balcony dilemma on freedom

Hi this is our first RCI cruise and we have been offered an aft balcony on deck 9 on freedom is it worth accepting this or just having a balcony midship. What would the benefits be. thanks Lynne

I haven't been on the Freedom, but I've had an aft balcony on Voyager and really loved it. It is quite a bit larger and you have a wonderful view coming into and leaving ports, especially if backing in. Balconies are great, but IMO aft balconies are even better other than having a long walk to elevators and activities.

IMO = in my opinion

I would take the full aft in a heartbeat. We tried to book one for our Freedom cruise next March and of course they are all gone. We would up with a cabin that's not quite midship (a little further to the aft) but I keep watching to see if something else comes available. For our sailing all the D1's are sold out but I'm sure as time goes on (especially at final payment time) something a little more desirable will come up. If not, we'll be happy with what we have.

But if you're being offered a FULL aft - on the absolute back of the ship, then your balcony will be twice as deep and it will be quiet back there like being in your own little world. The views are incredible. The walk to the back is worth it and it's not that far from the aft elevators. If it's aft as in near the back of the ship but not the absolute flat back of the ship, then stay where you are midship.

Some people really enjoy the AFT, I don't. I find it very tiring to keep walking to the back of the ship. It is a long walk. IF you are a person that does not mind the long walk then go for it.

If it's right in the back of the ship then it is very close to the two royal family suites...which usually means children. Because those cabins are reserved for five or more. This back hall is a great place to play and run around...so this may be a concern.

On the positive side, the balcony much larger...but if it is on either end, there is a bulk head that blocks part of the view, so take that into consideration.

Don't worry about the walk, it will help take some of the weight off that you are going to gain while enjoying all the great food choices RCI has on board.

The Freedom is a fantastic ship...enjoy.

Unless you really NEED a bigger balcony, then take the cabin nearer the elevators...it's a huge timesaver and very convenient!

If a larger balcony is what you're after, the aft is the place to be. Long walk, tho!

Aft balconies are great. They are larger and give you view to both sides. Also if it is windy, you are blocked. I love keeping the doors open at night and listening to the prop wake lull me to sleep. I do not mind the extra walk to the elevator, as it helps burn off the eats.

Aft balconies are absolutely the best for multiple reasons:

- the balconies are room-sized.

- you'll probably have a couple loungers AND a small table with two upright chairs on your balcony.

- the balconies tend to be partially covered/partially uncovered, giving you two environments on the balcony.

- the balconies are significantly more private.

- dolphins like to follow the boat, and you often have a good view of them.

- unlike rooms near the elevators, you never hear any foot traffic (because no one has any reason to walk by your room on the way to . . . well, anywhere).

The best of the best aft balconies are the 10th floor corner rooms. They're best of all because they only have neighbors on one side, and because they have the least super-structure to view.

I don't even think of it as a particularly long walk.

Thanks very much for all your replies i have decided to book a corner aft cabin # 9704 deck 9 has anyone stayed in here. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Lynne

Lynn-

If you go to the search button and put in 9704, you will get a list of all the threads that contain information and pictures about this cabin. Enjoy!

We were on the Freedom last August, and we had our first aft balcony. We love, love, loved it. If you don't mind the walk, which we were fine with, then it is the perfect place to be. We were on deck 10...not the corner aft, but I want to say 1702 or 1704 ( how quickly we forget. ) The balcony is larger, which was super for breakfast out there. The room was a bit larger too, I believe. You cannot beat the sound of the wake, or the look of it. It is outstanding.

When we cruise again, we will book an aft. It is the most wonderful place to be.

are the aft balconys covered on the freedom class?

I looked at some pictures of deck 9 and 10. they look to not be covered.

We are going on the Liberty of the Seas.

Deck 10 for us was completely covered.

If it's right in the back of the ship then it is very close to the two royal family suites...which usually means children. Because those cabins are reserved for five or more. This back hall is a great place to play and run around...so this may be a concern.

On the positive side, the balcony much larger...but if it is on either end, there is a bulk head that blocks part of the view, so take that into consideration.

Don't worry about the walk, it will help take some of the weight off that you are going to gain while enjoying all the great food choices RCI has on board.

For us, it was very, very quiet back there. We had no children running around at all.

I really wish I was able to cruise this year. My boy is heading off to college this year, so that is taking cruising down a few notches on the priority list.

IMO = in my opinion

But if you're being offered a FULL aft - on the absolute back of the ship, then your balcony will be twice as deep and it will be quiet back there like being in your own little world. The views are incredible. The walk to the back is worth it and it's not that far from the aft elevators. If it's aft as in near the back of the ship but not the absolute flat back of the ship, then stay where you are midship.

This is a good example of when the term "stern" would be more appropriate than "aft." If I am not mistaken, aft means toward the back of the ship while stern is the actual back side of the ship.

This is a good example of when the term "stern" would be more appropriate than "aft." If I am not mistaken, aft means toward the back of the ship while stern is the actual back side of the ship.

Maybe you should tell RCI because they call them "Aft" too. :D

I never heard of a BamaEagle. You must live in a House Divided.

Roll Tide!!

Have you had a cabin in the back of Deck 8 or 9 and actually experienced this, or do you just make crap up?

Archived