The Cruise Ship Norwalk Myths Dispelled and Other Useful Information - From the CDC!

Reltco

OK people, I had it with all the horror stories of this Norwalk thing, so I went to the source. Here's a link to the Center for Disease Control's web page on cruise ships - yes they dedicated an entire section to cruise ships! There is a ton of information in here on the Norwalk virus itself, how cruise ships rate on sanitation scores (scale of 0-100), cruising tips, hand washing tips and so on. Read it and be informed for happier cruising! :D

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/default.htm

Sorry, I'm missing how this makes for happier cruising. Norovirus is highly contagious and, according to the link, one reason it's associated with cruise ships is close living quarters. In other words, according to the CDC itself, one problem is apparently thousands of people in the relatively confined space of a cruise ship.

RCCL and the other cruise lines can say all they want about it's not their fault -- that it happens in hospitals, day cares, etc., also. All I can say is I don't care about fault. What I care about is that a vacation costs me alot of money. We cruised with RCCI last fall with a family group of 10 and it cost me over $12,000 with cruise fare, airfare and on board purchases.

I don't spend my precious vacation dollars for a stay in a hospital, school or day care, so I consider norovirus outbreaks in those settings to be irrelevant to my vacation decision.

If I'm going to spend my precious vacation dollars on a cruise ship vacation, then the cruise lines had better be taking care of the norovirus problem by making sure their sanitation is so incredibly excellent that outbreaks don't occur, by dry docking their ships during norovirus season or by compensating everyone on board.

Otherwise, I'm going to choose to spend my vacation dollars for resort vacations on land where the living quarters aren't so close.

Norovirus may not be the cruise lines' fault, but the cruise lines are going to have to figure out a solution. Why would anyone take the risk with their hard-earned vacation dollars only to have a cruise experience like the ones people have described on these boards?

The virus is in resorts as well, it just went through the Tropicana and a few other resorts it Vegas so it really doesnt matter where you are, if your going to get sick your going to get sick weather your home or on vacation.....It was also on a couple resorts in the Dominican Republic as well.

Sorry, I'm missing how this makes for happier cruising. Norovirus is highly contagious and, according to the link, one reason it's associated with cruise ships is close living quarters. In other words, according to the CDC itself, one problem is apparently thousands of people in the relatively confined space of a cruise ship.

RCCL and the other cruise lines can say all they want about it's not their fault -- that it happens in hospitals, day cares, etc., also. All I can say is I don't care about fault. What I care about is that a vacation costs me alot of money. We cruised with RCCI last fall with a family group of 10 and it cost me over $12,000 with cruise fare, airfare and on board purchases.

I don't spend my precious vacation dollars for a stay in a hospital, school or day care, so I consider norovirus outbreaks in those settings to be irrelevant to my vacation decision.

If I'm going to spend my precious vacation dollars on a cruise ship vacation, then the cruise lines had better be taking care of the norovirus problem by making sure their sanitation is so incredibly excellent that outbreaks don't occur, by dry docking their ships during norovirus season or by compensating everyone on board.

Otherwise, I'm going to choose to spend my vacation dollars for resort vacations on land where the living quarters aren't so close.

Norovirus may not be the cruise lines' fault, but the cruise lines are going to have to figure out a solution. Why would anyone take the risk with their hard-earned vacation dollars only to have a cruise experience like the ones people have described on these boards?

You seem to be ignoring the people who have posted here that they 1) managed to have a good vacation anyway and 2) did not experience the catastrophic sights that others had witnessed and 3) did not get sic. During my trip on the Enchantment (two weeks after a norovirus outbreak) the crew bent over backwards to make sure that surfaces were wiped down and everyone was washing their hands. Getting sick happens in land resorts/hotels as well. Remember Legionnaire's Disease? Airplanes have awfully close quarters, too. Did that make you choose not to spend your precious vacation dollars on hotels? Have you boycotted the airlines? :rolleyes:

The cruise lines do clean and sanatize and do everything that they can to prevent and halt the spread of these viruses. Unfortunatly the passengers sometimes don't coaporate.

They walk around the ship, go to the buffet and play the video games when they are sick. Instead of staying in their cabin till they are better they walk around and sneeze and cough all over everything. Then the passengers that are well come along behind them, touch the buttons and then eat something or touch their mouths and then the next thing they know they are sick and its suddenly all the cruise lines fault.

You can just as easily get sick at work or at the mall. Now I understand what you are saying..........you paid alot of money to go on this vacation and don't want to have it ruined by getting sick. Nobody does.

The only way a cruiseline could 110% prevent the spread is by making all passengers and crew where surgical mask and gloves. Don't think that is going to happen.

If the slight possibility of catching a virus worries people that bad then cruising (especially during the winter) is not the vacation for them. Unfortunatly you can just as easily get sick at a resort or hotel. Viruses are everywhere and we always run the chance of getting contaminated. The best thing to do is use universal precations. WASH WASH WASH.:D

WOW, If you're are really that worried about it, seems like you'd be better suited for a land based vacation. Cruising isn't for everyone.

I agree with you 100%....You hit a nerve on most of these people that's why most of them are so upset.:eek:

One thing we all have to remember (myself definitely included) is that just because there is an outbreak of a Noro-type virus, respiratory illness, etc.. does not mean that we will all catch it. It's very dependant on a multitude of factors -- perhaps the most important of these is the individual's immune system. I know I am stating the obvious, but sometimes I think a lot of us (again, myself included) begin to get worked up over things that haven't even happened to us yet. :rolleyes:

There was also a very good article in last Sundays usa today quoting the cdc on this very thing and they clearly state that it is not a cruise ship problem but a people problem. Its all about the $ here, at home in public places when you come down sick you havent paid thousands to do so but a cruise is different so because cruises are sidetracked because of this these people blame the cruise lines. I think a lot of the problems are in the closed invirements (airplanes) we use to get to our cruises. You can hear people caughing, gaging and all sorts of things on the plane and you just sit there hoping that they dont givr you anything. You might be able to pull the usa article up on line, I did not try.

It is the type of problem inherent to cruise ships, anyone not willing to take the chance and that feels it's someone's fault, should spend their $$$ elsewhere. They are not suited for cruising, at least not the type I can afford.

It is the type of problem inherent to cruise ships, anyone not willing to take the chance and that feels it's someone's fault, should spend their $$$ elsewhere. They are not suited for cruising, at least not the type I can afford.

Here here! It all boils down to your above statement DeanD. Let those that want to enjoy their cruise do just that and those that won't, go do something else.

A perfect example of someone who expects everyone else to pay for whatever bad luck falls into her life. While we're drydocking all those ships, let's ground all the aircraft, close all the schools and malls, and give the entire country a good scrubbing.

Sorry, people, but sometimes bad things happen to nice people, and it is nobody's fault. I wonder if the people screaming so loudly about what "they" should do to sanitize the world do the same to their own homes if company is expected. I hope Lyn doesn't come down with anything at Disneyworld.

Lynncruiser,

I understand that you don't want to spend $12,000 on a vacation and get sick. As mentioned cruise ships, because of the enclosed enviroment with a couple thousand people in close proximity to each other, makes them a higher risk for transmitting this disease among several people rather quickly.

But, that's a problem often shared everywhere, although to a lessor degree. Also mentioned have been a few resorts in Vegas. Again, many people in close proximity sharing surfaces (slot machines, cards, buffets et....). Vacation resorts that have public faciilities share a risk if you use those public facitlities. Even public bathrooms have risk (did the person just leaving wash their hands before touching the door and did you just touch that same door?)

No matter where you choose to vacation, picking up an illness is a risk. The only solution would be to not take a vacation.

Cruise ships, IMO, do present a larger risk since people are eating in large groups in the same restaurants, sharing public facilities, pools and spa's. If that larger risk is not worth taking for you, then the only solution is not to cruise. Laying blame, wherever it might be, won't bring back your vacation time even if it does bring back your vacation dollars.

Go with what you're comfortable with. As for me, I'll keep cruising. The gain is well worth the risk IMHO.

No you can't. It is not an enclosed environment like a ship.:D

Sure you can. You just don't stay at the mall or office long enough for the symptoms to develop. No one is tracking you illness when you are in your own home praying at the porcelain altar.

Sure you can. You just don't stay at the mall or office long enough for the symptoms to develop.

No you CAN'T. I am a mall rat....

No one is tracking you illness when you are in your own home praying at the porcelain altar.

This sounds like a religious and personal matter.:D

We were on the Grand Princess this fall and I was impressed that they had dispensers for hand sanitizer at the entrances to the buffet (didn't see them anywhere else though). I was particularly mindful to use sanitizer after coming down the staircase and running my hand along the railing. You're not going to be able to totally prevent the spread of a virulent infection, particularly in close quarters, but a little bit of common sense can go a long way.

Kathy

We were on the Grand Princess this fall and I was impressed that they had dispensers for hand sanitizer at the entrances to the buffet (didn't see them anywhere else though). I was particularly mindful to use sanitizer after coming down the staircase and running my hand along the railing. You're not going to be able to totally prevent the spread of a virulent infection, particularly in close quarters, but a little bit of common sense can go a long way.

Kathy

The alcohol based hand sanitizers are GREAT. It's refreshing to hear that some ships have the dispensers at the buffet line. The CDC has data showing that these alcohol based gel sanitizers are as effective (if not moreso than) as handwashing (unless your hands are visibly soiled and/or unless you have just used the restroom -- in these two cases you should wash with soap and warm water and follow by using the gel). Be on the safe side and take a few of the small bottles for yourself and your travelmates. :)

We were on Celebrity's Constellation in December and the hand washers were at the buffet. I would imagine that RCCL would do the same, but I don't know. Lyncruiser, if you are worried that you have spent $12k for a vacation, then I would also agree that you don't do cruises in the winter. How do you think the cruise lines can control people coming onto the ship that may have been exposed to the virus? There have been people who paid a lot of money, at least to them, for a vacation and come hell or high water, they are going, even if sick. So what would you like the cruise lines to do? I think you need to be a bit more realistic and perhaps not cruise in winter, or maybe if you are so worried, not cruise at all. That's just MHO though.

Katie

Archived