book with a TA

WASUP

We booked with a TA, I am used to using online services and doing it myself. I would like to know, if I find a better deal, can I ask her to try to get it for me? I would like for her to try for an upgrade to maybe a window, I have an inside right now, should I call and tell her to call the cruise every week for upgrades? How does that work?

We are going to Alaska and we are fine with our inside cabin, but wish to try for an oCw, we had an interior one year, asked for a window and they said 100 each person extra. Is there a timeframe out from date of sale that they might offer a deal to release some of the lower cost cabins to those willing to pay a little extra...

Thanks

A good thing to ask BEFORE booking is, do they watch for a price drop? There are some that do, which most times can get you credit or an upgrade. I would ask if she does this. Also, if you find a better deal and they won't match it, will they charge you a cancellation fee if you cancell with them and go with someonne else? If you get a negative response or do not feel comfortable with your TA, you can always cancell and book with someone else.

Most cruiseline reps WILL honor a price drop, if you see one. It varies with outside agencies, such as onlines and TAs. This is a question (among others) that you should always ask before actually booking a cruise.

Cancellation fees, name change fees, price drops, transfer to another agency - it's best to ask what their policy is prior to putting down that deposit.

So - the answer to your question is: You'll have to get back with your booking agent for her/his answer. Sorry can't help more.:)

I called and she said that she couldnot honor a online price, it is 100 lower, total. I just booked with her 2-3. found 100 less 2-4. She said she had already sent the money to Princess and she had as I am in Princess system and have a conformation number. So, what are my options? she said she already had me on a special discount. I also found a OCW for 300 less then she quoted. If I cancel, the credit willnot appear for one or two credit billing cycles, was what I was also told today. We have till 3-16 till we are 75 days out and the cruise line has penalties for canceling.

As I am not totally confused, what would you do? Cancel and re book with the online cruise people. I have used them before and they are really good, didnot go back to them as ALaska was daunting to me and we were going with another couple.

Thanks

If I were you it would be a no brainer, cancel the reservation, dump the TA and go with one of the others you found. In todays day and age of electronic commerce and hyper-competition in the travel industry, the last thing any consumer should put up with is a deceptive TA or one that at a minimum, is not cooperating fully in trying to ensure you get THE best price possible for a given itinerary. Even though I believe the TA can give you some kind of discount if they wanted to, a $100 - $300 pp swing for the cabin you described is way more than I would stand for regardless, online or not. That sounds like an AGENCY policy not the cruiselines. But the biggest thing to me is how the TA seems to be evasive and speaks of how "complicated" it will be to get a refund. BS, its just as easy as running the charge. Never heard of such a thing when you are this far out. For that little whiff of dishonesty alone and seeming attempt to "scam" I would banish that person from "my island" forever!

Call the TA at the agency with the $300 better deal and explain the situation. Have them set up a new itinerary for you on the same ship, price it out and hold it for 24hrs. You might even inquirer if the new agency can take a reduced deposit in the interim if getting your refund credited first is a priority. Then I would call the TA you originally booked with and TELL THEM you want to cancel XXXX itinerary # immediately and want a confirmation of the same emailed that same day. If they don't do it dispute the charges with your credit card company immediately. You might want to call the owner or manager of the agency that TA works for as well.

You know there are a tremendous amount of honest and reputable TA's out there who bust their butts every day to ensure their customers are taken care of. And often they don't get the credit nor the renumeration for it. But every now and then you run into a TA who feels that they are in fact, doing you a favor arranging your trip. Not to long ago I fired a TA who I could never seem to get ahold of. 6-8 phone calls, numerous emails and maybe a week later I'd get a call back. Not going to happen, especially when I'm spending big bucks on 3 staterooms...fired. Lots of others thrilled for the business. My time is valuable as well.

Oh by the way, in general, I have found researching itineraries, types of staterooms and pricing is usually best done electronically. Especially because you can research multiple sites at your leisure without the stress or feeling that you need to book immediately. Research online via multiple sites, find what you think is the best deal and then call a TA. The price you found may be the best or the TA might be able to get you a hundred or two off by calling the cruise line or via agency discount. I have gotten hundreds of dollars off plus gift cards by doing my homework. Other agencies who may not have "that" deal have matched in some way to get the business. At a minimum its worth trying. Remember, that credit card slides through the slot just as easy whether its $100 or $1000, the only person who knows the difference is you when you get the bill.

Archived