Grand Bahama Island

wardnlis

We'll be taking our first cruise on the VOS 9/23/05. I've found a lot of helpful onfo on the ships and shore excursion, but haven't seen much on the Grand Bahama Island which is our last stop before heading back to NJ. It will be me and my husband and my sister and her husband, we're all in our 20's and very active, but don't mind a relaxing day at a nice beach either. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do there or shore excurrsions other than through RC? :)

There's a good reason you're not finding anything on Grand Bahama. Personally, I think Freeport sucks and they could just leave it off. There are a few that like it, not many.:cool:

May I suggest Port Lucaya (shopping) or going snorkeling or something??? Check the shore excursions. There is NOTHING to do at the port where the ship comes in. It's a very industrial area with a big cement factory. You'll need to line something up. It's about a 20-45 minute taxi ride (depending on where you go) to get anywhere close to civilization out there, so be prepared to do some traveling.

Sorry to sound so negative, hope it helps.

You choices are shopping, beach, diving, snorkeling or dolphin encounter. There are a few small shops at the port, but most of the shopping is at Port Lucaya (where there is a beach as well). I have some photos of Grand Bahama Island on my website if you want to take a look. It is at http://www.pbase.com/2112 and I put the Bahamas in my Caribbean gallery (even though it is not really in the Caribbean).

Thanks for your help and the pictures. We'll definitely plan something before we go. Did you think the dolphin encounter was worth the $$? We were considering doing the one in Jamaica, seemed like it was a better price! But there were some other things we were thing about in Jamaica, like horseback riding! Any suggestions?

3 of the 4 of us thought that the dolphin encounter was worth it. The 4th was disappointed. It is not a dolphin swim though - you get in the water and will get maybe 6 minutes or so touching the dolphin. They also have the dolphin do some jumps and other tricks. I think that they treat their solphins better there than most places as they even allow the dolphins out to the ocean in the evening, so the fact that they come back tells you something. In Jamaica there are lots of options as to things to do so it might be better to go this in Grand Bahama.

Jamacia has so many great options!!! We climbed the falls and went snorkeling there in April. We toured the Mayan Ruins on horseback in Cozumel. That was really nice and well worth the money. Definately plan to do something in Freeport, and plan to be let down. I'm pretty sure if put to a poll, it would be voted worst stop. ~ :cool:

Thanks, I'll talk to the rest of our group and let them know what I found out! Did you book Dunn's river falls and snorkleing through RC or through a private tour group? I've read good and bad about both! Thanks again.:)

Thanks, I'll talk to the rest of our group and let them know what I found out! Did you book Dunn's river falls and snorkleing through RC or through a private tour group? I've read good and bad about both! Thanks again.:)

We booked through the cruise line. It was a combo deal thing. You snorkel, ride the catamaran, climb the Falls, have rum... all for one price. It was great. If I were to go back and JUST do the falls, I would do it on my own or private tour.

It was great!!:D

Thanks for the advice, I just had a question about what you do with your stuff while you snorkle or climb the falls? Camera and dry clothes?? Also we want to go on the waverunners in Labadee, will there be some place safe to let our stuff sit? We are use to going to the beach on the east coast and it's fairly safe to let some stuff sit while you go for a walk or go into the ocean! Thanks

We'll be taking our first cruise on the VOS 9/23/05. I've found a lot of helpful onfo on the ships and shore excursion, but haven't seen much on the Grand Bahama Island which is our last stop before heading back to NJ. It will be me and my husband and my sister and her husband, we're all in our 20's and very active, but don't mind a relaxing day at a nice beach either. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do there or shore excurrsions other than through RC? :)

Hello, the details of the shore excursions are on the www.rccl.com website, click onto voyages and pricing and click the ship and date you want then it will bring up the page for shore excursions& pre and post cruises. This site had more information and was really helpful.

have fun sailing!

Thanks for the advice, I just had a question about what you do with your stuff while you snorkle or climb the falls? Camera and dry clothes?? Also we want to go on the waverunners in Labadee, will there be some place safe to let our stuff sit? We are use to going to the beach on the east coast and it's fairly safe to let some stuff sit while you go for a walk or go into the ocean! Thanks

Get a water wallet to hang around your neck. Don't try to carry anything with you up the falls (except maybe a waterproof camera). The falls are very strong. You will get soaking wet. Loose items will be lost, glasses, water shoes, etc. Don't carry anything you don't need. We left our clothes on the catamaran while we snorkeled and climbed the falls - nothing of value.

I meant the pictures of Dunn's falls! All your pictures are really good though! I'm just concerned about taking a good camera with me, and were to feep it while on the beach, snorkeling, or climbing the falls. I'm really in to photography, and I didn't want to rely on a disposable camera. Thanks!!

I meant the pictures of Dunn's falls! All your pictures are really good though! I'm just concerned about taking a good camera with me, and were to feep it while on the beach, snorkeling, or climbing the falls. I'm really in to photography, and I didn't want to rely on a disposable camera. Thanks!!

At Dunn's River Falls, there are lockers at the top. I put my good camera in the locker and then climbed the falls. When I got to the top, I then went and got my camera and took the photos you see from the steps along the side of the falls. This way I didn't have to worry about my camera getting wet. I also took a disposable camera along during the climb, but to be honest I don't remember developing those photos. Funny, I must have - but they are not the ones that are on my website. Have fun at Dunn's. One big tip - don't follow the exit signs out. You go through a market with really aggressive sellers. Instead, go out the way you came in. Trust me on this!

Everything you take will get soaking wet!!! The pictures are misleading in that there are times when you are literally climbing UP THE FALL - with tons of water rushing over you. It is very slippery and tretcherous. The water was so powerful, it took the water shoe right off of the guy in front of me. Mine came off too, but my husband reached down and grabbed it before it went sailing into the ocean. The guy in front of me was not so lucky. A waterproof camera has a band around it for your wrist. If you loose it (down the falls), you only lost a roll of film, not your good camera. Trust us!!!;)

Thanks so much! Everyone has been so helpful! It's nice to have someone to ask and thanks for the tip about leaving to avoid the market!! One more question if anyone can help, I had previosly asked about the bahamas, When I look at shore excursions on the RC website they list 10 or more things, but when I go in to purchase the only thing there are two different dolphin experiences. Will this change as we get closer to our sailing date? It seemed strange because the rest of the ports have all the excursions listed to purchase! Thanks again!!

The first list contains all of the options available for RCCL passengers. The shorter list are the ones available for the specific time frame you will be there. Some tours are seasonal, some require early or late hours, some may became available as you get closer to your sail date.

If you call RCCL directly, they can give you more information about tours that don't have signed contracts yet. We had to wait for some of ours to come available. They have a special desk just for Shore Excursions they can transfer you to.:)

Archived