Vienna hotels

raysig

We are scheduled to take the Avalon Luminary from Frankfort to Vienna in December, 2010. We will prepared for the cold and are looking forward to our third Avalon river cruise.

Our question is about post cruise hotels. We plan to spend at least 4 days in Vienna. I am familiar with the Hilton and Intercontinental offerings but we are looking for a small boutique hotel in the central downtown area.

Does anyone have recent experience that they are willing to share?

We stayed at the Konig Von Ungarn (King of Hungary) Hotel a couple of years ago. http://www.kvu.at/kvu_homepage/entree_en/entree_en.htm Extremely well located -- about a block from St. Stephen's Cathedral, and in walking to distance to everything in the old town. Nice rooms, good breakfast, and good help from the concierge in terms of restaurant and other recommendations.

I second Needzavation's recommendation of Konig Von Ungarn. We had planned to stay there a couple of years ago, but had to cancel because of illness. The hotel staff had been extremely helpful in supplying information on a variety of subjects and issues as we planned our trip. As mentioned the location is excellent.

If we get a chance to reurn to Vienna for an extended stay, this hotel will be our first choice.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sacher hotel is one of my favorites in Europe....the dining is outstanding, try their Wiener Schnitzel followed by a genuine Sacher Torte for dessert....Staff throughout are dedicated to service and very proud of "Their Sacher".....We always stop for at least lunch if we are in Vienna on a river boat cruise.....:D

The Sacher hotel is one of my favorites in Europe....the dining is outstanding, try their Wiener Schnitzel followed by a genuine Sacher Torte for dessert....Staff throughout are dedicated to service and very proud of "Their Sacher".....We always stop for at least lunch if we are in Vienna on a river boat cruise.....:D

I have looked at the Sacher. Unfortunately there does not appear to be any vacancy during our proposed stay - Jan 2 through 6th 2011.

Thanks for the referral.

We stayed at the Imperial Hotel. Pricy but very well located for walking the city. I even took the metro from the airport to the city and walked the rest of the way. So you can put the $50. cab fare toward the room rate.

The Imperial was a former palace, and very ornate. You know for sure you are NOT in a Hilton or Sheraton. Really added the European feel to begin the trip. The staff was outstanding. We landed at 9am and they gave us a room right away. :)

I was raised in the East and thought I was prepared for the cold, but I was NOT. Take a warm coat & scarf. I still get cold looking at the pictures. :p

It was a fabulous cruise, I'd really like to do it again! (In a warmer coat).

Archived