Carnival cancels reservation

seadays4me

Make sense!! Learn something new everyday.:) What kind of down payment is needed to charter a ship? Conquest or Spirit class size? Would you know?

Benn out of the business for too long to have any good idea. The last one I did (full charter, 3 nights) was about $600,000 net before our fee.

Speaking of down payments, on that one we were booking the ship about 14 months in advance. The cruise line wanted a third at contract signing, a third at 180 days out, and the balance 90 days out. The corporation who was paying the bill had the full allotment in the current year's budget so gave it all to us at once. We opened a trust account holding insured CD's timed to expire at the payment due dates. I think the CD's only paid like 2.5% or so but we made a few extra dollars because the corporation couldn't figure out how to disburse the money across two fiscal years. Better us than the cruise line.

Guest cruzr44
Went to the Carnival web site over the weekend to make updates to my reservation, only to see the notice "You have cancelled your reservation" news to me. Called Carnival and all they would say was call your TA. If you booked through us directly we would help you. TA (Web Based) finally got back to me today and said Carnival has cancelled all confirmed bookings for that cruise. Carnival will return my deposit in 5 to 10 days. Thats It! I know that Trump chartered this cruise (Legend 9/26/2005) but that was over a month ago and I am just finding out now.

I understand its in the contract about cancelletions, but I booked this far in advance to get a good price and cabin. I would have switched to the week before or week after, but now the prices have gone up about $500 from what I payed and the desireable cabins are gone. No credits, no offer to change the reservation. I wonder if I booked directly through Carnival instead of a TA if things would of been different. To make things worse, in order to save some cash, I got travel insurance through insuremytrip.com. Lets see what will happen with that.

I am not happy with Carnival, they are making more money on the Charter, but are not even trying to make the guests that they dumped happy.

You can transfer your insurance to your new booking. I have done that when I had to change my travel plans.

One of the problems with "partial charters" is that sometimes entertainment, etc. is skewed toward the large charter group. Several years ago, we were on a cruise that was about 75% chartered to a group of insurance agents. The library was "off limits" for the entire cruise as it was being used by the group. It was impossible to schedule a massage as the masseurs were totally booked up by the group. During the two evenings that would normally have "Broadway-type" shows, the shows were partly ship's entertainment and part charter-group talent shows and roasts. Not very entertaining to those not in the group. Dinners weren't always enjoyable, relaxing events, as there was an awful lot of table hopping, shouting between tables and impromptu "entertainment". We did receive $100 shipboard credit, but it wasn't offered until we complained.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Since Carnival won't move our booking to a different date (one week later or one week before) at the same price we originally paid we deceided to look for an alternative. Since the Carnival Legend and the Voyager of the Seas are now about the same price (8 night vs 9 night), we are now going with RCI Voyager of the Seas. I guess the main plus is that the Voyager sails out of Bayonne instead of NYC. That will save us $100 in parking alone. I hope that we will be as happy sailing with RCI as we have been many times with Carnival.

Oh and Travelex Insurance were very nice. No problem switching to a different cruise line or date.

Thanks, Ron

I was very suprised yesterday when I received my credit card statement and my deposit for my May 29 sailing on Valor had been refunded. I called my TA to find out what has happened to my cruise. I was informed that Carnival had "dumped" all booking with groups less than 16 cabins. My TA said that they were talking to carnival to get my cabin back. She said the prices had doubled and the ship was overbooked.

I was very suprised yesterday when I received my credit card statement and my deposit for my May 29 sailing on Valor had been refunded. I called my TA to find out what has happened to my cruise. I was informed that Carnival had "dumped" all booking with groups less than 16 cabins. My TA said that they were talking to carnival to get my cabin back. She said the prices had doubled and the ship was overbooked.

I would call your TA and request a 3 way call with Carnival. I just checked and there's lots of availability for May 29 Valor. Did you book as a group? What your TA said sounds fishy. If the ship is overbooked what cabins would there be available to double the price on?? What type of cabin did you book?

Oh and one more thing,

I would of never thought that Donald Trump would screw up my travel plans. Yes I mad, but I will still watch the show tonight.

You know the Trumpster Man is out for number uno only!

I just don't think the Trumpster Man and I wouldn't see eye to eye on many things.

LOL, and enough said.

O.k. I'm the slow one of the group... Who chartered the boat?? Did you all say Trump?? I never knew they could do that and just up and pop and kick you off the boat..

Expedia and Trump chartered the Carnival Legend for the 9/26/05 sailing for a special Apprentice themed cruise. As of this past weekend the entire ship had been chartered. Anyone who had a confirmed reservation prior to the charter has been cancelled by Carnival.

So yes they can and yes they will. The only obligation they have is to return your deposit.

Oh and one more thing,

I would of never thought that Donald Trump would screw up my travel plans. Yes I mad, but I will still watch the show tonight.

You just might be thanking the Donald after this cruise. The Voyager ships are awesome. CCL has better food, entertainment is about the same, and your eyes will love you for not exposing them to all that neon.

Have a great cruise :-)

Bill

Thanks,

I am now booked on the Voyager of the Seas to the Caribbian out of Bayonne, NJ on 9/23/05. When I booked the Legend last October the price was very good, so I didn't pass it up. The prices now are about the same day for day, with the Voyager cruise one day longer. So with less of a hassle getting to the NJ port instead of NYC I thought I'd try it.

Ron

One of the problems with "partial charters" is that sometimes entertainment, etc. is skewed toward the large charter group. Several years ago, we were on a cruise that was about 75% chartered to a group of insurance agents. The library was "off limits" for the entire cruise as it was being used by the group. It was impossible to schedule a massage as the masseurs were totally booked up by the group.

Insurance agents rub a lot of people the wrong way

You just might be thanking the Donald after this cruise. The Voyager ships are awesome. CCL has better food, entertainment is about the same, and your eyes will love you for not exposing them to all that neon.

Have a great cruise :-)

Bill

Been on the Legend, Navigator and Mariner and I beg to differ. The Legend is my favorite of the 3. Not too big, not too small and not much neon. My DW hates the neon on some of the older Carnival ships, but she and I both thought that the decor on the Legend was right up there with the Voyager classes we've been on. Don't get me wrong, I love the Voyager ships too. We're going back on the Navigator in Oct. However I do look forward to sailing the Legend again.

I can't wait for my Legend cruise but with that being said I did Voyager of the Sea from NJ last May and it was a nice cruise. Loved having no air fare to add to expense and the ports were great! Make sure you get tickets for the Ice Show, we liked it so much we went twice.

I got a call from my TA and was told that I was able to keep the Cabin that I booked at the same price. It was an 8a cabin. The refund on my credit card statement was directly from Carnival. The TA told me that 'Their booking was canceled" because the did not fill the amount of cabins. This is an agency local with a major internet website.

Archived