Sailed the Panama Canal? Experts please help

terrymtex01

Hi, Sonia -- Your friend may be referring to the portion of the trip going up the West Coast of Mexico. We will be going against the swells, and there is usually more motion going North than South. Bonine or ginger will take care of the motion. The bad part is that we have to pack, and that means the trip is almost over !! See ya in Nov !!!! Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it onto my friend so she'll be better informed. See you soon on the Roll Call message board. I'll be picking your brain re excursions!

I noticed this as well for our Jan 2011 Panama Canal cruise. The suites sold very quickly. The AE and AD sold out within a couple weeks. Even the ACs are sold and those are usually about last to go.

Maybe because of the length of the cruise people want to get a more comfortable cabin since they will be on the ship so long? Or the itinerary attracts a different crowd?

I'm actually hoping to see some of the construction on our cruise.

Jame G, please join our roll call for the 1/16/2011 sailing on the Star to LA...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1110852

We really wanted at aft suite out of LA. When we booked A YEAR IN ADVANCE, some suites were already booked. I think they are premium 'real estate' and go really fast. They may open up again later as people may have to cancel who booked so far in advance. :)

... would you think the current Panama Canal expansion would some how make the cruise not as nice if there is a lot of construction on the canal?

Are they expanding the Panama Canal? What, are they making it longer? ;)

I told my PCC that my ambition is to book the Epic for its first cruise through the Panama Canal. If they get a really big head of steam up.... In total deadpan reply, she told me I should be sure to book early, because that would also be its last cruise through the Panama Canal.

InThe

We did the Canal cruise (LA-Ft. Lauderdale) in February 2010 on Coral Princess. While the canal expansion construction (new wider locks) was visible, there was no impact on our sailing.

If this isn't considered a thread hi-jack, I'm curious to know how the Coral was. I'm thinking of doing Panama Cancel for 2012 and I'm trying to decide between NCL and Princess (Coral or Island).

we were contemplating going through the Panama Canal on the Pearl's transition cruise in September. The main issue we had with it, was the ports of call along the Mexican Riviera. They held NO interest for me and i was actually considering just staying on the ship at each port.

As much as i really want to experience the Panama Canal, the rest of the cruise/ports was enough to turn me off from the Panama.

If you're not too keen on the ports of call, you might want to consider the partial transit cruises that a few have referred to. (we considered this as well). The ports of call are much more interesting/exciting and while you don't get to say "i traversed the Panama Canal" you DO get to experience the Gatun locks. It's kind of a compromise in order to have both the Canal experience and decent ports of call.

Personally though, if you have the chance at a cruise in the Med and you are the kind of person to enjoy lots of ports/excursions/touring, i'd pass up a few hours in the canal for the Med *any* day of the week.

Archived