Oosterdam VE 5113

mexico5

Hi, newbie to HAL here, my TA just told me that VE 5113 was available and was wondering if anyone had any info on this cabin. Hard to tell on the website drawing...I need a magnifying glass or something!

This is deck 5 right? I believe there are cabins below and above so I usually find that to be a good thing (no noise from tables, etc...) and as discussed earlier it would be a covered balcony right? Also, is this deck high enough to see things? I am used to Emerald Deck (deck 7 I think) on Princess or deck 9 on NCL so just making sure I'm not in the basement!

Oops, one more thing, do you think it is worth it to go to a higher cat like "Superior Verandah" instead? I note it is a little bigger, with whirlpool tub, etc...

Thanks!!

I am going to be a wet blanket and recommend *against* the VE cabins on Verandah deck.

These may be midship, but the balconies are far too shallow IMO. Standard HAL balconies are 6 feet deep, which is fine for a couple chairs and a table. VE's are 4.5 feet deep, and those 18 inches make a huge difference (the balcony is 9 feet wide).

Ask your TA if there are any VD available on Upper Promenade deck (deck 4). These cabins have *deeper* balconies than normal - 7.5 feet deep.

Not only will the balcony be 3 feet deeper than a VE...the cabin should be a few bucks cheaper, since it's a lower deck/category. :) Otherwise, the cabins are identical.

SZ, SY, SS cabins are wonderful for the extra space, and the extra shower stall in addition to the tub in the bathroom. Worth it? Depends if you want to save the difference to spend somewhere else. I travel 3 adults to a cabin, and want more space, and prefer the SC, SB and SA suites....but they cost A LOT more.

Thanks for your help! I am having her price out the Superior ones so I will know soon enough how much extra they are.

The balcony on deck 4 sounds great, although we are used to being on a higher deck. I am also checking into decks 6 and 7 to see how much those balcony cabins are...midship to aft.

Those codes you used starting with an S...what cabins are those? Do you mean the Superior category?

Thanks again!

Have it narrowed down...my TA will do a hold for 48 hours for me.

VB (aft) is $136. more than the VE. VA is $159. more than the VE (5113). SY is $182. more than the VE. This is per person. So I am trying to figure things out. I like the idea of deck 6 or 7. The SY(aft) sounds good too but have to wonder if the extra $364. could be used towards our airfare!

... any VD available on Upper Promenade deck (deck 4). These cabins have *deeper* balconies than normal - 7.5 feet deep.

Not only will the balcony be 3 feet deeper than a VE...the cabin should be a few bucks cheaper, since it's a lower deck/category.

Sorry, Pat ... the VDs are on a lower deck, but cost more than VEs.

Those codes you used starting with an S...what cabins are those? Do you mean the Superior category?
Yes, the SS/SY/SZ are the Superiors.

Yes, SZ, SY, and SS are all superior verandah cabin designations. Basically the same cabin, but different locations.

The midship cabins on deck 6 are the SY cabins. Aft deck 6 are full suites (SC) on the corners with wrap around balconies, and two deluxe verandah cabins, category VA, in the middle. Those VA cabins have extra deep balconies.

Deck 7 midship cabins are full suites (SA). Aft deck 7 has more suites on the corners (SB), and 6 more VA across the middle of the stern, extra deep balconies.

Joanie has taken on the thankless job of compiling pictures of cabins.

Here's Joanie's website page for Oosterdam:

http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/index.html

If you scroll down, you'll see pictures of aft facing VA cabin 4174, the corner wrap SC's on deck 4, superior verandah SY6100 and 6113, the aft corner wrap suite 7142 and 7151.

(John - thanks for pointing out the VD's are more than the VE's. Of course they are - D is higher in the alphabet than E. My brain must be fast asleep, even though I'm still posting!)

Thanks so much for the great link to all of the photos!

One question, I read on the link by a cruise critic member that she hated that you could not turn off the air conditioning. What does that mean? You mean you can't control the room temperature in your cabin? I hate air conditioning and never use it so just checking on this!

One question, I read on the link by a cruise critic member that she hated that you could not turn off the air conditioning. What does that mean? You mean you can't control the room temperature in your cabin? I hate air conditioning and never use it so just checking on this!
On the Vista ships at least (I don't remember on others) you can't shut off the HVAC blower, but you can adjust the temperature. Even if you turn the temp up, the air still blows.

We bring along a bit of tape (masking, Scotch) and use some of the junk paper to make a sort of baffle so that at least it isn't blowing at our heads all night.

Have it narrowed down...my TA will do a hold for 48 hours for me.

VB (aft) is $136. more than the VE. VA is $159. more than the VE (5113). SY is $182. more than the VE. This is per person. So I am trying to figure things out. I like the idea of deck 6 or 7. The SY(aft) sounds good too but have to wonder if the extra $364. could be used towards our airfare!

on our cruise VF to SY was ~$650 more pp-- so saving $1300 made it an easy choice for us. If $360 is within your budget the SY sounds great!

If it were me, I'd book the SY.

A reason not to book it:

you'll then be "spoiled" for anything less.

A reason to book it:

those in superior suites are the ones who get upsell calls (pay to upgrade) to a full suite. Some of those offers aren't worth it. Anything in the $99 - $199 pp range is a bargain, IMO. But then....you'd REALLY be spoiled.

Hi, that's we are thinking too! Seems like the price difference isn't a whole lot for more space, etc...

Thanks jtl for the air conditioning tip. I have to say this is kind of a worry for me. I would be constantly sneezing 24/7 I think, if there was constant air blowing in the cabin...I might have to ask this on a separate thread just to make sure I have it straight in my head (literally!) what it is really like in the cabins.

Thanks again!

Archived