boat (ie - should I bring a good camera or a disposable one)? Thanks for giving such great reviews and help us plan for our adventure!

Tanker

We tipped our guide, and purchased a couple of Paddles/Survivor t-shirts. You can leave any belongings you bring with you on the dock (no valuables, of course) and change there before getting on the van back to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I have returned because I'm so excited! We have just booked our cruise for next April in 2006! Antigua is one of our stops and we are excited to visit once again. We did Paddles last year and it was truly great. You can bring your things with you on the tour - just keep them on the boat while you kayak. We tipped our guides as well, but never did I see any tip jar or anything that persuaded people to do so - so it is not mandatory, but they did such a good job that they truly earn it.

Just a quick note on this tour - I have read glowing reviews of Eli's tour and have e-mailed with folks from this forum who have done just about everything on these boards. I can say this - this tour is special. Conrad the owner is a native to Antigua and he literally brings you into his life and shares his passion for his island and the ecology surrounding it. At the end of the tour, you feel as if you went on an adventure because the experience is so much more than just kayaking. My wife and I left feeling educated in a fun environment. Conrad and his staff have a great sense of humor that made the learning and experience fun. At the end of the day we felt as if we made some friends in Antigua beyond just going on a tour.

Like many others who feel loyal to other excursions - we feel the same about this one because of the very memorable experiences we had.

We saved $30.00 per person booking ourselves from what Celebrity charged. We were on the same tour as the people who booked through the ship.

We enjoyed the excursion very much. My only complaint would be the snorkel location they took us to (while beautiful) had no fish or anything there. Maybe it was a bad snorkel day when we went.

Archived