Trip Report - Sensation 1-29 to 2-3

Rowan555

Where is the Whale Lot located? We are driving in the day before (it's only a 4 hour drive but it's a stressful 4 hours *wink*) and staying at the Sheraton. Parking there sucks ~ I don't think they would honor the cruise line pricing, either. We parked in the Cruise Terminal lot(??) last time and were bussed over and back (nice ride, though). Of course, this time we'll have an almost-three-year-old and a 5 year old. What were the parking conditions like?

Are you familiar with the Riverwalk? The parking lot right in front of the Riverwalk is the whale lot, and that's where my car was parked. When you leave the cruise terminal you just hang an immediate right and turn right onto the street which takes you out of the terminal. When you get to the end (I think it's Julia Street?) you'll see the beginning of the parking lot - you cross over to the left and enter the parking lot right there. It's no more than a short 4 block walk, and I'd take that ANY day over shuttling anywhere with luggage and children. You show them your boarding pass or sail and sign, etc, and they give you the $12 per day cruise passenger rate.

We'll definitely use that parking lot again until the cruise terminal's new garage is completed.

I was on the same cruise with my family and we enjoyed it just as much. I would agree that there was some rocking on the ship -- one of our tablemates was sick the second night. However, we brought chewable 24-hour Bonine along and had no problems. We were also in the Ecstasy dining room and our servers were great, as was the food. We went to the two Vegas-style shows but skipped the magician since none of our group is particularly fond of magic shows. If there was one area I thought could use some improvement, it was the shows in the lounge. Other than that, we really had a great time. The beach in Costa Maya has sand but you can't swim in the ocean, just the pool. There are beach chairs in the sunbathing area, but there is a retaining wall separating it from the actual coast, which is very rocky and is posted with "No Swimming" signs. There is a nice sand beach to the right as you face the beach but it was closed and there is no access, at least when we were there (I asked of the Costa Maya security staff and he told me it was private). I think if I cruise the same itinerary again, I would plan a shore excursion for our day in Costa Maya. There are quite a few shops and a large pool with a swim-up bar but we can only fill so much time with shopping and swimming and are not drinkers. We loved Cozumel, where we went to Mr. Sancho's Beach in the a.m. and then to town in the p.m.

I would definitely cruise the Sensation again.

Archived