Island Currencies?

sunshine 229

I've just recently booked a cruise that includes stops at several islands in Vanuatu and New Caledonia. While looking up some port info I've noticed that each island seems to use different currency and I'm wondering how other travelers have coped with this. If I want to buy lunch or pick up a small souvenir in different ports will I need to carry 3 or 4 different currencies or will most of the islands accept AUD or some other currency besides their native one.

Also, if I need to get small amounts of a number of currencies, is there some where once I get to Sydney where I can do this relatively easily?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

They all take US funds......but your change will be in local currency....and your exchange might not be quite right. I just used US money.....the onlyplace I carred correct currency was Australia and New Zealand. I liked getting change in the country's currency because I brought it home as a souviner.

I've just recently booked a cruise that includes stops at several islands in Vanuatu and New Caledonia. While looking up some port info I've noticed that each island seems to use different currency and I'm wondering how other travelers have coped with this. If I want to buy lunch or pick up a small souvenir in different ports will I need to carry 3 or 4 different currencies or will most of the islands accept AUD or some other currency besides their native one.

Also, if I need to get small amounts of a number of currencies, is there some where once I get to Sydney where I can do this relatively easily?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Hi there - You can just use Australian dollars in Vanuatu as they will take accept it anywhere there for almost $ for $. As for New Caledonia you can purchase $ onboard the ship which is at the same rate as most places - make it easier. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip:D

Forgot to ask - what ship?? P&O ships have ATM's on each which is Australian $$.

Thanks for the responses. it will make it easier if I don't have to try to get a lot of different money. I'll bring some AUD for my days pre and post cruise in Australia but won't need to bother for the islands.

Whether or not you choose to convert your money depends upon the island. While you probably can find someone on every island that will accept $USD, don't count on it. Tent cities set up to sell souvenirs next to the ship's pier will probably accept anything. Not so everywhere. If you are in French Polynesia, I would highly recommend changing to Fr. Polynesian Francs (CPF/XPF) unless you are locked into ship's shore excursions all day that are pre-paid. When we were in New Caledonia, we changed to a small amount of local curency. It worked out to be cheaper for us, especially when we did some shopping for pate, cheese, wine, and baguettes at the local Super-Marche two blocks from the pier.

-Bob-

Archived