Dream Review - May 29th - Jun 5th Western

Oh my gosh, what an incredible trip we had!! There were 6 of us – my husband, his brother, our 17 year old daughter and her friend, and our 19 year old son.

First, our rooms – We had two balcony cabins. One balcony was on deck 6 almost all the way forward and the other balcony was a cove balcony (mine) on deck 2 mid ship. I LOVED THE COVE!!!!!!!! I had room service delivered every morning and had my coffee on the balcony and relaxed for 2 hours or so each day! I felt so close to the water! I saw dolphins, flying fish, boats, etc. The other thing I loved about it was that it was open air feeling. It had metal bars that went across that left the rest open to the air. The balcony on deck 6 had a plexi-glass window so when you were sitting down looking out, you were looking through glass. It was also hotter than my cove balcony. We all much preferred the cove and would do it again whenever we could!

The best part of this whole cruise was the lack of crowds in the ports. We were the ONLY ship in port at all four stops! Each port was EMPTY!! I’m not kidding!

In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab park. When we arrived there was probably just a handful of people there – like 5. Later in the day, ¼ of the chairs were probably filled. It was fantastic!

Roatan – we booked through Island Marketing a shipwreck and snorkel excursion. I would definitely recommend our guide again. I was a little nervous on the ride over to his place (about 20-30 minutes, I think). The roads were very primitive and BUMPY! Sam, our guide took the five of us out on his boat to a BEAUTIFUL reef. There were only us 5 anywhere in sight!! Again, no crowds!!!!! The snorkeling was amazing! He gave us his card with his website on it – Crystalbeachroatan.com.

Belize – My son went with his Uncle to go cave tubing. They said that was fine. My husband and I got really nervous though because they were supposed to be back on board by 5:30 – and at 5:50 they were still not back! Thank goodness that excursion was a Carnival sponsored one. The rest of us just walked around Belize a bit. HOT!!!!! But, no crowds. We stopped at Thirsty Joe’s for a drink. It is just a little shack/bar in the middle of the shopping area. We were the only ones at the bar and enjoyed talking with the owners.

Costa Maya – We three girls had the best day ever! We booked an all inclusive beach break through Island Marketing. We took a cab to Blue Bay beach club. I was a little skeptical when the cab pulled up to a small building with no one around. The guy/owner walked up and without even asking who we were said I have been waiting for you three. Welcome! We were the ONLY ones there for 2 hours or so – and then maybe 10 more people arrived throughout the day! The two girls working at the bar/hut were so nice and would make us anything we wanted to drink. The bar had swings to sit on while sipping. Our private little spot on the beach had 2 hammocks and chairs. Beautiful!!! The boys went on a Mayan tour. We were so happy we did not go!!

The ship – We had an incredible cruise. I really don’t have any complaints. This was our 4th cruise. We loved the Seaside theater. The comedy club was unique and very entertaining. I didn’t feel the WOW factor when we walked on the ship, but it was nice. I did love that so many areas were non smoking! We never felt overwhelmed by smoke and didn’t walk away with clothes permeated with a smoke smell. The “smell” was occasionally there – but honestly no more than on any other ship I have been on. The food was mediocre.

I think this is the time of year I will vacation from now on! All three of our other cruises were over spring break and the crowds in the ports were incredible!!!! Being the only ship in port really changed the feel of the cruise – loved it!!!!

I actually never did go on the Freedom cruise (I need to figure out how to take that off). We went to an all inclusive instead. I have been on the Conquest - is that like the Freedom?? If it is, I liked the Dream much better. I didn't like the way the Conquest was laid out - you couldn't walk the length of the ship. You had to go up or down a couple of levels to be able to get to the other side of the ship.

Chankanaab - I didn't know they had a waterpark there. If it is the little pool that is there, I wouldn't do it - but that's just me. This was our second time to Chanakanaab and I can't stress enough the difference. It was not crowded at all!!

You will absolutely love the cove balcony. Our room was 2326 - very quiet. I never noticed any noise at all - except the sound of the ocean... ahhhhhhhh

The girls had a blast! They loved the comedy shows (3 or 4 nights). They also enjoyed the Seaside theater late at night. And, of course, on our sea days they loved laying out and trying for a tan.

We gave them a midnight curfew. They had no problem finding things to do until midnight, and in fact would have liked to stay out later!

The girls had a blast! They loved the comedy shows (3 or 4 nights). They also enjoyed the Seaside theater late at night. And, of course, on our sea days they loved laying out and trying for a tan.

We gave them a midnight curfew. They had no problem finding things to do until midnight, and in fact would have liked to stay out later!

That's great to hear :) Thanks!

How was the room on the 6th deck. I have room 6268 book for August 2011 and read that people in the hot tub can see into your room. Just wanted to hear your or whoevers thoughts on that deck.

My family was in 6209 - they were far enough forward that they didn't have anyone able to see them from below. But, where your room is located, I do think the deck below will be able to look up at you. - If that bothers you, I can't recommend the cove balcony enough!! ;)

Thanks for the review, we are in the process of booking 3 Cove Balconies for November! Glad you loved your Cove. ;)

Question...how were the crowds/lines at meal times in the buffet areas? I've read so many complaints about the lines being so incredibly long? Of course, the dining room is another option at lunch, right? :confused:

Thanks!

Hey CruiseTricia,

We cruise on July 31st. Looking for a good spot for a little cruise critic meet and greet? Any ideas? I don't think any of us have been on the Dream before.

Thanks

Olga

There were lines to get food, but they weren't horrible. The worst lines were in the morning for breakfast, but that was really because most lines have an omelet station in them. The omelet people really held up the lines! :)

But, if you go all the way to the back of the ship, there are buffet lines back there that weren't too busy. I don't think most people realized they were there - or they didn't want to walk that far.

Just expect a little bit of a line (5 minutes - maybe?). Sometimes knowing what to expect makes it not seem so bad. ;)

Love to see you had a good time on the dream.Me,DW,and grandmother-in-law will be going on her in october.We booked a cove balcony as well can't wait to see the ocean up close,thinking about taking my fishing pole,lol:D.

Hi Olga - Deck 10 on the back of the ship has a bar that was never too busy. There is a pool there and you will be able to watch sail away. Have fun!!

That bar by the Sunset Pool can get crowded, depending upon when you do a meet and greet. We tried to hold our M&G there at sailaway for Nassau and it was very crowded. The May 15th Western held a M&G on the morning of the first sea day (not embarkation day) by the hottubs on the Promenade Deck (Deck 5) by the Ocean View area, port side, no smoking side. There are tables there and it's not crowded until they set up the BBQ for lunch. Might be an option to consider. Avoid M&Gs on Embarkation Day as it's a bit too busy with Muster Drill, unpacking, etc..

BTW, Tricia...enjoying your review.

Oh my gosh, what an incredible trip we had!! There were 6 of us – my husband, his brother, our 17 year old daughter and her friend, and our 19 year old son.

First, our rooms – We had two balcony cabins. One balcony was on deck 6 almost all the way forward and the other balcony was a cove balcony (mine) on deck 2 mid ship. I LOVED THE COVE!!!!!!!! I had room service delivered every morning and had my coffee on the balcony and relaxed for 2 hours or so each day! I felt so close to the water! I saw dolphins, flying fish, boats, etc. The other thing I loved about it was that it was open air feeling. It had metal bars that went across that left the rest open to the air. The balcony on deck 6 had a plexi-glass window so when you were sitting down looking out, you were looking through glass. It was also hotter than my cove balcony. We all much preferred the cove and would do it again whenever we could!

The best part of this whole cruise was the lack of crowds in the ports. We were the ONLY ship in port at all four stops! Each port was EMPTY!! I’m not kidding!

In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab park. When we arrived there was probably just a handful of people there – like 5. Later in the day, ¼ of the chairs were probably filled. It was fantastic!

Roatan – we booked through Island Marketing a shipwreck and snorkel excursion. I would definitely recommend our guide again. I was a little nervous on the ride over to his place (about 20-30 minutes, I think). The roads were very primitive and BUMPY! Sam, our guide took the five of us out on his boat to a BEAUTIFUL reef. There were only us 5 anywhere in sight!! Again, no crowds!!!!! The snorkeling was amazing! He gave us his card with his website on it – Crystalbeachroatan.com.

Belize – My son went with his Uncle to go cave tubing. They said that was fine. My husband and I got really nervous though because they were supposed to be back on board by 5:30 – and at 5:50 they were still not back! Thank goodness that excursion was a Carnival sponsored one. The rest of us just walked around Belize a bit. HOT!!!!! But, no crowds. We stopped at Thirsty Joe’s for a drink. It is just a little shack/bar in the middle of the shopping area. We were the only ones at the bar and enjoyed talking with the owners.

Costa Maya – We three girls had the best day ever! We booked an all inclusive beach break through Island Marketing. We took a cab to Blue Bay beach club. I was a little skeptical when the cab pulled up to a small building with no one around. The guy/owner walked up and without even asking who we were said I have been waiting for you three. Welcome! We were the ONLY ones there for 2 hours or so – and then maybe 10 more people arrived throughout the day! The two girls working at the bar/hut were so nice and would make us anything we wanted to drink. The bar had swings to sit on while sipping. Our private little spot on the beach had 2 hammocks and chairs. Beautiful!!! The boys went on a Mayan tour. We were so happy we did not go!!

The ship – We had an incredible cruise. I really don’t have any complaints. This was our 4th cruise. We loved the Seaside theater. The comedy club was unique and very entertaining. I didn’t feel the WOW factor when we walked on the ship, but it was nice. I did love that so many areas were non smoking! We never felt overwhelmed by smoke and didn’t walk away with clothes permeated with a smoke smell. The “smell” was occasionally there – but honestly no more than on any other ship I have been on. The food was mediocre.

I think this is the time of year I will vacation from now on! All three of our other cruises were over spring break and the crowds in the ports were incredible!!!! Being the only ship in port really changed the feel of the cruise – loved it!!!!

I thought this was a "Carnival Dream" review. Where's is the review?

Archived