Driving from Tampa to Pt. Everglades

NEW YORK LADY2

My daughter-in-law, who lives north of Tampa, is joining me for a cruise in Feb 2012 and although she will drive to my home south of Orlando and we will go from there to Pt. Everglades we would both like to head to her house the day we return from the cruise (it's my son's 40th birthday and my husband would meet us at her house). Does anyone know the best way to go. Help getting us to I-4 and Rt. 75 from Pt. Everglades would be great. Also, how long do you think the drive would take to that point?

Thanks for any help you can give. I, and another DIL, are treating her to this cruise for beating colon cancer.

Thanks,

Jackie

From the port you just head West onto 595, bear right for the turnpike about a mile or two away. Go North on the turnpike from there to Orlando/I-4. Then I-4 West to Tampa - figure 4.5 - 5 hours depending upon how many stops you make and how fast you drive.;) Good luck!:)

From the port you just head West onto 595, bear right for the turnpike about a mile or two away. :)

I think you have given the OP directions to I-95. To get to the Turnpike, the OP will, indeed, head west on 595, but the exit for the Turnpike is more than a mile or two away. It's more like 3 or 4 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in North Tampa and cruised out of Port Everglades. We went down the turnpike and back I-75 (through Alligator Alley). If I were doing it again, I'd take the turnpike back as well. The long drive through alligator alley is very desolate. I thought the turnpike was better.

That being said, it's really easy to get on I-75. You take Eller dr (near one of the ports, don't know which you are cruising out of) then get on I-595 (really easy as there are signs and the street kind of becomes it). About 10 miles out you take the I-75 exit. Stay on I-75 until you get to Tampa.

JA

Archived