Bucket of Beer & Wine Cards

oshawa

I read somewhere on one of these posts that HAL offers a "Bucket of Beer" and Wine Cards. Where would I find pricing for these items on the HAL website (?) if there are such promotions.

These beers can be ordered for cabin consumption:

6-pack Bud Light domestic beer no price found

6-pack Miller Lite domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Amstel Light imported beer $23.00

6-pack Corona imported beer $23.00

6-pack Miller Genuine Draft domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Heineken imported beers $23.00

This is the present cost of a wine card (includes the 15% gratuity):

House wine card -- 10 glasses for $41.40

House wine card -- 20 glasses for $77.63

Beer buckets are get 6 beers for the price of 5. There are different prices for domestic v. imported beer, and I don't remember is there is a mix & match option. A domestic beer is $4.25, I think, so you can sort of get the idea of the pricing. When I say mix and match, I mean both domestic and imported in the same bucket. You can, for example, get one bucket of 3 Miller Lite and 2 Coors Lite, and 1 Bud Lite though.

If you find yourself drinking at a bar with an open tab, and you approach 5 beers, tell your bartender you want a bucket. They will not volunteer this for you. They will gladly charge you for 5 beers without giving you your 6th for free.

If you become a regular at a bar and you have a couple of beers and want to leave, tell the bartender you will pay for a bucket and tell him you will return to the bar later to finish your beers. They will keep track of this for you, but will not offer to do it voluntarily. (Which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine ... we treat the bartenders very well, and it irks me that we always have to specify to charge us for a bucket. Even if you wind up drinking 6 beers but do not specify "bucket," they will charge you for all 6. On Disney, they volunteer this for you and keep track of it without you having to ask. In fact, if my hubby has 2 beers before dinner somewhere on Disney, and they know he is coming back, they won't even charge him before dinner and just charge him when he finishes his bucket. HAL doesn't do any of this.)

Alternatively, you can just ask for a bucket up front. They do not care how many share a bucket. Your beers will come on ice. If you don't finish your beers straight away, simply ask for them to re-ice your beers and take the remainder back to your cabin.

I know you can order a bucket of beer from room service as well.

As for the wine cards, I never use them as they are only for house pours. But I think the glass of wine works out to be $3.95 per glass or something like that.

The bucket of beers are sold on the ships -- look for the specials.

Wine cards -- under "For Booked Guests" -- may need your confirmation / booking number to see the prices -- if they are still available. They are slowing being phased out on the ships.

You can also pre-order the 'bucket' of beer through the Booked Guests, Gifts. I did that last month on the Amsterdam for hubby.

I was disappointed though that it was not iced and not set in any kind of container that would hold ice. There were simply 6 cans sitting on the counter when we first entered our cabin, so the first thing we did was put one in the container of ice.

Luckily our cabin, a balcony, was one that had a refrigerator mini-bar so we were able to put the other 5 in there to get colder.

The ones I saw on the ship were in a metal bucket of ice, and that's what I'd expected ours to be. But it wasn't.

At the bars, you get 5 beer for the price of 4. If you order from room service, it is a better deal, with a 6th beer.

We always order a bucket in the cabin from room service. It is delivered in a plastic bucket of ice. We also have our ice bucket in the room filled with ice regularly by our room steward. So we put 2 or 3 beer in the ice bucket, and take the rest with us to the deck to enjoy while we lounge by the pool.

The stewards will keep your buckets, etc. filled with fresh ice if you ask them. It sure is a lot more economical than buying them 1 at a time at the bar!

The wine cards are available at a table set up at the pool during embarkation. The wine stewards are there and give you all the info you need about them. We don't buy them as we drink very little wine, but we know many fellow cruisers who do, and feel they get value for their dollar.

Enjoy your cruise - I can't wait until March when we will be on the seas again. It is truly a great place to be when you leave the driving to HAL - they make great designated drivers! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived