Need Passport at Ports?

If your cruising often or live in a border state, why not get the passport card too? The passport card is good for border states, cuises into carribean/MX/CAN. Its the same size as you DL and plastic, so it's hard to ruin. Bring both onto the cruise, leave paper passport in safe and bring card into port.

I just renewed my passport and got the card also for an extra $20 bucks. However, fees just increased so it might be a little more.

Because you still can't fly home on a passport card and the passport in the safe isn't doing you any good if it's not in your hand.

LemurCat....

My DH and I couldn't agree with you more. You said it perfectly! I was talking about this on another thread and we always have our passports on our person whenever we step onto foreign soil.....always!!

If we are going to be in the water while at a port, one of us, or one of our group, stays with everything that we have all brought with us, we put things in plastic bags just to keep them as sand free as possible, and it works great!

Just a suggestion.....but to each his own:D

You basically need the passport to get back into the U S to prove your a citizen. I allways put mine in the safe as soon as I get aboard and leave it there unless it is needed on the excursion for some reason. I take my DL to use to get back aboard the ship. Most ships now require you to show a photo id and your S & S to get thru port security and back onto the ship. It is alot easier to replace your DL than a passport.

I don't worry about needing it to fly home because I don't worry about missing the ship.

Archived