Dubai Hotel, Pre-cruise

ssawjo

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a hotel in Dubai before our Brilliance of the Seas repositioning cruise next April. I see there are plenty of places to stay but am looking for your suggestions and recommendations. It will be for two nights only.

Thanks, Bill

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a hotel in Dubai before our Brilliance of the Seas repositioning cruise next April. I see there are plenty of places to stay but am looking for your suggestions and recommendations. It will be for two nights only.

Thanks, Bill

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East for business in the last 18 months.

Someone told me about Hyatt "stay" certificates on my first trip in January 2009. I have been using them ever since when I have to go to Dubai.

They work like this-you buy the certificate for a certain price level. I always pick the medium price level ($165.00 per night). BUT the certificates are only good for the day you request. So if there is no availability at a Hyatt in Dubai on the day your certificate is dated for, you wasted your money.

The first time I purchased the certificates, I called international long distance from Kuwait to the Omaha, Nebr call center. The CSR was able to look at availability, book the rooms AND book the certificates for those dates, all at the same time. Only cost me an extra $20.00 FedEx from Omaha to Kuwait City over the cost of the certificates. I have used the same method every other time.

There are three Hyatt hotels in Dubai-the Grand Hyatt, the Hyatt Regency and the Park Hyatt. I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency which is in a great location on the Corniche, but there is not a lot of availability using mid priced stay certificates. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt 5 times and find it a great hotel with stunning service. The Market Cafe in the atrium serves great food at really reasonable prices. The Grand Hyatt is owned by the ruler of Dubai and he makes frequent appearances.

IF you can co-ordinate Hyatt "stay" certs with availability, you will be staying in hotel rooms that run $700-1000 per night for $165.00 per night. A GOOD value in my book.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/products/CertsStay.aspx

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East for business in the last 18 months.

Someone told me about Hyatt "stay" certificates on my first trip in January 2009. I have been using them ever since when I have to go to Dubai.

They work like this-you buy the certificate for a certain price level. I always pick the medium price level ($165.00 per night). BUT the certificates are only good for the day you request. So if there is no availability at a Hyatt in Dubai on the day your certificate is dated for, you wasted your money.

The first time I purchased the certificates, I called international long distance from Kuwait to the Omaha, Nebr call center. The CSR was able to look at availability, book the rooms AND book the certificates for those dates, all at the same time. Only cost me an extra $20.00 FedEx from Omaha to Kuwait City over the cost of the certificates. I have used the same method every other time.

There are three Hyatt hotels in Dubai-the Grand Hyatt, the Hyatt Regency and the Park Hyatt. I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency which is in a great location on the Corniche, but there is not a lot of availability using mid priced stay certificates. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt 5 times and find it a great hotel with stunning service. The Market Cafe in the atrium serves great food at really reasonable prices. The Grand Hyatt is owned by the ruler of Dubai and he makes frequent appearances.

IF you can co-ordinate Hyatt "stay" certs with availability, you will be staying in hotel rooms that run $700-1000 per night for $165.00 per night. A GOOD value in my book.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/products/CertsStay.aspx

Hi Greatam,

Good price. But I didn't like our last Hyatt stay. Of course it was in Bethesda, MD.

Have you stayed elsewhere in Dubai? I am looking forward to our time in Dubai next April.

Hi Greatam,

Good price. But I didn't like our last Hyatt stay. Of course it was in Bethesda, MD.

Have you stayed elsewhere in Dubai? I am looking forward to our time in Dubai next April.

Bethesda, MD is hardly Dubai. Lots of junky Hyatts around the world, but the two I have stayed in in Dubai are not those.

I have stayed in most of the Sheratons (IIRC, there are 4 but there may be 5 now). The government even has a contract with Grosvenor House, which is really luxurious. But at $1400 per night (US government price-$685.00), out of most peoples price range. There are so many hotels in Dubai, you just have to make a choice.

I swear by the Grand Hyatt. And particularly using the Hyatt "stay" certificates. Anytime I can sleep in $800+ per night hotel rooms for $165.00, I am perfectly satisfied. It is a true 4* hotel. But not so over the top that you feel "weird". I feel "weird" sometimes at Burg Al Arab (which IMHO is VERY Arabic), although it is a great place to go for tea or dinner. Just too d*** gaudy for me to spend much time there. I have been there many times with friends when we have taken a short R & R from the war zones. We always head there for tea or dinner. Tea is really "brunch late" and quite filling.

Please be prepared for giant dust storms in the Persian Gulf in your time frame. They haven't been too bad so far this year, but 2009 they were horrendous. EVERYTHING shuts down if you get in a dust storm. I leave next Sunday for another trip to the "sandbox". Other than 125+ degree heat, the sand storms have been minimal. But they are still shooting!!!

Bethesda, MD is hardly Dubai. Lots of junky Hyatts around the world, but the two I have stayed in in Dubai are not those.

I have stayed in most of the Sheratons (IIRC, there are 4 but there may be 5 now). The government even has a contract with Grosvenor House, which is really luxurious. But at $1400 per night (US government price-$685.00), out of most peoples price range. There are so many hotels in Dubai, you just have to make a choice.

I swear by the Grand Hyatt. And particularly using the Hyatt "stay" certificates. Anytime I can sleep in $800+ per night hotel rooms for $165.00, I am perfectly satisfied. It is a true 4* hotel. But not so over the top that you feel "weird". I feel "weird" sometimes at Burg Al Arab (which IMHO is VERY Arabic), although it is a great place to go for tea or dinner. Just too d*** gaudy for me to spend much time there. I have been there many times with friends when we have taken a short R & R from the war zones. We always head there for tea or dinner. Tea is really "brunch late" and quite filling.

Please be prepared for giant dust storms in the Persian Gulf in your time frame. They haven't been too bad so far this year, but 2009 they were horrendous. EVERYTHING shuts down if you get in a dust storm. I leave next Sunday for another trip to the "sandbox". Other than 125+ degree heat, the sand storms have been minimal. But they are still shooting!!!

Great info. Thanks. Btw, we got stuck a the Hyatt in Bethesda for a wedding as they decided the transportation for the wedding guests would only run from/to that hotel.

I would love to have tea at the Burg Al Arab. I know Azamaa offers it as an excursion. Perhaps it would be easier to do with the cruise line. I think we are going to try to have 3 nights pre-cruise, and than the ship is docked for a night.

Greatam,

Thanks for the information and advice. And, please, be safe in the big old "sandbox."

Bill

Greatam,

We will be going to Abu Dhabi next year to visit a niece and nephew that are taking on a 2 year job. We heard about the dust storms but can't get the "months" they happen in. Any idea?

Thanks,

Nancy

Can someone (Greatam) tell me which of these hotels is in the best location? The prices are pretty close. We found 5 hotels that we are looking at for next April. Of course these are the prices today, but I am not sure about the neighborhoods.

I only looked at prices that are

1) Fully refundable

2) Include breakfast for 2

These are the prices for three nights with all taxes:

1) Crowne Plaza Festival City (Breakfast Buffet) $914.94 (3 nights)

2) Crowne Plaza Sheikh Zayes Road (Full breakfast) $832.26 (3 nights)

3)Le Meridian - Airport Road (Royal Club with breakfast buffet) $963.91 (3 nights)

4) Intercontinental Festival City (Zone 8) (Superior with breakfast buffet) $1,009.68 (3 nights)

5) Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotel (Tower View with breakfast buffet, free airport pick-up) $954.00 (3 nights)

Note: We are aware that the Crowne Plaza is the cheaper hotel of the same group with the Intercontinental. We stayed at a Crowne in Bejing and it exceeded our expectations, especially when they put us in a 2 room suite. We have stayed at the Intercontinental in Buenos Aires, and Sheraton in Iguazu.

Any comments on these hotels or their locations?

Thanks.

Can someone (Greatam) tell me which of these hotels is in the best location? The prices are pretty close. We found 5 hotels that we are looking at for next April. Of course these are the prices today, but I am not sure about the neighborhoods.

I only looked at prices that are

1) Fully refundable

2) Include breakfast for 2

These are the prices for three nights with all taxes:

1) Crowne Plaza Festival City (Breakfast Buffet) $914.94 (3 nights)

2) Crowne Plaza Sheikh Zayes Road (Full breakfast) $832.26 (3 nights)

3)Le Meridian - Airport Road (Royal Club with breakfast buffet) $963.91 (3 nights)

4) Intercontinental Festival City (Zone 8) (Superior with breakfast buffet) $1,009.68 (3 nights)

5) Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotel (Tower View with breakfast buffet, free airport pick-up) $954.00 (3 nights)

Note: We are aware that the Crowne Plaza is the cheaper hotel of the same group with the Intercontinental. We stayed at a Crowne in Bejing and it exceeded our expectations, especially when they put us in a 2 room suite. We have stayed at the Intercontinental in Buenos Aires, and Sheraton in Iguazu.

Any comments on these hotels or their locations?

Thanks.

Note current Hyatt prices for our dates (which are a Thursday, Friday & Saturday night)

1) Hyatt Regency Dubai (Regency Club with Arabian sea view) (3 nights) $1,176.33 No Breakfast

2) Grand Hyatt (Grand King with Skyline View (3 nights) $1,225.38 No Breakfast

3) Park Hyatt (3 nights) $1,838.04 No Breakfast

Note current Hyatt prices for our dates (which are a Thursday, Friday & Saturday night)

1) Hyatt Regency Dubai (Regency Club with Arabian sea view) (3 nights) $1,176.33 No Breakfast

2) Grand Hyatt (Grand King with Skyline View (3 nights) $1,225.38 No Breakfast

3) Park Hyatt (3 nights) $1,838.04 No Breakfast

I will be in Dubai in 48 hours (I am in Chicago now and will leave on the Etihad flight nonstop to Abu Dhabi tomorrow night).

I personally would not stay around Festival City. There is this absolutely huge shopping mall (with Ace hardware no less) plus a lot of residential housing. Doesn't seem much like a vacation to me-staying where the locals live, work and shop. JMHO-I don't like the area.

Le Meridien is out by the airport. I remember seeing it one of the trips to the airport. The Le Meridien's in the Middle East are generally really nice. The one in Kuwait City is where I have stayed a lot. I like the place and the service. But the one in Dubai is quite a distance from Jumeriah Beach/Burj/Palms/Emirates Mall which are areas I like.

The government has booked everyone into the Sheraton Deira the first night for the meeting rooms so we can all get cleared. Plus the government has a big contract with Sheraton hotels.

If it was my trip and those were the hotels you wanted, I would pick the Sheraton Dubai Creek. More centrally located and the views over the creek are good.

I couldn't get reservations for any of the Hyatts using certs. So unless they are shipping me into Iraq or Afghanistan direct from Dubai, I am going to fly out immediately for Kuwait after I get my military clearance.

Booking far in advance at the Hyatt is certainly cheaper than booking 30 days out. The Grand Hyatt for this trip was $735.00 per night for the cheapest room. Even AsiaRooms, which usually has some dirt cheap prices, couldn't get me a room for less than $450.00 and that was a single bed in a small room.

You may also also want to look at hotels around the Dubai Marina. They have some serviced apt buildings that offer great value for actual upscale apts. My friend Heidi, who has worked in Iraq for 4 years, swears by the Dusit Residence. She goes there about every 2 months. She has always told me she gets a 2 bedroom apt for less than $300 per night. She splits it with others, so makes a cheap getaway from the war zone. There is food in the building but it is not included.

Great,

This is great info.

I guess what I forget to ask (since prices do change) is what is the best neighborhood, and also where do the ships dock, specifically Azamara? When we were in Hing Kong this year we stayed in walking distance to the port and do not know if that is an option in Dubai.

Probably our best bet, however, would be to be in walking distance to some of the main sites.

Great,

This is great info.

I guess what I forget to ask (since prices do change) is what is the best neighborhood, and also where do the ships dock, specifically Azamara? When we were in Hing Kong this year we stayed in walking distance to the port and do not know if that is an option in Dubai.

Probably our best bet, however, would be to be in walking distance to some of the main sites.

Raddisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Creek -

I think I might grab this one since it is refundable. I hope the Dubai Deira Creek is OK. This is a Royal Club room at the Raddisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Creek. All rooms have a balcony. This is $857.73 for 3 nights with all taxes, full breakfast, free internet in the room, free airport transfers, creek view, access to the Club lounge with snacks, afternoon tea, maybe drinks.

Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Deira Creek

Room 1 Royal Club Room

Full Breakfast, Free High-Speed Internet

But the one in Dubai is quite a distance from Jumeriah Beach/Burj/Palms/Emirates Mall which are areas I like.

The government has booked everyone into the Sheraton Deira the first night for the meeting rooms so we can all get cleared. Plus the government has a big contract with Sheraton hotels.

If it was my trip and those were the hotels you wanted, I would pick the Sheraton Dubai Creek. More centrally located and the views over the creek are good.

You may also also want to look at hotels around the Dubai Marina. They have some serviced apt buildings that offer great value for actual upscale apts. .

Ok, I see this now. Thanks.

Greatam,

We will be going to Abu Dhabi next year to visit a niece and nephew that are taking on a 2 year job. We heard about the dust storms but can't get the "months" they happen in. Any idea?

Thanks,

Nancy

Military information in the "welcome to the sandbox" packet (paraphrased)

'Be prepared for dust storms from mid-January through mid-July. Everyone has been issued a full head dust mask. This is mandatory equipment required to be carried at all times during this time period.'

What little rain the Middle East gets is usually from September through January. When it rains there, it REALLY rains. The first time I was there-heavy, heavy rains for a couple of days in January 2009, then February 2009-massive dust storms. The rains were so cleansing and the desert came alive for about 2 weeks. Little nubs of green all over. I was really surprised that it smelled "clean" after the rains. I live in the Arizona desert (100 miles West of Phoenix). It STINKS when it rains here-like muddy, wet dog (my wet Labradors don't smell as bad). It was a Midwest "clean" smell in Kuwait.

Just be prepared with a mask or a good head scarf if you are caught out in it. The storms only last 12-36 hours. NOT a big thing if you live there or are there for more than a couple of days. Could be a REALLY big thing if you are on a cruise and you can't get into the ports due to "black flag" conditions. I predict one of these cruise seasons, some cruise will be a cruise to nowhere because the ship either can't port or will be stuck in a port and miss the rest of them. But of course, those are the chances you take anywhere with weather.

Thanks Greatam!

Well we have been in heavy rains before but not dust storms. Guess that will be another new experience!

Be safe in your travels and thanks again!

My DH said he wants to experience a dust storm. I am still not sure if he is kidding.

My DH said he wants to experience a dust storm. I am still not sure if he is kidding.

It does sound kinda exciting doesn't it?;) We will go out for 2 weeks and hope we can take a side trip somewhere for a few days. Any suggestions?

Greatam,

I read with great interest your info on the Hyatt stay certificates, as we are also looking for a Dubai hotel for 2 nights prior to a cruise in April of 2011. The first night we will be arriving almost at midnight, so we will not really be taking advantage of any of the views or amenities until the second day, when we will likely try to plan a tour of the city. We are looking for a clean hotel in a good safe location from which we can do a tour without having to travel too far the next day and would probably not book a five star hotel for that purpose. That being said, the stay certificate price is very attractive and beats almost anything else I've seen.

I did not understand your comment about availability though. Do you buy this and pay for it without knowing if there is a room? Your later paragraph made it sound as if you did book an actual room at the time you bought the certificate. We would never want to take a chance of not having a room available, especially when we arrive at midnight.

Also, what is the difference in the level of certificate? Why would one pay more than $165 if he can get a room for $165 - that is, under what circumstances might I go higher than the premier level?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lynn

Greatam,

One more question. I did call the number listed on the Hyatt website for the stay certificates. The person I talked to said that although the certificates are good for one free night, some hotels charge additional taxes and fees, although most don't. He indicated that the taxes, if any, are related to governing juristiction charges, not the hotel itself. When you have used the certificates previously, did the $165 fee paid for the stay certificate cover all charges for the night?

Lynn

Greatam,

I read with great interest your info on the Hyatt stay certificates, as we are also looking for a Dubai hotel for 2 nights prior to a cruise in April of 2011. The first night we will be arriving almost at midnight, so we will not really be taking advantage of any of the views or amenities until the second day, when we will likely try to plan a tour of the city. We are looking for a clean hotel in a good safe location from which we can do a tour without having to travel too far the next day and would probably not book a five star hotel for that purpose. That being said, the stay certificate price is very attractive and beats almost anything else I've seen.

I did not understand your comment about availability though. Do you buy this and pay for it without knowing if there is a room? Your later paragraph made it sound as if you did book an actual room at the time you bought the certificate. We would never want to take a chance of not having a room available, especially when we arrive at midnight.

Also, what is the difference in the level of certificate? Why would one pay more than $165 if he can get a room for $165 - that is, under what circumstances might I go higher than the premier level?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lynn

You can book as many of the certificates as want online. BUT if there is no availability for the dates you want using a certificate, you are out of luck. AND IF you book a certificate for, let's say Dec. 10 and don't show up until the 11th, the cert is NO good. OR these certs were big marketing giveaways for businesses-they were offered with a lot of time share presentations in Las Vegas. So you got a certificate, but the date was April 12 for 4 nights. Can't make it April 12th for even one night, the certificate is no good.

Call this number-402 935 5307-Omaha Nebraska call center-the division that takes care of out of country requests (they don't ask you where you are unless you need FedEx out of the country). Check availability AND book/pay for the certificates all at the same time. Have your dates FIRM before you call. That is the number I have used every time and it has worked like a charm-find availability for a "stay" certificate, pay for the cert, confirm the room.

Different dates have different levels of availability for the certificates. AND different hotels will NOT accept the three lowest levels of certificates. In fact, the Park Hyatt is no longer accepting anything less than the top tier certificate. Hope this answered your questions.

Greatam,

One more question. I did call the number listed on the Hyatt website for the stay certificates. The person I talked to said that although the certificates are good for one free night, some hotels charge additional taxes and fees, although most don't. He indicated that the taxes, if any, are related to governing juristiction charges, not the hotel itself. When you have used the certificates previously, did the $165 fee paid for the stay certificate cover all charges for the night?

Lynn

If there were additional charges, they were very small. Normal check in procedures-give them the certificate, fill out the paperwork, give them your credit card. And I have always billed food, drinks, parking, etc. etc. to the room, so a few dollars for taxes/fees wouldn't have been noticed. Sorry I can't give you more specific info.

Call this number-402 935 5307-Omaha Nebraska call center-the division that takes care of out of country requests (they don't ask you where you are unless you need FedEx out of the country). Check availability AND book/pay for the certificates all at the same time. Have your dates FIRM before you call. That is the number I have used every time and it has worked like a charm-find availability for a "stay" certificate, pay for the cert, confirm the room.

I assume you need the Hyatt certificate number when you book the room, and than need to give the actual ticket when you arrive? My concern would be doing this so far in advance because the rules could change and than certificate no good for your dates, or is the certificate number plugged into you reservation?

Ok, I see you need the certificate code.

"Stay Certificates Terms & Conditions

This Hyatt Stay Certificate is redeemable only at participating Hyatt hotel locations listed at certificates.hyatt.com. Locations are subject to change without notice. This certificate is valid for the number of nights indicated on the front. Certificate is good for one continuous stay comprising consecutive nights at any one participating Hyatt. No credit will be issued for any certificate that is not fully used. Accommodations are subject to availability and certificate level at time of reservation and blackout dates may apply due to seasonal periods or specific events. Valid for a standard guestroom at Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® and Hyatt Place® and a, one bedroom suite at Hyatt Summerfield Suites®, single or double occupancy. Valid only toward the guestroom rate and associated taxes. Not applicable for food, beverage, service, or incidental charges. Hyatt Gold Passport points will not be given for the-value of this certificate. Reservations for your Hyatt Stay Certificate must be made in advance by calling (800) 555-0233 in the U.S. or you’re nearest Worldwide Reservations Centre. The certificate code must be provided when making reservations. Normal arrival and departure restrictions apply. The availability of certificates at and travel to and from, and certain destinations shall be subject to respective government approvals, regulations, restrictions and applicable taxes. This certificate is not combinable with Upgrade certificates, other promotional certificates, group travel, tour packages, conventions, or special rate programs. Not redeemable for cash or other substitutions, not replaceable if lost, destroyed, stolen, or expired, and void if altered, photocopied, or reproduced. Any unauthorized sale, reproduction or distribution constitutes fraud. Tax liability, if any, including disclosure, are user’s responsibility. Certificate void if sold for cash or any other consideration. The original certificate and identification will be required when you check in. Hyatt reserves the right to request a form of security deposit in advance for expenses not covered by the certificate. This certificate will not be extended beyond the expiration date. Terms are void where prohibited by the laws of the state of Maryland, USA. Hyatt Hotels & Resorts™ encompasses hotels and resorts managed, franchised or leased by subsidiaries and affiliates of Global Hyatt Corporation. HYATT™, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts™, Grand Hyatt™, Hyatt Regency™, Park Hyatt™, Hyatt Place™, Hyatt Summerfield Suites™, and Andaz™ names, designs and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation. © 2009 Hyatt Corporation. All rights reserved."

Raddisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Creek -

I think I might grab this one since it is refundable. I hope the Dubai Deira Creek is OK. This is a Royal Club room at the Raddisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Creek. All rooms have a balcony. This is $857.73 for 3 nights with all taxes, full breakfast, free internet in the room, free airport transfers, creek view, access to the Club lounge with snacks, afternoon tea, maybe drinks.

Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Deira Creek

Room 1 Royal Club Room

Full Breakfast, Free High-Speed Internet

I think I will keep looking. The reviews are good, but photos on tripadviser from guests do not look that good as the rooms look run down.

I assume you need the Hyatt certificate number when you book the room, and than need to give the actual ticket when you arrive? My concern would be doing this so far in advance because the rules could change and than certificate no good for your dates, or is the certificate number plugged into you reservation?

Ok, I see you need the certificate code.

I don't understand why you are trying to confuse the issue? It is a non refundable hotel. So if you change your mind or don't go on the trip, you would have to collect on your travel insurance.

Didn't I make myself clear when I posted the directions on how to do it? If you buy the certs first (which is why you would need the cert code) and THEN try to book the hotel at a later date, you may or may not be able to use the cert for that particular day/trip.

IF you do it at the same time, you can assure yourself that there IS availability for your LEVEL of certificate on the DAY you want BEFORE you purchase the cert.

And yes, you have to take the entire folder/certificate with you when you check in. Very nice presentation folder.

Hi all,

Well, I think we now have a reservation for two nights at the Grand Hyatt to be paid for with stay certificates at $165 per night. I have just been on the phone for quite a long time trying to make sure I understand the system and process. First, I used 1-800-555-9655 which is the number for reservations from in the country and was assured that both the reservation and the certificate purchase could be done together. The person in Nebraska I was speaking with checked availability of rooms using the Premier certificate and found there were rooms available. She made the reservation for the room and indicated on the reservation that the room would be paid for with stay certificates. So far, no money has changed hands. Then she said I would get a confirmation almost instantly (I did) and that she would transfer me to someone who would work with me to purchase the certificates. I then spoke with a different person who took down all of the pertinent information including credit card info. She said that even though my reservation was showing 10% tax and 10% amenity fee as additional that the taxes have already been included in the price. Finally we got to the point where we talked about delivery of the certificates. She said that "standard" shipping was UPS and that the packet would have to be signed for. I mentioned that it was likely we might be out of town when the packet would arrive and asked if they could put a "ship after" date on it. She said they had no way to do that, but if I wanted to wait until we returned before ordering the certificates, that would be fine. She absolutely swore that getting the reservation with an indication it would be paid for with certificates was the key thing and there would be no problem if we waited to buy the certificates. I so hope she is correct as this really is an amazing deal. By the way, I also asked if we were grandfathered if there would be any change to the program or to the participating hotels and she said "absolutely."

Greatam, thank you so much for your help and suggestions. If this works out, I will have extra money to use on tours :) In what capacity are you spending time in the war zone - military? consultant? journalist? Be safe!

Lynn

Archived