Camp Carnival - Funship Freddy

prattmom

How much time does Funship Freddy spend in Camp Carnival? My 5 year old dd is terrified of any dressed up character and I don't want her being "terrorized" by Freddy in Camp Carnival without anyone to comfort her. This is a huge concern for me. I've shown her pictures and we've talked about him, but she still gets into a panic when I mention him. If I explained this phobia to the counselors do you think they'd be able to make sure she isn't in a position to have to meet/see him?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thoughts?

My 18 year old son with Autism has severe panic attacks around mascots.

We thought we would have to stop cruising....but we worked out a system with Camp Carnival where we knew where Freddie was going to be and we made sure we were not there.

It varies depending on the length of the cruise.

He is usually at the Atrium (around 2pm - 3pm) as guest board to take pictures and around 8:30pm in the disco with the kids for Camp Carnival's Welcome Aboard party

He will be at the Kids Coketail Party the first sea day.

He will be at the Repeater's Party.

One Sea Day they usually have a "freddie hunt" where he will walk the Promenade.

Then another day, Freddie will be on Lido for the Deck Party around 11pm.

Freddie WILL NOT be at the Orientation meeting on Embarkation day, so I would talk with the counselor at that time to make sure they understand your child's fears. Also, write it down on the paperwork that ask you to fill out once you arrive.

Freddie is only out about 30 minutes at a time. And oddly enough, we have been able to use cruising to desensitize our son. He has learned to extract himself safely when there is an accidently meeting. This has been a huge help in real life as well. A person does not realize how many times you interact with a mascot in real life until you have a child with this issue.

Now our son and Freddie are not going to be taking pictures together any time soon. But our son no longer will injure himself to get away.

Of course, it has taken us YEARS to get to this point. (and 30+ cruises)

But it has definately been worth it.

From what my daughter told me (she is 4) he came by camp on two different days (on a 7 day cruise). The first time being the 2nd day, and the last time coming the last full day before the talent show.

My daughter "was" scared to death of mascots...by the last day talent show...she was running around hugging him non-stop!

So I am not exactly sure what Freddy did, but he apparently made some friends! I do know when we saw him on the Prominade, if kids looks scared, he moved away from them pretty quickly. I think we only saw him on the prominade maybe once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I dug up this old thread to tell a funny story from last month. On the Legend last month some of us were talking how we have never seen Freddy around. Well, about 2 days later we met. I was standing on top of some stairs in a lounge, about a set of 5 steps. Freddy came into the lounge with his "handler", obviously it is hard to see in the costume ( yes, he is not real, it's a person in a costume, hate to spoil this for some of you). Anyway's Freddy failed to see me, I can undertand this I am only 6 feet 300+ pounds, well Freddy sent me down the steps as he rammmed into me. I layed sprawled out as folks celebrated his appearance.

I am fine, but now fear the man.

Archived