Diving in the Western Caribbean??

slugbug

I am lucky enough to be on a cruise to the Western caribbean on the EMERALD Princess late September 2010 .... I want to do my Padi referral open water course before I go then do my four dives to complete the course during the cruise.... to do this I will need to find a dive school in more than one port of call ( needs to be the same dive school but I can only do 2 dives a day) has anyone any ideas or experience of this?

Many thanks

:)

Why don't you do the course at home as it would be much cheaper. Call any scuba shop as they probably provide the course. The diving is done in a pool. You can then get a referral letter and do your open water certification dives at two different ports. This is what I did and it was very simple to arrange the dives in the Caribbean. Just about every scuba diving company offers them. I did my open water dives in Barbados and St. Thomas.

You can do your check out dives while on vacation 2 dives in 2 ports.

Most dive shops provide this service. You will need to bring paperwork with you stating you are ready for the checkout portion. I think it kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Why not do checkout dives in a beautiful place. I did mine in a lake with poor visibility. Talk to your dive shop on what you need to take with you. You can book with the cruise or individual dive shop in the port. Search on the internet your ports and email until you find one that will do it.

We will be in Cayman in 2 weeks and the dive shop will do checkout dive for a friend of mine.

Then off to Cozumel for the 2nd round of checkouts.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice ....I intend to do the pool part here and the checkout dives there ( im too much of a wus to dive in the uk!) thought you had to do all your checkout dives with one operator??? :confused:

You should go to the Scuba & Snorkeling section and ask for opinions on the dive shops in the islands you will be visiting. That's how I got my information about where to book and the information was very helpful. Lots of experienced divers in that section who give some great advice. As to cold water, I am also a wuss. I live in southern Ontario, Canada, and there is some great wreck diving here but I have no intention of ever getting into water less than 75 degrees. I will be happy just to do a couple of dives in warm water every year.:p

Archived