dressing for Alaska Cruise in Late June

woodbinemom

Family will be traveling on the Diamond Princess, june 23 (3 days land, then cruise). WHAT KIND OF CLOTHES TO BRING!!! With bag fees so high I don't want to over pack, but I also would hate to be toooooo cold. Bringing my two kids with me as well (teenagers who are famous overpackers). Will be doing lots of cruise tours, so will be off the ship alot. We are used to Carribean cruising where clothing (or lack there of!) is easy. Help!!!

In the past week alone we've had temps ranging from (during the day) low 50's - low 80's. You need to plan on layering, and rewearing (I know, anathema to a teenager...just tell them they have to pay the extra baggage fees if they insist on taking more than you think they need...that should take care of overpacking) clothes. My sister's family from Silver Spring visits frequently, and they never have a problem staying warm We, on the other hand, have frozen our b.....s off in March in Maryland. Fleece jackets with a windproof/waterproof somethig to wear over them will work fine for your outerwear.

My experience is limited, but I agree wholeheartedly with "layers."

When we went to Alaska in the first week of July last year, it was unseasonably warm for the whole trip. It was quite lovely! On our tour with Dyea Dave in Skagway he commented that he had owned his van for 3 years and during our tour was only the second time he had run the air conditioning!

Lots of people on our ship were complaining because they were suffering in the heat, having packed only cool weather clothes. Lots of T Shirts got purchased in ports during that trip. So be sure to pack your T-shirt and short sleeved layers along with your fleeces and it should be good!

I was planning on packing a lightweight winter coat (ok - fall coat for you from cold climates) in addition to a windbreaker and fleece jacket. We will have a tour on the Glacier Explorer boat in Tracey Arm Fjord near the glacier. Overkill?

I strongly recommend a waterproof jacket and be sure it has a lining be sure it zips out, nothing is worse than trying to dry out a wet jacket with a lining aboard a ship. Spray your shoes a couple of times with waterproofing and bring along hats/caps, warm socks and gloves. I would also throw in a few pairs of shorts and t-****s and hope the weather is better than you think.

Archived