"must buy" in ports

Has anyone seen a rosary made out of Murano glass? I'm on a mission to get a rosary for my MIL and I'm sure she'd love that combination.

I know I saw some at Murano Island in Venice. You really should spend some time walking around the stores on the island. I was able to get some really good deal on Murano pieces from Murano Island.

What a wonderful thread! Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions. There are many I will be looking for on our cruise this Oct. from Venice to Rome. While we will be hitting some of the many ports mentioned already in this thread, we are also stopping at ports that have not yet been mentioned and so I am wondering if there are Must-Have items from these spots:

- Hvar, Croatia

- Bari, Italy

- Taormina, Sicily

- Lipari, Sicily

As to what we usually look for to bring back from our journeys, we are great collectors of Christmas ornaments and have begun to pick up fridge magnets also (we started this to give to my mom-in-law for her collection, but I have noticed that those from our last few trips have ended up on our fridge rather than hers - it's hard for me to believe, but my DH really likes those magnets! :) ). I also keep an eye out for bowls (I just love cute small bowls especially, and that are typical of a place), glassware (we have champagne flutes, wine glasses, water glasses, a shot glass or two (LOVE the idea of the Murano shot glass!), etc. etc.), silver charms (although after my fifth bracelet, I have pretty much stopped actively looking for these - tho if one jumps out at me and I love it I will get it), and dolls (this was started for me by my father 50 years ago, he would bring a doll home from his business trips to foreign locales, and they are very special to me - as I have begun to buy dolls for myself, I look for those that are handmade or at least not the plastic touristy mass-produced types, and that reflect the dress or something else unique about the place where it comes from). Oh, yes, and yarn for knitting!!

• 2 weeks later...

This fall we'll be in:

Barcelona

Villefranche

Livorno

Rome

Naples/Sorrento

Athens

Istanbul

Mykonos

Split

Venice

I love antique/unusual jewelry. Are any of the above ports notable for estate or consignment jewerly shops? I'll be traveling with my loupe and know my way around gemstones.

Also, I like the suggestions about wine and oils but with the 3-oz liquid container size for carryon in the US, how could this be managed now?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
All of your suggestions over the years, that this has been underway, was alot of fun to review and ponder! So many suggestions and great ideas on even reminding me to for example put ziplocks or bubble wrap in my suitcase.. Never would have thought of that!!! Anyway, doing the West Med Cruise, and have a passion for

Sunflowers:) ... and Bumble Bees:rolleyes: of all things...

I'm thinking Tuscany... do any of you recall some beatiful products with those.... That is like my kitchen motiff...Love those bright bold colors .....

Keep it going and I would love to hear more...

Pat

Pat, We were just in Tuscany last fall and I don't remember seeing them there. We did see them - mostly on tableclothes and other linens - all over S. France in Provence. Really beautiful stuff!

Bumble Bees are big in paris, but not in Tuscany. I don't know if you are going to be in any of the markets...however last year in Nice, there were table cloths with BOTH sunflowers and Bees. Happy Hunting!

This fall we'll be in:

Barcelona

Villefranche

Livorno

Rome

Naples/Sorrento

Athens

Istanbul

Mykonos

Split

Venice

I love antique/unusual jewelry. Are any of the above ports notable for estate or consignment jewerly shops? I'll be traveling with my loupe and know my way around gemstones.

Also, I like the suggestions about wine and oils but with the 3-oz liquid container size for carryon in the US, how could this be managed now?

Thanks

In istanbul, in the garnd bazaar, I saw some antique jewelry. HOWEVER I would be very careful. I did not think these were reliable dealers. It is very honky tonk. I come from NYC and am leery of all LOL!

Karen

Archived