Princess : Good for a 30-something solo cruise newb?

John73

Think I got most of it in to the title :D

How is Princess as a line for a mid-30-something cruise newbie. I have one trip booked on Celebrity this December but in looking around I'm also tempted to take a Princess cruise.

My interests in cruising : warmer weather (caribbean most likely destination), great food, good entertainment, SCUBA diving opportunities in ports, relaxation, and an overall 'spoiling' environment.

To put it bluntly. I love first class travel -flying, hotels, food, etc. But I also like to do it on a reasonable budget. Interesting mix, I realize.

With that limited info, will I be happy with Princess? Are the dining and drink options engaging? Are there good entertainment options on board?

IF there is any more info I can provide please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Hi There,

A lot will depend on you and how you see cruising,

Its it just a way to get from island to island if yes and you have a great time ashore each day then the ship will mean little.

If you go for a top end cabin, want spa treatments and lobster dinners ever night, then Princess can offer this if you want.

My advise is to ensure you get the cabin type you will be happy with,

after that Princess is the same as any mass market cruise line, you will

fine an excellant bottle of wine in vines if you want, or a pizza on deck

the choice is yours. As to age your fellow passengers will have a wide range the choice of cruise will affect the age group as well as time of year,

I have seen folks in there 40's being refered to as old while a few weeks later they were the youngest aboard.

yours Shogun

I think you'll be much more happy on a Princess cruise than the Celebrity cruise you're going on.

Celebrity tends to be an older crowd - Princess has a wonderful array of all ages and in my opinion are much more fun (my next cruise in 2 weeks will be my 21st) but if you stick to a 7 day caribbean itinerary you should have more people in your age group.

Princess has better entertainment, in regards to passenger get togethers, games, poolside fun...the list goes on! :)

My DH and I are in our 30s and Princess has been the best fit for us. Some of the things you mentioned are so subjective that everyone can offer personal opinions, and people here will likely all be in favour of Princess.

A 7 day Caribbean voyage will attract a younger crowd, so you'll probably find it works well. With that said, on all the cruises I have been on (and we cruise outside school vacations), people in their 50-60s seemed to make up the majority.

As Shogun says, some of the first class elements depend on how you approach the trip. If you book a full suite and order premium wines with your meals you'll probably feel above average pampering. If you want a truly luxury experience, book a luxury line (but you'll pay the price for this!). Princess is a mass market cruise line that provides an enjoyable all around experience.

I think if you go to the Caribbean 7 days, you'll fit right in. There are many younger people on these cruises. It is the longer more exotic foreign ports where the age range usually goes way up.:)

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like I should definitely try Princess. I'm going to look for a Princess 7-day Caribbean and see if I can either find some with reasonable single supplements.

I don't think I'll go for a suite, just a nice balcony cabin is enough for me. :)

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like I should definitely try Princess. I'm going to look for a Princess 7-day Caribbean and see if I can either find some with reasonable single supplements.

I don't think I'll go for a suite, just a nice balcony cabin is enough for me. :)

You will LOVE Caribe deck balconies - hope you can find one at a suitable price.:)

How is Princess as a line for a mid-30-something cruise newbie.

I'm 33, solo, no kids, and have cruised on both Princess (once: Sapphire Princess) and Celebrity (6 times: 2 x Summit, Millennium, Infinity, Constellation, and Mercury).

From that list, you can probably guess which line I like better.

Typically I will cruise in an inside cabin: I don't like balconies because (as a solo), you're already kind of isolated, an inside cabin will force you to get out more than an balcony will. (If the price difference is smallish, I'll book an oceanview).

If you have specific questions for me, I'll answer them. I don't want to turn this thread into a "my cruise line is better than yours" type thing. Like people, they all have good days and bad days.

I've c

ruised on both lines solo.

Last month on the Celebrity Solstice -it was an awesome 5 star cruise. There were people of all ages. There was 2 tables of 30 year olds seated near my table at dinner. I can't say enough positive comments about the ship & staff. I booked the Crown for a 12/23 cruise. The departing date was perfect & I got a great price. Both lines are very good and you will enjoy Princess too. I'm just spoiled by the first class treatment on the Solstice. I've done several solo cruises and have always had a great time.

Enjoy your cruises!

Let me know how you liked Celebrity.

Linda

I'm 33, solo, no kids, and have cruised on both Princess (once: Sapphire Princess) and Celebrity (6 times: 2 x Summit, Millennium, Infinity, Constellation, and Mercury).

From that list, you can probably guess which line I like better.

That's definitely voting with your wallet! :D

From what I've read, I think both of them would work out pretty well for me.

I'm now just trying to figure out when to go between late July or September. I'm already headed to Curacao for diving in early July so I think I may wait and find a Labor Day sailing. Still, it's fun to look at the options :)

I'm now just trying to figure out when to go between late July or September. I'm already headed to Curacao for diving in early July so I think I may wait and find a Labor Day sailing.

If you like sailing and snorkeling, Bonaire and Belize are really amazing options to consider....

(I've not been to Curacao yet, but it is on my list...)

Archived