NCL Cruise Fashion Questions

Soxfan05

Hi Everyone,

I posted a while back I was planning a 50th anniversary cruise for my inlaws. After lots of back and forth we have gone from a short cruise out of Florida July 2011 to the Norwegian Dawn 7 day to Bermuda.

Have any of you taken the Boston to Bermuda and if so what did you see in regard to dress? What did you think of the "dress up if you want nights?" I'm assuming tuxes and gowns are too much but would cocktail dress and suit still be overkill? We have cruisers from all over the country (29 at last count) and age ranges from an infant to 8 teens to adults in their 70's so luggage constraints, clothing expenses etc. are considerations.

I have done Boston to Bermuda a couple of times on NCL.....And to answer your questions, I have seen both ends of the spectrum.....Very formal and very casual on the same night...

I think what you mentioned would be fine and if anyone in your party wants to bring along a tux or gown, that would be fine too....Great reason to celebrate and to get really nice pics of all your friends and family : )

on a sidenote: Leaving out of Boston is one of the easiest ports...esp. for parking..

Have a great cruise which ever you decide : )

Hi Everyone,

I posted a while back I was planning a 50th anniversary cruise for my inlaws. After lots of back and forth we have gone from a short cruise out of Florida July 2011 to the Norwegian Dawn 7 day to Bermuda.

Have any of you taken the Boston to Bermuda and if so what did you see in regard to dress? What did you think of the "dress up if you want nights?" I'm assuming tuxes and gowns are too much but would cocktail dress and suit still be overkill? We have cruisers from all over the country (29 at last count) and age ranges from an infant to 8 teens to adults in their 70's so luggage constraints, clothing expenses etc. are considerations.

Hi - I took this cruise in 2007. I wore a sleeveless cocktail dress and my husband looked spiffy in a navy suit in the dining room. We felt appropriately dressed. There was, as you expected a wide range of formality, with a slim majority dressed like us, only a few wearing more formal clothes, and fewer still looking very casual with pullover sweaters paired with casual pants. I do not recall if anyone was wearing jeans, if so, I guess I did not notice! ;) If we were to do it again, I believe a sportcoat and collared shirt would be the mininally "acceptable" choice for a man, and a dressy pantsuit, skirt and nice top, or simple dress for a woman. We found a wonderful mix of ages at dinner, and all our tablemates were pleasant company. A fun cruise! The best part will be - everyone getting together to celebrate! How special! Obviously, your fondest memories will be with them and not with what eveyone wore to dinner! Hope you enjoy it!

Hi Everyone,

We've done Phila. to Bermuda a number of times on NCL.

I can barely count or even remember seeing any tuxes. I DO remember one gentleman in a tux but then he and his wife dressed formally on EVERY night.:) Cocktail dresses and suits will not be overkill.

One thing I did notice is many of the woman had on cocktail dresses but the husbands did not "match" in that they were dressed much more casually and did not even wear a sportscoat. I guess the wives wanted to gussy up and the husbands didn't.;)

However dressy you want to dress....go for it. If the men don't want to wear a suit or even a sports coat, and they think wearing a tie with their shirt makes it dressier, they just end up looking like the produce manager at a grocery store.:D

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was even thinking tan pants and navy blazers for my boys. I usually have those in the closet for "just in case" for my boys as where we live, that's about as formal as events get.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was even thinking tan pants and navy blazers for my boys. I usually have those in the closet for "just in case" for my boys as where we live, that's about as formal as events get.

PERFECT.....they will look smashing.:)

While I haven't done this itinerary, the TA we did on Norwegian had a very wide variety of dress on the 'dress up or not night', most tending toward cocktail wear, some just regular casual night clothes and some dressed very, very formally (this was the smallest percentage though.)

In fact, I saw the most formal gown I have ever seen on any cruise on this ship--it was a stunning bronze satin gown with a very full skirt and hoop. The husband was in full dress kilt. They looked amazing--and were in their twenties.

We also saw someone turned away from the dining room when wearing jeans--I've never seen on any one turned away on any other ship either. (One of the dining rooms was a no-jeans zone at night.)

Archived