Celebrity Mercury Alaska Cruise Questions

Hello Everyone

First thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to these questions

We are scheduled to sail on the Mercury and have a Royal Suite 2 adults and 2 kids. I have a few questions which hope I can get answered.

1. Beverage Package: Not big drinkers so the Classic and Premium Alcohol packages seem a little much for us. However, I have ordered the in room Bar Setup (one bottle should be more than enough to tide both my wife and I for a week). Is the Premium Non Alcoholic package worth it, not sure how it meshes with the Suite perks as we're supposed to be able to get Coffee drinks in suite etc.

2. Internet Connection: Sadly I will be working while on board. I know there have been complaints about the internet speed and access on board but I signed up for it. Any other suggestions that I could use to have as good an experience as possible with the access? I need access to email and ability to download and work on files up to 10 MB (may not be feasible I just need to know ahead of time)

3. Excursions: Any cannot miss excursions in Juneau, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan? Kids are 12 and 9 respectively. For anyone who has used them are the kid programs onboard well run and something that the kids enjoy?

4. Cell Phone Coverage: Is there any Verizon Wireless service in any of the ports mentioned above so I am not "roaming" all the time?

5. Any must have acccessories? Binoculars come to mind any suggestions for a good pair as I have never purchased one, already have the camera and video camera covered.

That's all for now, If there are too many questions I apologize in advance and yes the user name is the result of many prior name rejections by the CC boards.

Thanks

Hello Everyone

First thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to these questions

We are scheduled to sail on the Mercury and have a Royal Suite 2 adults and 2 kids. I have a few questions which hope I can get answered.

1. Beverage Package: Not big drinkers so the Classic and Premium Alcohol packages seem a little much for us. However, I have ordered the in room Bar Setup (one bottle should be more than enough to tide both my wife and I for a week). Is the Premium Non Alcoholic package worth it, not sure how it meshes with the Suite perks as we're supposed to be able to get Coffee drinks in suite etc.

Can't help you here. Don't drink

2. Internet Connection: Sadly I will be working while on board. I know there have been complaints about the internet speed and access on board but I signed up for it. Any other suggestions that I could use to have as good an experience as possible with the access? I need access to email and ability to download and work on files up to 10 MB (may not be feasible I just need to know ahead of time)

Yeah, it is as slow as everyone says. I will take a lot of time to download that file. HOWEVER do check in port as you can buy a package that will carry over several ports and they are much faster.

3. Excursions: Any cannot miss excursions in Juneau, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan? Kids are 12 and 9 respectively. For anyone who has used them are the kid programs onboard well run and something that the kids enjoy?

Highly recommend whale watching at Icy Strait and Juneau. You can take the bus onshore to Mendenhal glacier and come and go as you wish. There are lots of little stalls that will get you tickets if you want. In Ketchikan, head over to Creek street.

4. Cell Phone Coverage: Is there any Verizon Wireless service in any of the ports mentioned above so I am not "roaming" all the time?

As long as you are near a town (not that easy in Alasaka) you will find good cell service. Sometime you will think you are a thousand miles from anything and still get cell service. I am on ATT, but never heard anyone really complain about it. (understandable though when you don't have it. Deep in some Fjord or in Canada.)

5. Any must have acccessories? Binoculars come to mind any suggestions for a good pair as I have never purchased one, already have the camera and video camera covered.

YES! You will really love a good set of binoculars. 10X50 minmimum. Even after you get home they will come in handy at the beach. :eek:

That's all for now, If there are too many questions I apologize in advance and yes the user name is the result of many prior name rejections by the CC boards.

Thanks

Here are a few tips. Ask away. This will be our 18th year in Alaska. Also, check out the Alaska port board on CC.

Archived