Debarkation Transportation Question

Need expert advice please!

Sailing the Carnival Freedom on September 19th out of FLL!

I have our transportation booked to take us to the Port the day we leave, with a pickup time at our hotel in FLL of 9:45 AM. We would like to be at the cruise port by 10:30 AM! Are we getting there to early or to late to beat the crowds?

My question being our flight home on debarkation day is not till 4:10 PM out of FLL. So we are going to have time to kill.

Can you please tell me what time I should have our transportation pick us up from the ship to take us to the airport? We are all going to use self-debarkation but not sure what time we should plan on being off the ship.

We are all new to cruising!

Thank You for your help!!! We are almost to the double digits!!! :D

Everyone will be off the ship by 9:30 am or 10 am. Self debarkation starts around 7 am usually. the airport is only 15 minutes from the port. Unless you have somewhere to go, I would have a leisurly breakfast in the dining room and not do self disembarkaton if your flight isnt until 4 pm

as far as being from your hotel to the port in 45 minutes... depends on where you hotel is ...could be 15 minutes ?? You dont say where your hotel is.

Everyone will be off the ship by 9:30 am or 10 am. Self debarkation starts around 7 am usually. the airport is only 15 minutes from the port. Unless you have somewhere to go, I would have a leisurly breakfast in the dining room and not do self disembarkaton if your flight isnt until 4 pm

as far as being from your hotel to the port in 45 minutes... depends on where you hotel is ...could be 15 minutes ?? You dont say where your hotel is.

We are staying at the SpringHill Suites in Dania Beach which is less than 5 miles from the cruise port if I am not mistaken.

So I guess I am confused about the self disembarkation. I guess I thought using that you could be one of the last ones off the ship. Since we have a 4 pm flight we are in NO hurry.

Self assist people are some of the FIRST people off the ship. I believe it's designed for people that are in a rush and don't have the time to search for their lugguge. I took a cruise on the Freedom in May out of FLL and they started letting the self assist people off before 6:30am.

Carnival assigns your debark time based upon your flight time. Those with later flights will automatically be assigned to one of the later zones to get called off the ship. You can have a leisurely breakfast and hang out on the ship a little longer, but the ship will most likely be clear between 10-10:30am at the very latest. They need to get ready for the next sailing.

Im not sure if you thought about it or if it's in your budget, but have you thought about maybe doing a post cruise excursion to kill time? I ran into the same problem with having a 3:00pm flight. We did an airboat ride thru the Everglades. The excursion ended around 1:00pm and they dropped us off at the airport. It was a great way to conclude the vacation, see a little bit of Florida and it made the morning and afternoon fly by.

Just a thought though.

Have a fabulous trip!

Oh yeah...Our hotel was actually right around the corner from yours in Dania Beach (we stayed at Courtyard by Marriot)...It was only about a 10-15 minute drive to get to the port. If you leave at 9:45 you should be there by 10:00am or so...We left our hotel at 10:00 and were climbing out of our shuttle at the port around 10:15. You should definitely beat the crowds at this time and encounter virtually no lines.Check in for us only took a few minutes. You will have to wait until about 11:30am-noon to get on the ship though, so you will basically just hanging out until they let you on the ship.

The advantage of getting there early is that you will be one of the first zones called onboard and can grab lunch and everything before it gets crowded.

You will be at the airport way too early if you use self-debark. I agree - have a nice breakfast, and get off with the later waves. (The self-debark is a madhouse - everyone wants elevators).

The airport terminal we used last year was very sparse. And we had to wait a couple of hours before they even opened the stations to let us check in luggage. Try to find something else to do to keep occupied!

And if you can, definitely look into Luggage Express! This way, your luggage will be taken off the ship, and you won't have to worry about schlepping it around if you elect to do a post-cruise excursion. I believe it's $20.00 per person plus any baggage fees (to the airline).

I agree with the poster that mentioned the everglades tour - we did that when we went out of FLL also...it was awesome. Booked it through Carnival so they brought a large bus and all our luggage was stowed beneath...went on the tour (airboat ride was COOL!) and they took us to the airport.

I would recommend that one.

We had the same dilemna in Nov. 08. Take the ship sponsored tour (I think it goes to the Everglades and you see an alligator show as well) and then the bus takes you straight to the airport. That way your day is completely wasted.

Archived