Question for Acey about Water Levels

Hi, Acey (and anyone else that can help answer this) --

I saw on another posting that you provided the following link to obtain the high and low tide water levels at the Reversing Falls: http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bin...on=5&stnnum=65.

Does this information apply to the tides at the caves in St. Martins as well as the Reversing Falls?

As we discussed on another thread, I am following the advice of you and Sapper1 -- scraping St. Andrews and going to St. Martins and the Fundy Trail instead because of the road construction. I just want to be sure that I'm looking at the right "water table" to know when to arrive at the caves.

If this is the correct table, then on October 6, I should try to arrive at 17:08 ().3 m/1.0 ft), correct?

Thanks!

Shelley

Hi, Acey (and anyone else that can help answer this) --

I saw on another posting that you provided the following link to obtain the high and low tide water levels at the Reversing Falls: http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bin...on=5&stnnum=65.

Does this information apply to the tides at the caves in St. Martins as well as the Reversing Falls?

As we discussed on another thread, I am following the advice of you and Sapper1 -- scraping St. Andrews and going to St. Martins and the Fundy Trail instead because of the road construction. I just want to be sure that I'm looking at the right "water table" to know when to arrive at the caves.

If this is the correct table, then on October 6, I should try to arrive at 17:08 ().3 m/1.0 ft), correct?

Thanks!

Shelley

The difference in the timing of low tide in Saint John vs St. Martins would be so slight as to not be worth considering.

You can walk out to the sea caves from about two hours before to two hours after low tide. Don't linger when the tide starts to noticeably come in as it can cut you off from the shore. Wear comfortable shoes---sandals or flip flops are not the best as you will get rocks between your toes or worse---twist an ankle.

On the website www.cruisesaintjohn.com under "visit saint john" there is a drop down box which lists tide tables for seven days in advance.

I just checked the cruise schedule for the ships in port on October 6 and two of them are departing at 17:00 and one at 18:00 so you would have to be aboard before low tide, especially if you are departing at 17:00.

Thanks, Sapper1. You are so helpful.

We are on the Crystal Symphony that departs at 6:00 p.m. (1800.) From what you have posted before, it looks like we should depart St. Martins for Saint John no later that 2:45 or 3:00 p.m. Is that correct, or could we leave later in order to make the 6:00 p.m. sail-away? If we need to leave that early, is it possible to see the caves at all from above (not walking into them) before we would need to leave for Saint John? Does the water recede enough to see the caves or part of the caves rising up through the water?

Thanks again.

Shelley

Your ship needs the high tide to sail away or at least most of it. You need to be back on board at least 30 minutes before sail away....of earlier. It will be in your daily bulletin.

Your ship will not wait one minute for late returning passengers and people do manage to miss their ship often enough that the port agents have a Plan B for them.

I rented a cottage at West Advocate so I could really watch the tides and get some understanding of it all. Once you see it, you will want to return and spend more time.

Thanks, Sapper1. You are so helpful.

We are on the Crystal Symphony that departs at 6:00 p.m. (1800.) From what you have posted before, it looks like we should depart St. Martins for Saint John no later that 2:45 or 3:00 p.m. Is that correct, or could we leave later in order to make the 6:00 p.m. sail-away? If we need to leave that early, is it possible to see the caves at all from above (not walking into them) before we would need to leave for Saint John? Does the water recede enough to see the caves or part of the caves rising up through the water?

Thanks again.

Shelley

If your all aboard time is 5:30 then your time frame should be OK---that is departing from St. Martins and not the Fundy Trail, which is further away. Time yourself on the drive out and see how long that takes you.

The caves should be quite visable and you should be able to walk out right about the time you have to leave for SJ----too bad.:(

There is a parking lot by the restaurant on shore by the caves and they don't mind people leaving their cars there. From there you can walk back up the road to the covered bridges---short walk. They are very picturesque and if you go to the other side of the harbour (small harbour) you can get a picture of both bridges in the same shot. The fishing boats in the harbour ground out at low tide.

Ask how to drive out the the lighthouse---not far and it is a pretty spot. the locals are very friendly and helpful.

The Fundy Trail is about 10 or 15 minutes past St. Martins.

The car rental place will direct you to the thruway and from there head east toward Sussex. After driving about 10 minutes you will see the overhead sign for St Martins/Airport. It will be just past the Irving Gas Station on your right. Take the Airport Arterial to the end---another 10 minutes. Turn left at the stop sign---there will be a St. Martins sign---and drive past the airport to St. Martins----The airport is where the twisty two lane road will start.

Archived