Personal extension cords now forbidden

mangetakk

What is the real reason they want to stop people from bring Extension Cords onboard?

1. Fire?

2. Consume electricity?

If it is Fire, then stop people from bringing lighters onboard and cigarettes. These are the biggest causes of fire.

How many times have we read about a fire caused by an extension cord?

3.So they can sell them aboard.

CPSC also estimates that about 3,300 residential fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring about 270 others. The most frequent causes of such fires are short circuits, overloading, damage, and/or misuse of extension cords

from

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/16.html

What is the real reason they want to stop people from bring Extension Cords onboard?

1. Fire?

2. Consume electricity?

If it is Fire, then stop people from bringing lighters onboard and cigarettes. These are the biggest causes of fire.

How many times have we read about a fire caused by an extension cord?

Whether due to the extension cord or just plain bad luck we DID HAVE A FIRE IN OUR CABIN. I had a heavy duty 15 amp extension cord permanently attached to a fused six outlet power srtrip. All I had plugged into the power strip was a battery charger for my camera.

My first post in this thread covered the details more thoroughly but the fire really happened. The blue powder used to extenguish electrical fires was all over everything so I can't tell where the fire originated.

Since then we have used the cruise line provided extension cord for the War Department's (A.K.A. Mrs. B's) nose hose. Ooooops, I meant CPAP machine.

I may joke about the CPAP machine but the fire really happened.

:eek::eek::eek:

Originally Posted by Oxo viewpost.gif

1. Fire?

2. Consume electricity?

3.So they can sell them aboard.

CPSC also estimates that about 3,300 residential fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring about 270 others. The most frequent causes of such fires are short circuits, overloading, damage, and/or misuse of extension cords

from

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/16.html

"Every year, almost 1,000 smokers and non-smokers are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials. The U.S. Fire Administration is working to help prevent home fire deaths and injuries caused by smoking materials. "

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/campaigns/smoking/

In other words, using those statistics, smoking kills almost 20 times as many people in fires as extension cords. Oxo was right.

Originally Posted by Oxo viewpost.gif

1. Fire?

2. Consume electricity?

"Every year, almost 1,000 smokers and non-smokers are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials. The U.S. Fire Administration is working to help prevent home fire deaths and injuries caused by smoking materials. "

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/campaigns/smoking/

In other words, using those statistics, smoking kills almost 20 times as many people in fires as extension cords. Oxo was right.

You can play with numbers all you like. But it doesn’t change the fact that dead is dead no matter what the cause is.

I think that it is a great idea to stop people from using their own extension cords. It will reduce the fire hazard that goes along with some of those dollar store fire starters or others that are 'nicked' or damaged with the passage of time.

I do however think that the cruise line should supply an extension cord on request. Doing so will allow them to ensure that the cords are of good quality and in good repair. And for those who do need them, it will be one less thing to pack.

I know the issues with smoking but that is not, IMHO, a reason to not focus on other areas of fire prevention.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be bringing a cpap machine with us on our Summit cruise and was wondering what the length of the extension cord would be supplied by celebrity. Are the plugs three prong -in other words have a ground prong on them. If I decide to bring an extension how long would it have to be to go from the wall plug to the balcony side bed table on the right hand side of the bed. I am almost thinking it would have to be 15 feet at least. Also I use distilled water so how is that supplied? I was planning to bring some in a bottle in my suitcase but if they have it on board I won't bother. If I brought a three headed wall plug-in adapter would it need to be two prong or three prong?

I will be bringing a cpap machine with us on our Summit cruise and was wondering what the length of the extension cord would be supplied by celebrity. Are the plugs three prong -in other words have a ground prong on them. If I decide to bring an extension how long would it have to be to go from the wall plug to the balcony side bed table on the right hand side of the bed. I am almost thinking it would have to be 15 feet at least. Also I use distilled water so how is that supplied? I was planning to bring some in a bottle in my suitcase but if they have it on board I won't bother. If I brought a three headed wall plug-in adapter would it need to be two prong or three prong?

I brought my CPAP on the summit last year. I called in advance and they supplied an orange extension cord and the distilled water. I had a standard 6-foot serge protector in my suitcase and since it also had other plugs, I used that one. It went from next to the desk to my bed across the room in a concierge class balcony room without any problems. I gave them back the HUGE cord to make the room look cleaner. I used the CPAP on the floor and it was fine. The end table was already full of a lamp and clock. The wall sockets are three prong on the ship.

suz57

Thanks for your reply. I know some people can plug personal electronics right into the wall socket but unless they use a cpap or similar heath related machine that needs to be bedside, they will never know the frustration of going to a hotel or someplace away from home and finding that the plugs are all used by the electronics already there and they all are quite away from where the cpap machine actually needs to be used. (try standing up sleeping next to the wall socket or lying on the floor even!) I have learned to bring an extension cord and sometimes have even needed a three prong - three headed adapter with the extension cord as things in the room have to be plugged back in to work and an extension cord multi plug head with the cpap plugged in is now too far away for them to be able to do so.

As far as distilled water do I request it in advance or wait to get on board and is it in a

large bottle or do I have to keep requesting through the duration of the 8 day sail?

suz57

Thanks for your reply.

As far as distilled water do I request it in advance or wait to get on board and is it in a

large bottle or do I have to keep requesting through the duration of the 8 day sail?

I contacted them in advance for the distilled water and extension cord (found a number online at celebrity.com for guest services). It came in a gallon jug.

I'm a CPAP user myself. Celebrity does allow personnal extention chords ( NOT power bars with 5-6 outlets in them..) for medical equipment purposes, although they'll supply a guest with one of their own if one fills out the special service sheet and requests one.

As regards water: if you consider the extremely multi-steps process used to purify water aboard the ships, by the time it reaches your stateroom tap, it's got to be the purest water around....!!! Last 2 cruises, I've used the ship's tap water and it felt and worked very good.

My opinion only

Cheers

C

Celebrity does allow personal extension cords ( NOT power bars with 5-6 outlets in them..) for medical equipment purposes, although they'll supply a guest with one of their own if one fills out the special service sheet and requests one.

I brought a surge suppressor last March - brand new with high joules and used it for my cpap without a problem. They are much safer than extension cords. I plan to bring it again. It has 4-6 outlets on it. I hope it won't be taken from me. The power cord they "loaned" me was frayed and old.

We're cuurently on the Millie, traveling Vancouver to Seward. On departure, one bag didn't make it through the Celebrity security. Had to go to security to retreive it and was told that I can no longer bring my own extension cord for my CPAP / phone / computer. They confiscated my cord, said that they would return it on departure, and provided a ship provided cord with a single tap. I understand the fire concerns of an inadequate extension cord. Mine was certainily as good or better than the one the ship provided. The front line security did recognize that my cord was high quality and did make a call to a security supervisor, who would not take the time to look at my cord, and insisted that I use the ship provided cord. So just be aware that personal extension cords and power strips are newly added to the Celebrity forbidden list.

It't not only the quality of the cord but the number of taps. Plugging in too many devices with high current draw can cause a fire or at the least trip the circut breakers.

Archived