making the change

awdl2000

hi everyone

i am thinking of making a cruise line jump. forthe last 5 years i have been very partial to royal carribean (i know, say it). i am ready for a change. i am thinking of taking the glory in oct of this year. i have a few questions:

are the staterooms really larger? is the food really better? how is the nightlife? what is the cost of the average mixed dring? and how is the specialty dining? please convince me i need your support. i was not impressed with my last cruise with rccl, and i really want to switch.

thanks

audra

Yes, comparable staterooms on Carnival are bigger than those on Royal Caribbean. The food is usually pretty darn good on either line, but I'm not picky. Nightlife, what I've seen of it, is hopping. I don't remember the average cost of drinks. I never look! ;) Now I personally love the specialty restaurants. I've tried them twice on two different ships and they are definitely worth the time and extra charge. Yummmmmmm!

Audra, I have only been on Carnival, so I can't help you there! But I LOVE Carnival! I just wanted to welcome you over here and I hope you find all the answers you are looking for! I hope you have a fabulous time no matter what you decide!!!

Domestics---$3.25

Imported---$3.75

NonAlc---$3.25

Cordials and Liqueurs---$4.50

Hot drinks---$1.00-4.50

Water (bottled)—$1.95—$3.25 (the shipboard water is fine)

Soft Drinks (without kid drink card) Glass, $1.00—Can, $1.50

Champagnes and Wines---$4.75-$7.50 a glass

Cognacs/Brandies--$4.25--$11.00 a glass

Carnival’s daily Specialty drinks--$6.25 in plastic souvenir glass.

$4.25 in a regular glass

Cocktail drinks--$3.95

Alcohol Malt Drinks--$4.75

Frozen Exotic Drinks--$4.95

Smoothies--$3.95

Scotches--$3.95--$5.50

Single Malts--$5.75-$8.25

Bourbon/Blends--$4.25--$5.75

Vodkas--$4.25-$5.50

Martinis--$5.50--$7.50

Rums--$3.95--$5.50

Gins--$3.95--$5.50

Tequilas--$4.25-$5.50

We've sailed RCCL on the Navigator and the Mariner. We've also sailed the Carnival Glory and just got off the Carnival Legend this week. We've enjoyed each one of our cruises and like a lot about both lines.

We book balcony rooms, and the rooms we've had on the CCL and RCL have been about the same size, so it's a toss up there.

Food is kind of subjective. Both lines have food better than I eat on a regular basis, but overall I would give a bit of an edge to Carnival.

We do like the nightlife better on Carnival. In our experience, they usually have more late night adult comedy and the clubs seem to be more active later.

We've only done the specialty dining on Carnival, but will be doing it on our next cruise on the Navigator. I can tell you that the specialty dining we had was superb.

I've been on both and I can say a change is always good!!! IMO food close to the same, entertainment "shows" was good on both, nightlife much much more active on CCL we missed this on our RCCL cruise, Room service much more to choose from on RCCL especially for breakfast. I can't say much on the cabins we had a handicapped cabin on RCCL which was large. Drinks IMO were better on CCL or should I say stronger!

hi everyone

i am thinking of making a cruise line jump. forthe last 5 years i have been very partial to royal carribean (i know, say it). i am ready for a change. i am thinking of taking the glory in oct of this year. i have a few questions:

are the staterooms really larger? is the food really better? how is the nightlife? what is the cost of the average mixed dring? and how is the specialty dining? please convince me i need your support. i was not impressed with my last cruise with rccl, and i really want to switch.

thanks

audra

Hi Audra,

I have done both cruise lines,mostly CCL but I prefer RCL better.(Voyager class ships)

The rooms are bigger on CCL

Food is the same IMHO

I thought the dancing/disco was better on RCL,but late night shows are better on CCL.Showroom shows were the same.The big difference in RCL Voyager class ships was the ice shows and sports activities such as rock climbing,mini golf,basketball,dodgeball,ect.

The drinks cost the same

I never specialty dine.

Steve

Hi Audra -

I have been on Royal once and Carnival three times, and I have to say that I think Carnival is WAY better than Royal.

When we were on our 3 day Royal cruise out of L.A., the crew across the board were outright rude and condescending. One day our room didn't get cleaned until we went and found our Cabin Steward to ask for it to be cleaned. In fact the crew was so amazingly bad I don't think we tipped anyone and filled out the customer survey card to voice our complaints - which we never got a response to.

The day were were at sea, they decided to repaint all the railings on the ship, making it so you couldn't even stand at the rail and look out at sea (unless of course you love the smell of varnish).

On all three Carnival cruises I have been on, the crew has been fantastic, the food is good and there are always things to do.

When we booked our cruise for April, we considered Royal (as it was less expensive) but our experience was so bad, I just couldn't do it.

I say make the switch!

I've been on both and I can say a change is always good!!! IMO food close to the same, entertainment "shows" was good on both, nightlife much much more active on CCL we missed this on our RCCL cruise, Room service much more to choose from on RCCL especially for breakfast. I can't say much on the cabins we had a handicapped cabin on RCCL which was large. Drinks IMO were better on CCL or should I say stronger!

I have to agree on the room service issue. Please be prepared that on Carnival you will have a much much more limited selection than you did on RCCL's room service menu.

Rooms- Comprable rooms (inside, outside, balcony) are larger on Carnival, however, RCCL has rooms such as the Royal suite that a much larger than anything CCL offers. The cat. 12's just don't compare. Hence the reason my family has 2 rooms on Carnival and only 1 on RCCL.

Food- I havent been on Carnival in 5 years (will be on it again in 3 weeks yay!), but I always remember it being pretty good. Quality was about the same, however, I tended to like to selections offered more on Carnival. There were some nights on RCCL when nothing really screamed "TRY ME", which I'd never experienced before, or since.

Nightlife- Shows are pretty even in my book. As far as late-night goes, it depends what you're looking for. CCL is no longer the drunken party line it used to be, but that being said, their late-night atomosphere is geared to a more young/active crowd than RCCL. I think the dancing, however was better on RCCL.

hi everyone

thanks

audra

Audra:

Welcome aboard the Carnival board! :)

thanks everyone,

all i can say is thank god for cruise critic. everyone is so nice, on every board and when you have a question some one always has an answer! i just got married on the mariner (voyager class) and yes it is big but i did not use the rock wall or the sports deck, so i wont miss those. i am intrested in good drinks, longe chairs, shows, and a good meal. i think that i will be happy on any cruise ship as long as i dont have to paddle! i am going to call my ta today to get some pricing. so you guys will be seeing much more of me on the carnival boards. do they have a members program, like the crown and ancor with rccl? see you on the GLORY!!!

audra

Archived