HAL Itinerary vs Celebrity itinerary

Xwordgal

I'm planning a Caribbean cruise on either of the two cruise lines stated. I've never been to the Caribbean before and need help in choosing between the two?

HAL: Half Moon Bay, Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turks, San Juan, St. Maarten, Half Moon Bay

CELEBRITY (2 different itineraries) : St. Thomas or St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Tobago or Bonaire, Caracao

It's not the difference between the ships that I'm truly interested in (although I just did HAL..never did Celebrity)...I mostly am interested in the best itineraries between the both???? Although I'll take any comments as to the difference, but mostly itineraries.

HELP!

Not that many people will have been to all the destinations covered. You're definitely taking the less-traveled road either way.

Here's what I know:

San Juan: Old City is very photogenic, if your ship docks here it is the easiest port to just walk around on your own.

St Thomas, St Maarten & Antigua are generally similar in climate and topography. St Thomas has steep hills and more of a concentration of people; Antigua is more rural and uncrowded with rounded hills and lots of beaches; St Maarten is literally and figuratively between the two.

St Lucia is rugged with a somewhat wetter climate, very scenic; not as much of a beach destination. You'd probably want to book an excursion.

Rest of ports: never been.

Both routes offer a varied slice of the region. Although I'm partly speculating, the HAL route looks maybe a little easier in terms of not having to organize things, just walk off the ship on your own; San Juan is very easy for this, St Maarten almost as much, and a couple others I think as well.

On the other hand if you like to do some research and book excursions it looks like the Celebrity routes offer more real-world options like local culture and natural history. Of course you can sip a cool one on the sand just about anywhere, but I think the HAL route favors this a bit more and Celebrity offers some alternatives. If you like scenery and nature, I think Celebrity offers a bit more variety.

You'll get palm trees and balmy breezes either way, and destinations that are a bit out of the way even for travelers who have been to the Caribbean a few times.

Dear "Lard":

First, I love your CC name, just as you might understand mine (think NY Times Sunday & WSJ "Cross" word puzzles).

Your information was fabulous & informative. I really appreciate your effort. I actually booked the Celebrity cruise because of the varied port stops and the challenges involved.

Again, thanks.

Joann

Dear "Lard":

First, I love your CC name, just as you might understand mine (think NY Times Sunday & WSJ "Cross" word puzzles).

Your information was fabulous & informative. I really appreciate your effort. I actually booked the Celebrity cruise because of the varied port stops and the challenges involved.

Again, thanks.

Joann

You're welcome.

Not everybody gets the name. I also like the NYT Sunday.

Of the ports listed, I would recommend Antigua as a beach destination. White sand under blue skies, not very crowded particularly if you go southwest on the coast. Your other ports offer a wide variety of choices.

If I were absolutely frazzled and burned out the HAL route would a be nice one on which to unwind. But if you like to do research and organize excursions (something like a crossword puzzle) the Celebrity looks quite a bit more interesting. It definitely involves some of the prettier islands.

We have been to all the above islands, several 3-4 times... You will not be disapointed with either cruise... The only thing I would ad is if you do a future cruise try finding one that stops at St.Barts :):):).. Has to be one of our favorite stops...Enjoy we do...:)

Archived