Taking food off of the ship

Kap Jack

The reason they don't allow fresh food to be taken from the ship is because of agricultural laws in effect in most countries (including the US). It's very easy to bring ashore some unwanted microbe/insect/other pest. This is particularly an issue if you're talking about things like fresh fruits and veggies.

So yes, commercially packaged and sealed items are fine..like the boxes of breakfast cereals. Some folks bring things with them, like packaged granola bars, if they're going to be off the ship and don't want to buy shore food.

Have a great cruise!

It it illegal to take most food off the ship is some ports. However, some people here claim that they do it all time with no problems. It is up to you if you wish to chance it. I usually eat ashore. I always keep a couple of power/energy bars in my vest or bag to grab if my sugar levels get low and no quick food is available.

You can get local food fairly cheap and a chance to sample local fare.

We usually try and eat at a local place recommended by locals. Have found some amazing food that way.

Otherwise I'd get something packaged to take.

The rules of no food off the ship is for good reason, do we really want to take a chance on messing up the local environment?

You can get small packs of pb crackers and things of that nature that would hold you over if you must take something off the ship, they sell some of this in the gift shop aboard.

Carole

Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's been a while since I've cruised. Do they allow you to take a drink and a sandwich from room service off the ship to port?

You can take bottle water off the ship. You could probably pour a soft or hard drink into a sports bottle and carry it off too so long as it's in a backpack or tote. But no open soda cans, juice bottles or alcohol containers. They don't xray items going off the ship but you might get stopped by port decurity if you're openly flaunting a sandwich or fruit. Best be safe and eat before leaving the ship and upon return if you don't want to eat local food on shore.

A bottle of water, even filled in a reusable bottle, will be fine. Any food that is pre packaged will be fine. A sandwich, piece of fruit, fresh baked item, etc is not fine. If you bring some sort of drink, make sure that it is prepackaged (i.e. juice bottle, bottle of pop, etc) just in case.

On port days, I will get an extra box of cereal from room service or the buffett and take with me just in case I need something. I almost always eat local food in port, but if you're waiting for a restuarant to open or something, it helps to have some sort of snack with you.

We will be taking our first cruise in Sept - Mediterranean on Royal Carribean.

Do you recommend finding our own shore excursions or going with ones provided through the cruise ship?

I see it's your first post so I will be kind. What you did was called "hi jacking a thread". The topic of this thread is taking food off the ship whereas your post was a different topic.

Please start your own thread with your question about excursions and I, as well as many other good folks here will be happy to share our experience and opinions.

I see it's your first post so I will be kind. What you did was called "hi jacking a thread". The topic of this thread is taking food off the ship whereas your post was a different topic.

That's not a hijack, it's a misfire. You're assuming this person knows what their doing and deliberately taking a thread in a totally different direction for their own attention and enjoyment.

Please start your own thread with your question about excursions and I, as well as many other good folks here will be happy to share our experience and opinions.

I would also suggest the poster tries the RCI or the Med destination boards.

That's not a hijack, it's a misfire. You're assuming this person knows what their doing and deliberately taking a thread in a totally different direction for their own attention and enjoyment.

I would also suggest the poster tries the RCI or the Med destination boards.

Good Call, Cat. I would say confusion rather than deliberate.

I'm one of those that has taken food and drink off of various ships while in port. Never had a problem, never been questioned or stopped. I usually do this because of our DS who is a picky eater. He's older now, so on our last cruise I didn't have to bring anything off the ship. We like to eat locally and try new things, but sometimes traveling with kids you need to help them out a little. My DS was always willing to try new things, but he didn't always like what he tried, so having backup kept him fed. Nothing worse than being in a strange place, not liking the food and having to go hungry when you're a little kid. I don't take anything agricultural, mostly peanut butter and jelly, cookies, juice box, water, that kind of stuff. This always worked for us and never harmed any person or the environment.

Archived