Katakolon and ancient olympia

BARNOWL ONE

We were in katakolon in april on the prinsendam. We had planned to take the train to ancient olympia. There was a train leaving for olympia at 0830 am, but the ship did not get in in time for us to catch it. We went to the small train station to see when the next train would be. The schedule posted outside the station indicated a train would depart around 10 am. When the train arrived, the conductor advised us that this train did not go through to olympia and the next train would be around 11pm. This departure would not allow us enough time at the site and catch the train back in time to meet our departure.. At this point, we joined up with another couple and rented a car. There are several rental car places just as you come off the dock. They all charge the same price....40 euros plus 10 euros for gas...we chose avis. No need for reservations...they all provide good maps and the drive is very easy. Park on the street near the olympia site. We spent about 4 hours there and had plenty of time for the excellent museum and all the ruins. The 25 euro per couple was significantly less than what hal was charging for the tour..i would recommend copying a good depiction of the ruins from one of the tour guides [ our local library helped with that one] to use when you walk around....john hildebrandt palm coast fl

We too rented a car and drove to Olympia. It was so easy and very memorable. We organized the car thru the internet before leaving for Europe, but I agree that you could probably do it easily without a reservation. We were off our ship and driving within ten minutes - a breeze!

We were in katakolon in april on the prinsendam. We had planned to take the train to ancient olympia. There was a train leaving for olympia at 0830 am, but the ship did not get in in time for us to catch it. We went to the small train station to see when the next train would be. The schedule posted outside the station indicated a train would depart around 10 am. When the train arrived, the conductor advised us that this train did not go through to olympia and the next train would be around 11pm. This departure would not allow us enough time at the site and catch the train back in time to meet our departure.. At this point, we joined up with another couple and rented a car. There are several rental car places just as you come off the dock. They all charge the same price....40 euros plus 10 euros for gas...we chose avis. No need for reservations...they all provide good maps and the drive is very easy. Park on the street near the olympia site. We spent about 4 hours there and had plenty of time for the excellent museum and all the ruins. The 25 euro per couple was significantly less than what hal was charging for the tour..i would recommend copying a good depiction of the ruins from one of the tour guides [ our local library helped with that one] to use when you walk around....john hildebrandt palm coast fl

we reserved one. It took little effort and we are traveling in the busy summer not in April

Out of interest, what price did the rental agency quote you on your reservation ?....the walkup rate of all the agencies near the dock was 40 euros plus 10 euros for gas for a small car. And, there were 4 or 5 different places hawking rentals. All you need is cash or credit card and a us drivers license.....john hildebrandt

Out of interest, what price did the rental agency quote you on your reservation ?....the walkup rate of all the agencies near the dock was 40 euros plus 10 euros for gas for a small car. And, there were 4 or 5 different places hawking rentals. All you need is cash or credit card and a us drivers license.....john hildebrandt

33 + CDW = 40 Euros Rent A Car Katakolo Elias rentacarkatakolo.gr

of note I was told that most wanted cash only

Do they ask for a driver license? others said we don t need one.

Do they ask for a driver license? others said we don t need one.

Well...ya...you ned a drivers' license to drive a car!:p

DO you mean an International Driving Permit? Generally not a big deal, unless you're stopped by police, or have an accident. We rented all over the Med a couple of years ago and didn't have one.

Kevin

I have a reservation for a larger car - 7 seat Fiat Dibolo for 80E per day PLUS gas.

With the information above that "smaller" cars are half that plus 10E for gas --- I'm wondering about my arrangements!

Does any knowledgeable traveler have information that would cause me to alter the current reservation?

We had four people in the "small" car we rented. It was fine. It only takes about 45 minutes to get to ancient olympia, so you dont have to be cooped up all that long. We paid cash [euros]. I dont think the avis man really cared, but i showed him my florida drivers license anyway. I would not spend 80 euros for this short trip if i didnt have to. But then, im a cheap sob....have fun john hildebrandt

There were six in our group and we hired 2 cabs to take us to Olympia, wait for us for 2 hours, and then bring us back to Katakolon. The cabs charged 30 Euros per person if I remember correctly. We spent 1 hour wandering through the ruins and 1 hour in the museum next door. It was more than enough time for both...

• 3 weeks later...

Jen:

I would say 60-90 mins for the site, maybe an hour more for the museum, and then whatever time you may want to spend in the town, if at all. We haven't been to the castle (yet), but I think it's not far from Olympia, maybe 7-10 miles or so?

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. We have decided against the castle. The company we rented the vehicle from said the castle was an hour and a half from the Olympia site and would be very difficult to find.

We were thinking of renting a car in Katakolon and driving to Olympia. How much time should we plan on at Olympia? We were thinking of trying to see Chlemutsi Castle as well.

If you get off the ship early and to Olympia early, you could be virturally alone in the ruins. Similarly if you head off the museum before the tour groups get there -- well 1) it is much more pleasurable, and 2) you'll be able to look around in less time than when you are dodging the herds. That will make other side trips much more doable.

Archived