itenerary ideas - belize, cozumel, costa maya

lreeser

I'm trying to decide which is the best place for snorkling and which is the best place for Mayan ruins. We are traveling on the Carnival Dream on the August 7th sailing. We have three teenage kids and would prefer not to spend hours on buses.

Should we do Altun Ha & River Wallace in Belize or Chacchoben in Costa Maya?

Should we do the Three Reef snorkeling in Cozumel or the Beach Snorkel Adventure in Costa Maya?

I tend to get a little seasick, so the calmer the water, the better. I know this is mostly a factor of the weather, but location can also affect the level of waves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Altun Ha River Wallace, because you are on a boat part of the way and you can climb around on the ruins. But it is a long tour and may not leave enough time ot do other things. Chacchoben via Native Choice is a very interesting tour as your hosts are very knowledgable and friendly. But it is a long bus ride and I believe all Mexican sites are off limits to climb on temples.

Hard to say in August how calm the water will be for snorkeling, but I suggest you look at going to the Money Bar (Dzul HA) in Cozumel and snorkel from the beach versus paying for a boat to take you there. Short cab ride. http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

Then if the water is a bit too rough, you at least have the beach and food and drink at hand. Beach snorkel in CM could have calm waters but less fish and reef not quite as good. Beach is isolated though and very peaceful, as its north of the piera few kilometers.

• 2 months later...

I have also debated the same thing as we are going to these ports in Jan/Feb on Liberty of the seas.

I believe at this point we will do altun ha (probably private company dont really want long boat ride that is included in RC tour) and then just go to Mahahual in Costa Maya. Walk the "boardwalk" visit shops, eat and enjoy the beach. Havent really decided about cozumel yet.

It doesnt seem like there is alot to do in belize so I figured ruins would be best option there. I really had my heart set on lamanai too. Until I saw altun Ha pictures. Looks just as grand.

Archived