Honolulu Airport to Waikiki Beach Hotel

margord

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to get from the airport in Honolulu to the hotels in Waikiki Beach area. Taxi, shuttle, etc.??? Also, any tips for transportation from the hotel to port and then from the port to airport?

As long as I am asking any ideas on transportion on Maui from the airport to the hotel?

Any information or tips would be appreciated.

Marilee

At Honolulu airport, go out the doors right by baggage claims. You will see people advertising shuttles. Pick one. It will be $6 to $8 dollars per person to any hotel on Waikiki. We had nine people at the Hale Koa on Waikiki. We took two taxis to the port and each was a $14 fare per taxi load.. There will be tons of transportation at the port to get you to the airport. Just ask the ship's rep standing at the door for the best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though the shuttle prices are very reasonable, it appears to me that I can save a few bucks and have the additional flexibility if I rent a car for the three of us instead. From what I've read on other threads, it looks like I can rent a car at the airport, drop it off in Waikiki, and then catch a free rental car shuttle from the Waikiki drop off point to the pier. When we return from the cruise, I'd do just the opposite: catch a shuttle to the Waikiki rental car office and then drop the car off at the airport the next day when we fly out.

Has anyone every gone this route, or do you know of some problem I might encounter doing this? What if I book through Priceline? I don't expect that there would be a problem on the front part, but I'm not sure that I could book through Priceline and then expect to be able to pick up the car off-airport in Waikiki.

Doemeister,

Although I cannot give you advise. I think it sounds like a great plan. The only reason we are not doing that is because we do not plan on using the car the first day there and it cost $15 to park it at our hotel. So the cost of the car for an extra day and the parking is so much higher then grabbing a shuttle.

Marilee

Not all rental car companies will let you rent at the airport and drop off in Waikiki - best to make sure with your rental car company of choice that there would be no additional drop-off charges for this. And Marilee's point about parking prices in Waikiki is a good one - it tends to be pretty pricey. Not NYC level pricey but still pretty pricey.

Spleen

We used National in Nov, picking the car up at their Ala Moana Blvd office and dropping it off a week later at the airport. There was no drop off fee, BUT they did not have a shuttle to the pier. We used theBus. Alamo does have a shuttle to/from the pier to their Ilikai office, but last I checked they had a dropoff fee of about $30.

Archived