J116 - Secret Treasures - Mismatched Itinerary

Wilkono

I'm very, very keen to book this cruise. Unfortunately, it seems that P&O can't even make up their mind where they are going. On P&O's website, the map and description indicates that it visits Pentecost Island, as well as Isle of Pines. However the itinerary (on the same page) replaces Isle of Pines with Noumea, and Pentecost Island is left out entirely

http://www.pocruises.com.au/FindACruise/Pages/CruiseProfile.aspx?CruiseCode=J116

I've just emailed them to confirm, but I thought this was a little strange. I would love to visit Isle of Pines, as Noumea wasn't all that spectacular for me the first time.

I'm very, very keen to book this cruise. Unfortunately, it seems that P&O can't even make up their mind where they are going. On P&O's website, the map and description indicates that it visits Pentecost Island, as well as Isle of Pines. However the itinerary (on the same page) replaces Isle of Pines with Noumea, and Pentecost Island is left out entirely

http://www.pocruises.com.au/FindACruise/Pages/CruiseProfile.aspx?CruiseCode=J116

I've just emailed them to confirm, but I thought this was a little strange. I would love to visit Isle of Pines, as Noumea wasn't all that spectacular for me the first time.

Hi Wilkono, I see what you mean:confused::confused:...very strange, has to be an error. (hopefully Noumea is the mistake and not Isle of Pines!!!). I hope they get back to you soon, let us know.

Jenny

An agent contacted P&O for me, and confirmed that the cruise itinerary included:

Luganville

Pentecost

Vila

Mystery Island

Noumea

I guess its solved, but still frustrated that I miss out on Isle of Pines AGAIN.

I wonder why every cruise with every cruiseline goes to Noumea? They swap and change the other ports of call around but never Noumea. Anyone know if there is a reason that Noumea is always a port of call?

Jillybean:)

Hi Jillybean, I've heard it's because to gain access to the other islands in New Caledonia, that the cruise lines are obliged to also visit Noumea regularly. (don't know how true this is). Also this is a refueling port.

Jenny

I don't know the answer, but I am wondering if it is because it has a big port.

I know when we went on our cruise to the sth Pacific, only 2 of the 5 places had proper port facilities, the others we had to use tenders.

My guess is that the ship is more likely to be able to stop at a port, whereas tendering might be a bit more iffy, depending on weather. And ships probably want to be able to stay on track as far as possible to avoid irate passengers.

Plus-proper ports give the ship a chance to stock up on provisions.

I am also guessing there is more likelihood of offering a range of shore excursions at the bigger spots.

Have to say, I did love Isle of Pines though-one of my favourites of the 5 places we went.

I wonder why every cruise with every cruiseline goes to Noumea? They swap and change the other ports of call around but never Noumea. Anyone know if there is a reason that Noumea is always a port of call?

Jillybean:)

Hows this Jilly, our Rhapsody cruise to Fiji ironically stops at all the usual stops except Noumea!!...we have Lifou but not Noumea...i was actually hoping we would but alas no....:)

Archived